Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 03:00 PM

91 posts, read 127,453 times

Advertisements

I think the best option would be to take the Lakeville line from Lakeville. Its an hour on the train, but the drive to newport is usually free of traffic. Going through providence during rush hour is unpredictable and that can be very stressful.
The drive from Mansfield to Newport is just too long. Seekonk is not convenient to any rail stop. If you dont care about schools you can live in suburban E. Taunton/Raynham off of 44 or 140. If you do, you can live in Lakeville, again near 44 or 140. Plus, Lakeville is beautiful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2015, 03:57 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,311,302 times
I'm guessing her husband's job is the crucial one since it's navy. He can't change job locations, sounds like she could

Old 08-07-2015, 05:57 PM

120 posts, read 234,298 times
Have you thought about living in Wickford RI and taking commuter rail from there? The Newport commute is relatively painless from there and the ride is about 2h or so to S. Station, which admittedly is a hike. Warwick/E. Greenwich would be another option

Old 08-07-2015, 07:01 PM

12,729 posts, read 21,879,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post

The Middleboro line is also directly on Route 24 which gives a somewhat less congested ride to Newport, although the last few miles are on a local road with traffic lights.
Where is the Middleborough Line directly on 24? The Middleborough/Lakeville stop is right at 495. That exit is about 10 miles South of the 24/495 interchange which means your backtracking if you're heading to/from Newport via 24. The Bridgewater and Brockton stations aren't impossibly far from 24 as the crow flies, but access to the stations from 24 is along crowded roads that aren't exactly a breeze (104 and 123) during peak hours.

As someone who commuted from North Dartmouth to Boston for a while along 24, the Middleborough line wasn't an option because it really wasn't accessible enough from 24.

Old 08-07-2015, 10:23 PM

23,296 posts, read 18,454,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knaapan View Post
Seekonk is not convenient to any rail stop.
Depending on where in Seekonk, the S. Attleboro station is only minutes away. Saying that, I'd feel nervous leaving my vehicle there every day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knaapan View Post
Have you thought about living in Wickford RI and taking commuter rail from there? The Newport commute is relatively painless from there and the ride is about 2h or so to S. Station, which admittedly is a hike. Warwick/E. Greenwich would be another option
Another good idea. Well maybe not all the way from Wickford, but Warwick/E. Greenwich might be an option. Some areas of Cranston are also very convenient to the T.F. Green stop. What's a few more minutes on the train?

Old 08-08-2015, 06:52 AM

9,259 posts, read 14,834,877 times
I would second re-thinking your job. What is your field? You'd be better off much closer to Newport. Everyone says RI is so hard to find a job in, but it really depends on your speciality.

Old 08-08-2015, 08:19 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,680,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Where is the Middleborough Line directly on 24? The Middleborough/Lakeville stop is right at 495. That exit is about 10 miles South of the 24/495 interchange which means your backtracking if you're heading to/from Newport via 24. The Bridgewater and Brockton stations aren't impossibly far from 24 as the crow flies, but access to the stations from 24 is along crowded roads that aren't exactly a breeze (104 and 123) during peak hours.

As someone who commuted from North Dartmouth to Boston for a while along 24, the Middleborough line wasn't an option because it really wasn't accessible enough from 24.
I misspoke. I meant to say that they could live close to the Middleborough line and route 24 (somewhere in between them).

The Wickford Jct ideas others are throwing around are crazy. That's a solid 4+ hours a day of commuting in the best case scenario. TF Green and Wickford are the first stops to get axed in the event of mechanical problems or bad weather. Sometimes they provide shuttle buses to Providence, many times they don't even bother. I realize a couple hundred people a day do that commute but I'd be shocked if any of them really enjoy it.

Old 08-08-2015, 08:39 AM

3,075 posts, read 5,635,203 times
If you want a little more of a bigger city, maybe New Bedford. Just throwing it out there.

Old 08-08-2015, 09:03 AM

120 posts, read 234,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
I misspoke. I meant to say that they could live close to the Middleborough line and route 24 (somewhere in between them).

The Wickford Jct ideas others are throwing around are crazy. That's a solid 4+ hours a day of commuting in the best case scenario. TF Green and Wickford are the first stops to get axed in the event of mechanical problems or bad weather. Sometimes they provide shuttle buses to Providence, many times they don't even bother. I realize a couple hundred people a day do that commute but I'd be shocked if any of them really enjoy it.
The only time it's really been axe'ed (admitedly it was only since last December I've taken it) was during Feburary and March of the previous winter (the record setting crazy one where the T basically failed all over)

Old 08-08-2015, 09:28 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,680,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicy J View Post
The only time it's really been axe'ed (admitedly it was only since last December I've taken it) was during Feburary and March of the previous winter (the record setting crazy one where the T basically failed all over)
A few days ago TF Green and Wickford Junction were out of commission due to the thunderstorms. The first few trips they offered no shuttle bus, then they added them in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts