Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 03:34 PM

4,235 posts, read 3,675,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormynh View Post
I don't know in NH that was sort of routine and no big deal. Is there a reason you are unable to do this??
No, it's just that in most places you don't have to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2015, 05:40 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,359,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
No, it's just that in most places you don't have to.

No, it's just that in the places that you have lived there has been municipal trash and recycling pickup.

The vast majority of rural America does not have trash pickup.

Old 08-29-2015, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
No, it's just that in the places that you have lived there has been municipal trash and recycling pickup.

The vast majority of rural America does not have trash pickup.
You got me there, but I don't consider the Boston area to be rural. We've always lived in cities and suburbs, in the Northeast, South, and Midwest.

Old 08-29-2015, 05:45 PM

24,247 posts, read 16,930,725 times
We have to tote our trash to a transfer station and gift wrap it in yellow bags that we purchase extra plus we need a sticker to get into the station. What bugs me is we use the trash service at our office but I have to pay a sticker fee if I want to recycle which I do a lot of.

We do have the option to go with a private company and they pick up curb side but most tote their trash to the transfer station. It is a place to see folks.

Old 08-29-2015, 06:24 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,871,790 times
As an outsider it's somewhat of a shock, but many towns don't do curbside pickup. It's good to keep in mind when considering towns. The tax rates are what they are, so not having curbside pickup is an extra expense you weren't aware of. As some one mentioned not having trash pickup is a way to save money, but there isn't a strong correlation between tax rate and pickup. Often the thing that money is being "spent" on is not having a strong commercial tax base.

Another thing to look out for are towns that run their own utilities. You'll almost always save a bunch with municipal utilities.

As others have said, though, it isn't what you should base your decision on. Maybe it could break a very close tie, but the relative amounts are generally in the noise with respect to other things.

Old 08-29-2015, 08:11 PM

2,811 posts, read 2,154,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
As an outsider it's somewhat of a shock, but many towns don't do curbside pickup. It's good to keep in mind when considering towns. The tax rates are what they are, so not having curbside pickup is an extra expense you weren't aware of.
And even if there is municipal curbside pickup, it may not be included in your taxes. Some towns have "pay as you throw" and require you to buy special bags at a premium to throw your trash out.

Old 08-29-2015, 08:48 PM

Thanks for the info. It certainly sounds like in some towns it is a real pain in the tuchus. But, I wouldn't refuse to buy in a town where I had to deal with this -- it would, as jayrandom said, be a tiebreaker in two otherwise equal housing options (although I find it hard to envision having two options that were otherwise exactly equal). The reality is that we'll buy whichever house we find that we like the most that is in our price range and is in a location that suits our needs. If we have to suck it up and fill our cars with our garbage once a week, we'll deal with it. My husband was especially displeased to learn that this may be something we'll have to do, but if our 'perfect' home is in a town with no garbage pick up, then so be it.

Old 08-30-2015, 04:37 AM

187 posts, read 215,200 times
Are people that sensitive to the question of the OP? I grew up on Long Island and it was surprising many years ago to find out I would have to pay a company to haul away trash in certain towns around here. The first town I bought a house in it was included in taxes, now after I moved about a year ago I pay for the service, not a big deal...but an added expense.

Old 08-30-2015, 08:10 AM

837 posts, read 1,217,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peabody99 View Post
Are people that sensitive to the question of the OP? I grew up on Long Island and it was surprising many years ago to find out I would have to pay a company to haul away trash in certain towns around here. The first town I bought a house in it was included in taxes, now after I moved about a year ago I pay for the service, not a big deal...but an added expense.
Yeah, I was kind of surprised by that too.

I've never lived in a town which didn't have municipal trash pickup. My town has a $3 sticker program which goes on the top bag in your trash can or else it won't be picked up. Any other trash (there's a listing on the town website as to what they will/won't take) outside of the trash can needs one or more of those $3 stickers. Family in other towns pay for bags. I know people who live in towns without pickup and it's no big deal to either pay to have trash hauled or take it to the transfer facility yourself.

I've heard the people living in a particular neighborhood will come together to negotiate with a trash hauler to bring down the price. That makes sense.

Old 08-30-2015, 09:07 AM

1,199 posts, read 633,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peabody99 View Post
I think the reaction was prompted by the "seriously" in the title, combined with the disdain about having to transport trash in the car, as though it's a burden that no civilized person should have to bear.

I live in a town that doesn't have trash pickup because it prefers to dump those savings into the schools. I grew up in a town that had top-notch trash pickup, but it also had very poor schools. It's a trade-off, and not even one that's unique to the Northeast. It looks like a similar program is afoot in the OP's own backyard: Chicago homeowners likely to pay for garbage pickup soon | Chicago Sun-Times.

In my town, the more well-to-do residents who don't want to get their hands or cars dirty can hire a trash-collection service for a small fee. A few of them even have nannies or housekeepers handle that responsibility. I don't think it's really affected their lifestyles much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts