Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 05:59 AM

96 posts, read 115,682 times

Advertisements

What are the roads like in winter in Sudbury and Acton? They don't clear much around me, and driving in the winter is terrifying until I get to a bigger town like Northboro. There's always inches of slush and ice on the roads, even days after a storm. I'm hoping to move before winter, so I won't get a chance to check out the roads. The Sudbury roads seem narrow and winding, which is concerning, but hopefully their high taxes would allows for better road clearing? I have no idea about Acton.

FWIW, I used to commute from Waltham to Maynard on 117 and never had a problem with the winter driving. Whatever they did there was enough for me. I do have AWD and winter tires, but I don't like the feeling on controlled skidding, which is what driving around here is like in winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2015, 06:23 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,792,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pippiep View Post
What are the roads like in winter in Sudbury and Acton? They don't clear much around me, and driving in the winter is terrifying until I get to a bigger town like Northboro. There's always inches of slush and ice on the roads, even days after a storm. I'm hoping to move before winter, so I won't get a chance to check out the roads. The Sudbury roads seem narrow and winding, which is concerning, but hopefully their high taxes would allows for better road clearing? I have no idea about Acton.

FWIW, I used to commute from Waltham to Maynard on 117 and never had a problem with the winter driving. Whatever they did there was enough for me. I do have AWD and winter tires, but I don't like the feeling on controlled skidding, which is what driving around here is like in winter.

In Sudbury, main roads like 27 (Hudson Rd. as it continues), 20, 117, Union ave., etc are usually in decent shape. Certainly within the capability of AWD with snow tires. Neighborhoods in big storms mean you usually get one pass at the beginning and might have to wait awhile for subsequent ones (especially on the weekend). Small storms are no problem.

I grew up in Sudbury and stayed at my parents house this winter. They did a fairly good job, and I had to get to work at 3AM a few times on weekends for snow removal and could still get around but I have a Jeep. My job took me up 27 through Maynard and Acton and they were in decent shape as well.

Old 09-01-2015, 10:21 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,603,814 times
All the major roads in Acton and Sudbury have excellent snow removal. The areas of Acton around Nagog Pond are my least favorite roads in the winter, because they are hilly, need paving and are narrow. Also heavily wooded, so shady and less sun to melt the ice and snow.

Old 09-01-2015, 10:36 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,769,301 times
As others have said, major roads in the area are well plowed. You should be more concerned with the particular street or driveway you are looking at. Hills and steep driveways are no fun around here in the winter. My cul de sac is heavily wooded, so there's a layer of packed snow/ice on it for about 2 months straight.

Old 09-01-2015, 11:03 AM

Thanks. I hadn't thought to keep an eye on how wooded a road is, but that makes sense -- this is what makes my driveway more difficult than it could be. Too many trees! We're also looking at the width of the roads; some are so narrow. How did it go with all the snow banks last year? And the turns when there are snow banks; are they blind on many of the roads? (These are questions I'm asking as I drive through.)

Old 09-01-2015, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
All the major roads in Acton and Sudbury have excellent snow removal. The areas of Acton around Nagog Pond are my least favorite roads in the winter, because they are hilly, need paving and are narrow. Also heavily wooded, so shady and less sun to melt the ice and snow.
This is very helpful, thanks. I do want to avoid hilly/narrow roads. I know it's not 100%, but I'm looking to see if there are other ways around, or is hilly/narrow the main way to get from point A to point B.

Good info here.

Old 09-01-2015, 01:18 PM

154 posts, read 255,988 times
Quote:
Thanks. I hadn't thought to keep an eye on how wooded a road is, but that makes sense -- this is what makes my driveway more difficult than it could be. Too many trees! We're also looking at the width of the roads; some are so narrow. How did it go with all the snow banks last year? And the turns when there are snow banks; are they blind on many of the roads? (These are questions I'm asking as I drive through.)
Some of the back roads were pretty narrow in Sudbury with all of the snow, but the main roads were fine. They did a pretty good job of clearing snow banks at major intersections last winter, but it often took several days or more for them to get to those. I am desperately hoping this winter is not as bad...

Old 09-01-2015, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadstrailstris View Post
Some of the back roads were pretty narrow in Sudbury with all of the snow, but the main roads were fine. They did a pretty good job of clearing snow banks at major intersections last winter, but it often took several days or more for them to get to those. I am desperately hoping this winter is not as bad...
I had some problems on secondary roads like Lincoln Road and Plympton Road, but that's because I'm the idiot going 45 in a 30 on a narrow, curvy, icy road in my winter beater pickup truck. If you drive the speed limit it's fine. I actually drive slower in the spring/summer because of cyclists and joggers going around the blind curves.

Old 09-02-2015, 11:03 AM

How was Willis Rd in Sudbury last winter? Every time I go look at houses, I seem to end up on that road, which is very narrow and winding. Is it a often-used road if you live in N. Sudbury?

Old 09-02-2015, 12:38 PM

Quote:
How was Willis Rd in Sudbury last winter? Every time I go look at houses, I seem to end up on that road, which is very narrow and winding. Is it a often-used road if you live in N. Sudbury?
I drove on it everyday, it seemed fine to me. I wouldn't walk on it though. Everyone from the Bowker neighborhood uses Willis Rd to get onto Rt-27 when they go into town (the area by Sudbury Farms plaza). There are alternate routes out of the neighborhood like Mossman, then use Morse to get onto Concord Rd, but Willis is the one that gets you onto the main road the fastest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts