Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 02:55 PM

6 posts, read 12,800 times

Advertisements

My fiance accepted a job in Boston. We are from Chicago, but are now living in Nebraska. We know the cost of living is high and have experienced it firsthand living in the Windy City. We accumulated some canine friends (2) while living in Nebraska so housing that allows our pups is a must. We WANT to stay around $1,000 for a studio or one bedroom, but would be willing to go up to $1,300. Where is a good area in the surrounding Boston area that our price point is actually a reality? I would say 30 miles outside of the city would be our absolute furthest out we'd want to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2015, 02:58 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,989,949 times
You want to live in a studio apartment with two dogs?

Old 08-14-2015, 03:03 PM

We currently are haha and paying $450 with utilities for it.

Old 08-14-2015, 03:15 PM

974 posts, read 1,898,196 times
I'm the most dog-friendly person in the world and I cannot imagine renting to 2 dogs (unless tea cup size) in a studio... Then up to 30 miles from Boston... and for under $1300.

First off --

Where is the job located? (You don't move to the north part of the city if your job is on the other side.)

Will you need public transportation or is FREE parking provided by the employer?

Size of pups?

Old 08-14-2015, 04:32 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,436,084 times
A few questions (aside from what flowbe asked you, which are also really important)...

What does 30 miles mean to you? An hour? 2 hours? By car or by public transit? For reference, my commute by car is 15 miles (about 10 miles as the crow flies) and takes me over an hour and 15 when I need to go in before my normal start time of 10. It's a suburb to suburb commute, so it would be even longer by car if I had to go into Boston! Even driving in for 10am, it takes 40+ minutes most days. With a time range and work location in mind, we can give town suggestions based on best commute.

Does he work 9-5? Will you also be looking for work in the city, or is that a concern at all?

Is $1300 (yes, you will probably need the full amount) your budget for just rent, or does that also include heat, hot water, and/or electricity? What about first/last/security/broker's fee or pet deposit/monthly fee?

Any more info you could give us would be helpful. Unfortunately, you're asking for a tall order - especially with 2 dogs. The Boston area is pet friendly in that many have dogs, there are dog parks, and dogs are often allowed to come to work, but very tough on renters with pets. The Boston metro area is much more expensive than Chicago.

Old 08-14-2015, 08:03 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,696,023 times
I think what you're looking for will be extremely difficult to find. Is $1,300/month a firm limit? If so I think you will be in for quite a bit of sticker shock when you see what that will get you. Also make sure you factor in the cost of commuting from 30 miles out - the money you think you're saving by living so far out often gets consumed by the cost of commuting.

Old 08-15-2015, 08:01 AM

132 posts, read 182,282 times
Salem. Good public transport with commuter rail and buses. Some areas may look a little rough but all are safe. I've walked all around the city and never had a problem.

Lots of people walking dogs. There is even a dog park.

Old 08-17-2015, 03:15 PM

I think our maximum for rent would be capped at $1,600. We would be looking at getting rid of one of our cars so as long as I'm relatively close to public transit I would manage (by close I mean up to 5 miles safe for walking/biking). I've actually been to Salem once before and it was a cute little touristy town. I wouldn't mind living there, it's a bit of a trek, but I never thought about that. Thanks!

Old 08-17-2015, 06:43 PM

974 posts, read 1,898,196 times
The commuter train stations are separated.. If you live on the north shore (Salem) and north west, you go in to North Station. South shore and all places west, South Station. If your work is not on either line serviced, then you add a big commute.

Without more details, you're really just limited by your budget, apartment expectations, and if they will take 2 dogs of unknown sizes. Do a Craigslist search for your budget and expectations and you'll see what folks mean here.

30 miles is FAR for a Boston commute as others have mentioned--easily a 1.5-2hr commute each way depending on means of transportation.

30 miles in Nebraska is what-- going to the grocery store?

Old 08-18-2015, 06:42 AM

317 posts, read 431,207 times
Maybe Malden? I have very limited firsthand knowledge of that town, but I know friends have found fair prices there, and it has public T access. Maybe somebody else can chime in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts