Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 12:05 PM

613 posts, read 944,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyinma View Post
Thanks for thoughts, both, on Groton and on commute. Love the town from what I've seen and need to explore more. Any feedback on feel of town (I know, hard to characterize) in terms of community?
I've only been to Nashua a few times, so I can't speak to living there. Groton, I got to know fairly well maybe 10-12 years ago. It's very pretty out there. But property taxes are nuts, maybe that doesn't matter to you tho. And besides the pretty countryside, there didn't seem like a lot of "there, there", in terms of local restaurants, etc.

Would your Doctor-Hubby have to pay Mass. income tax on his salary from NH? That, plus Groton property taxes would be a giant bite every year. (not that NH property taxes are cheap--depending on the town).

I could suggest researching desirable NH towns near Nashua--you can get way more house in NH for the $$ generally--but it doesn't sound like you want to do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 12:57 PM

32 posts, read 111,033 times
Thanks, yes, true about denseness. I guess what I was hoping--potentially against hope--is that there is some magical town in the region that, while relatively rural, is still quite social--but I know from growing up in a two-acre zoning-town that spread out towns do not translate well to this type of community.

Old 07-29-2015, 01:58 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,239,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyinma View Post
Thanks, yes, true about denseness. I guess what I was hoping--potentially against hope--is that there is some magical town in the region that, while relatively rural, is still quite social--but I know from growing up in a two-acre zoning-town that spread out towns do not translate well to this type of community.
People like Concord NH for its pleasant, family oriented and small town atmosphere. Maybe it would be worth the commute?

What about Portsmouth?

Check out Peterborough as well. Longer commute for sure, but it might be exactly what you are looking for?
It has great community and surprising vibrancy.

Old 07-29-2015, 02:18 PM

10,014 posts, read 15,659,151 times
Amherst, NH is a pretty town. Upscale for southern NH.

Old 07-29-2015, 02:30 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,138,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingeorge View Post
People like Concord NH for its pleasant, family oriented and small town atmosphere. Maybe it would be worth the commute?

What about Portsmouth?

Check out Peterborough as well. Longer commute for sure, but it might be exactly what you are looking for?
It has great community and surprising vibrancy.
Peterborough is a bit of a haul to Nashua (40-50+ minutes. Snow? Forget it.). And while I love the town, resale appears to be abysmal. Well maintained/desirable properties have stagnated months (if not years) on the market. A great market for a buyer, but at some point most do become sellers.

Concord is a haul too.

I work in Hollis and have many coworkers who seem to be satisfied with Mont Vernon. Most are young families who relocated from the Manchester or Nashua metros. This said, if OP has the budget for Harvard, Groton, Westford, etc., then they can most certainly afford a home in Hollis ... which is the NH equivalent to the Harvard/Carlisle - bucolic, well educated, and moneyed.

Old 07-29-2015, 03:36 PM

18,722 posts, read 33,380,506 times
Peterborough is a horrible drive in winter weather over the mountain to Nashua. It is one of the few southern NH towns (although that's actually s.w.) that isn't a drive-through suburb. It sounds like OP really wants a town-life feel. I'd think West Concord might do it if the drive just isn't too far.

Old 07-29-2015, 11:14 PM

187 posts, read 217,278 times
It sounds like OP and husband don't mind taxes and clearly NH is not for them. I personally love Groton, but while house hunting we realized it was too far from jobs...also its a sleepy town and doesn't sound like what you want. Acton does sound like what you want but too far for a commute. I didn't like the feel of Westford at all, "downtown" just wasn't for me. If commute works go with Concord, or Andover otherwise you might need to compromise.

Old 07-30-2015, 07:11 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,138,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peabody99 View Post
It sounds like OP and husband don't mind taxes and clearly NH is not for them. I personally love Groton, but while house hunting we realized it was too far from jobs...also its a sleepy town and doesn't sound like what you want. Acton does sound like what you want but too far for a commute. I didn't like the feel of Westford at all, "downtown" just wasn't for me. If commute works go with Concord, or Andover otherwise you might need to compromise.
Another option is Bedford, which is about 35 minutes from Nashua due to the reserve commute. Budget might be an issue though. It's not Acton, but it might be the best compromise the OP can make.

Old 07-30-2015, 08:03 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingeorge View Post
What about Portsmouth?
I lived in Portsmouth for a decade. I think it's the best place to live in New Hampshire and exactly what the OP is looking for other than maybe the school system. I walked or bicycled everywhere. The commute to Nashua every day would get pretty old. The farthest I ever commuted was Exit 3/Windham exit on I-93. That was fine. 45 minutes is worth not having to live in the suburban hell of the Massachusetts/New Hampshire inland border towns. 101 to Manchester and then down the Everett Turnpike is a bit far to do every day.

I bought a house in Winchester, MA when I worked in Salem, New Hampshire. I don't care what the income taxes are, I'm not living anywhere near Salem, NH. I have the same opinion about Nashua.

Andover, Ma is a more reachable to Nashua and has more of the walkable town center. I lived there many years ago. I'd do that long before trying to commute from Concord, Mass.

Old 07-30-2015, 08:42 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,239,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I lived in Portsmouth for a decade. I think it's the best place to live in New Hampshire and exactly what the OP is looking for other than maybe the school system. I walked or bicycled everywhere. The commute to Nashua every day would get pretty old. The farthest I ever commuted was Exit 3/Windham exit on I-93. That was fine. 45 minutes is worth not having to live in the suburban hell of the Massachusetts/New Hampshire inland border towns. 101 to Manchester and then down the Everett Turnpike is a bit far to do every day.

I bought a house in Winchester, MA when I worked in Salem, New Hampshire. I don't care what the income taxes are, I'm not living anywhere near Salem, NH. I have the same opinion about Nashua.

Andover, Ma is a more reachable to Nashua and has more of the walkable town center. I lived there many years ago. I'd do that long before trying to commute from Concord, Mass.
I agree. Andover might be the best compromise if willing to stay in MA. OP also knows that what they are looking for will be some kind of compromise for sure, in the end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts