Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 07:33 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times

Advertisements

When Mass basically just had Stop & Shop and a few other grocers here and there. Then I would say Mass was comparable or more expensive for groceries. Now with a number of different grocers, there is competition and the prices have come down. Especially with Market Basket adding more and more stores. So I find the Mass prices lower now, than people might find elsewhere on the East Coast anyway.

Now that I'm retired and living in Florida, I'm disgusted not only with the high cost of groceries. It's the lack of options for grocery shopping. It's Publix Publix and more Publix with a few Winn Dixie's thrown in. Publix is rather expensive and its selections can at times seem limited. Winn Dixie is just a nasty looking store, and I wouldn't waste my time going there. I'm up here in Mass for part of the summer, and I have shopped in Market Basket several times. Even though the store's location is right on the Mass RI border, and extremely busy. I will definitely miss this store and their varied grocery selections. I will definitely miss the low prices, because I will not see them at Publix in Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2015, 03:45 AM

116 posts, read 183,863 times
I think that Publix is expensive period. They are all over the place here in SC and where I am moving to in NC as well. THe locals in Wilmington nc are very excited because Publix is coming. I can't afford to shop there. I only go for buy one get one free sales. Would never think of just running in there to get a few things. They are the store that a gallon of milk is over $5
I miss market basket!!!

Old 08-13-2015, 05:49 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,737,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
When Mass basically just had Stop & Shop and a few other grocers here and there. Then I would say Mass was comparable or more expensive for groceries. Now with a number of different grocers, there is competition and the prices have come down. Especially with Market Basket adding more and more stores. So I find the Mass prices lower now, than people might find elsewhere on the East Coast anyway.

Now that I'm retired and living in Florida, I'm disgusted not only with the high cost of groceries. It's the lack of options for grocery shopping. It's Publix Publix and more Publix with a few Winn Dixie's thrown in. Publix is rather expensive and its selections can at times seem limited. Winn Dixie is just a nasty looking store, and I wouldn't waste my time going there. I'm up here in Mass for part of the summer, and I have shopped in Market Basket several times. Even though the store's location is right on the Mass RI border, and extremely busy. I will definitely miss this store and their varied grocery selections. I will definitely miss the low prices, because I will not see them at Publix in Florida.
Jim Nice to hear from someone from MA who retired to FL saying all is not better/cheaper in FL.

When in MA I used to call those originally from MA that moved to FL and came back to visit and said all was better/cheaper in FL, Flo-rons. A combination of Florida and Morons.

Given the choice between MA and FL for retirement, I would pick FL but not all is better/cheaper there.

Old 08-13-2015, 06:55 PM

1,395 posts, read 5,085,180 times
We spend about $600 a month for groceries give or take some. My weekly shopping trip to Market Basket varies somewhere between $100-150 a week. Family of 4. Two adults, 7 year old & 11 year old. I bring lunch to work. The husband was eating out everyday for lunch until he started a new job. Now he brings a can of soup or something.

Old 08-13-2015, 07:05 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Jim Nice to hear from someone from MA who retired to FL saying all is not better/cheaper in FL.

When in MA I used to call those originally from MA that moved to FL and came back to visit and said all was better/cheaper in FL, Flo-rons. A combination of Florida and Morons.

Given the choice between MA and FL for retirement, I would pick FL but not all is better/cheaper there.

Yeah I know what you mean. For retirement Fla is probably better, but it is surprising to many. Other than the housing and the lack of big winter heating bills. Fla is not really all that cheap. The groceries, anything to do with insurance, and of course electric bills in the cooling months. It can get very expensive in many ways in Fla. That and the medical and dental, leaves a lot to be desired in many areas of the state. What can you do though, you have to live somewhere.

I do wish though some other major grocers would enter the state.

Old 08-14-2015, 04:58 AM

14,249 posts, read 14,737,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Yeah I know what you mean. For retirement Fla is probably better, but it is surprising to many. Other than the housing and the lack of big winter heating bills. Fla is not really all that cheap. The groceries, anything to do with insurance, and of course electric bills in the cooling months. It can get very expensive in many ways in Fla. That and the medical and dental, leaves a lot to be desired in many areas of the state. What can you do though, you have to live somewhere.

I do wish though some other major grocers would enter the state.
I love Publix and shop there all the time. Look for Kroker to buy and expand Winn Dixie in FL.

Like it or not, the cheapest grocery stores are WalMart.

Old 08-14-2015, 05:32 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
I love Publix and shop there all the time. Look for Kroker to buy and expand Winn Dixie in FL.

Publix "A" stores in affluent areas are great. In terms of quality and selection, they're better than what most people have access to in Massachusetts. What Florida doesn't have is a Market Basket with the significantly lower pricing. If I comparison shop a Walmart and a Market Basket for the things I buy, Market Basket is significantly cheaper. That won't be true for everyone but it's my personal experience.

Food is a trivial part of my personal budget but I'm a cheap bastard so I do my major shopping at Market Basket. I don't have a food budget and my monthly average is extremely variable depending on if I'm entertaining and what food whims I have. Some weeks, I'm buying lobster meat for lobster rolls, scallops, boneless leg of lamb, and rib eye at the butcher. Farm stand produce ain't cheap but there is nothing like a tomato, corn, or lettuce picked that day. Other months, particularly in the winter, I'll be eating $2.00/pound protein sources out of the freezer, romaine heart 3-packs, and grape tomatoes and my food cost drops to next to nothing.

Old 08-14-2015, 06:14 AM

1,708 posts, read 2,911,951 times
I have begun shopping at Market Basket due to a move and have found their name brand organics cheaper than store brands at Hannaford and Whole foods. Plus, there seems to be a few MB brand organics as well.

Once we get a house I want to give Costco a try. I love to shop at stores that treat their people right like Trader Joes, Costco, and MB.

Old 08-14-2015, 08:03 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,812,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringMom3 View Post
600 a month for groceries and another maybe 600ish for fast food & restaurants (dunkin for breakfast/etc.)

2 adults, 2 kids and an infant.
Didn't know you had another baby. Congrats on the new addition to the family!

Old 08-14-2015, 08:07 AM

837 posts, read 1,225,755 times
Quote:
Not necessarily. I've seen stuff that's more expensive at our local Walmart than it is at our local Hannaford. OTOH there are things at Walmart which are significantly (think nearly Market Basket) priced less, but not a whole lot of them.

Prices depend on the geographical area and the closest competition. The more affluent the area and the less nearby competition, the higher the prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts