Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 02:28 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,003,761 times

Advertisements

What towns have you found too "old-fashioned"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2015, 02:33 PM

161 posts, read 212,977 times
Hi chicagoliz,

I lived in lakeview and Lincoln square for a few years and spent time in roscoe village, Rogers park, downtown and some suburbs. I love love love Chicago for its walkability, restaurants, shops, museums etc. I'm sure I would love living inside of Boston But the prices are greater than Chicago and I just cannot afford. I like chain stores ( but like local stores too) I don't really like chain restaurants so Olive Garden is not what I'm looking for - again it's hard to describe what I mean by modern. Perhaps I am indeed thinking of the cookie cutter suburbs you speak of since that's more of what I am used to. Maybe The Main Street USA is just too drastic of a transition for me at the moment.

Old 09-08-2015, 02:34 PM

786 posts, read 774,001 times
Depends how far you want to live from Boston. If you explore the towns west of 495 you'll get more for your money. I am a bit biased because I've lived in Shrewsbury/Westborough all my life, but Westborough has a walk-able town center with plenty of shops and restaurants along Route 30, and in the Bay State Commons area. They are building some new apartments in the town center. Not sure how much they'll be going for or how many beds/baths. If you want more places to shop there's a plaza in Northborough with a huge supermarket called Wegmans. Then there's the Solomon Pond Mall in Marlborough, or if you want to drive further east there's the Natick mall.

You go 12 miles west and you'll have access to all Worcester has to offer. Boston is around 28 miles east. When I go into Boston for entertainment during non-peak hours it takes me 40 minutes. You'll have access to the Westborough commuter rail, but it's very slow. Shrewsbury's school system is pretty good (I went through the whole system, kindergarden through high school). I am sure Westborough's schools are just as good, if not better.

http://time.com/money/collection/bes...-to-live-2015/

Quote:
Go West, young family! With a median single-family home price under $400,000, Westborough offers an outpost of affordability in the greater Boston area. Although it’s 30 miles outside the city, Westborough’s proximity to the Massachusetts Turnpike puts commuters on the path of least resistance into Cambridge and Boston — 45 minutes to an hour or so in heavy traffic. The journey by train takes over an hour.

There are good jobs closer to home too. Large employers in town include BJ’s Wholesale Club, BNY Mellon Wealth Management, and Integrated Genetics — and next-door Worcester has numerous large employers in technology, life sciences, financial services, and health care, including the University of Massachusetts Medical School and Medical Center.

There’s not a ton going on after dark in this sleepy town of about 18,000, but during daylight hours, residents get outside on extensive conservation lands protected by the Westborough Community Land Trust and in the 427-acre Westboro Wildlife Management Area (where hikers and bikers share the land with hunters). The public school ranks high in statewide comparisons, with 20% minority enrollment (majority Asian), and nearly a 99% graduation rate. Parents here are smart, too — 57% of adult residents have a higher-education degree, among the highest rates in a smart state.—Adam Bluestein
Westborough made #14, but there's always three or four new MA towns on this list that rotate every year. Westborough has very high property taxes though. They're in the top 25 in the state. Shrewsbury's property tax rate is very reasonable and they have their own cable and electric company. This means better rates.

In MA it's hard to have proximity to Boston, amazing schools, tons of amenities, big house, lots of land. Usually you have to compromise on each to match your budget. You're not going to get everything unless you bring lots of money to the table.

Last edited by Louisville Slugger; 09-08-2015 at 02:49 PM..

Old 09-08-2015, 02:41 PM

161 posts, read 212,977 times
Cantabridgienne - an example would be Wakefield that we drove through today. I know there were others we have seen while driving through with family but cannot tell you the name. I've only been here 2 weeks. maybe I am indeed looking for more cookie cutter areas? But I do love the character in the homes so it's definitely not that.

Thanks

Old 09-08-2015, 02:41 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,003,761 times
Maybe Waltham?

Old 09-08-2015, 02:45 PM

15,811 posts, read 6,873,166 times
Boston and Brookline are quaint. That is their charm.

Old 09-08-2015, 02:45 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,219,290 times
We are tiny state and overcrowded in Eastern MA. There is simply no space for new modern shopping plazas in the middle of the old towns. Check Lynnfiled or Hingham and see if their new adjacent shopping districts are to your liking. Also Watertown with Watertown Mall and Arsenal Mall nearby. Burlington Mall is not too far away from Watertown either. Many areas with shopping usually cater to families and there is not many rentals to choose from.

Change of scenery should not scare you. I would be more worried about job commute, getting best rental for my money, and avoiding crime ridden areas, than that MA looks different. Your quality of life could be amazing or awful depending on where you land, so be careful.

Good luck.

Old 09-08-2015, 02:52 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,728,963 times
From what I saw in the cookie cutter subdivisions of Chicago up north toward Wisconsin, I can't think of any place in Eastern MA like them.

Old 09-08-2015, 02:56 PM

3,671 posts, read 7,359,721 times
Where are you living now? Where do you need to commute to for work?

Old 09-08-2015, 03:09 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,585,524 times
I think you'd like Lexington or Newton, but would likely find those towns beyond your budget.

Burlington could be a good compromise, with its Wegmans and growing restaurant scene. Very techie and becoming a suburban version of Kendall Square. The residential areas of Burlington may still be too quaint for your taste still.

There is no true suburban version of Kendall Square. I have a feeling that's what you have in mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts