Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 05:45 PM

63 posts, read 91,293 times

Advertisements

Been quoted about 200/sqft in a building estimate for an extension project involving building out a double storey bathroom add-on + 2500 for fixtures. This includes foundation being built.

Interested in knowing what others have been quoted for similar work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2015, 07:18 AM

317 posts, read 427,375 times
I don't have an answer, but would like to add to OP's question:

$200/SF is roughtly what I've heard for expansion/addition optons as well (if adding a 2nd floor to an existing home, etc).

Is the cost higher or lower, or about the same, if you are going with brand new construction on a buildable lot?

Old 09-15-2015, 08:08 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,219,290 times
Someone I know got around $40-45K quote for the first floor expansion and foundation last year. I think they also wanted bath. I am not sure about fixtures--but yours seem little low.

Old 09-22-2015, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingeorge View Post
Someone I know got around $40-45K quote for the first floor expansion and foundation last year. I think they also wanted bath. I am not sure about fixtures--but yours seem little low.
So, we received a revised quote. It's still 200/sqft however there will be an additional cost for removing the siding of the house, interior remodelling (not sure what includes/covers), and removal of deck as the side bump out would be set back a bit from the front but extend all the way to the deck.

We'rd going to try and get a clearer understanding of the costs tomorrow hopefully by talking to the contractor.

Old 09-22-2015, 03:08 AM

513 posts, read 640,295 times
$200 sq ft seems within the ballpark of what I have heard. $2,500 for fixtures does seem very low. Is this a full bath? Is this an allowance or will the contractor be purchasing the fixtures for you?
Definitely make sure you receive a clear quote on what "remodeling" covers. If you don't nail down what that means and what it will cost, that definitely sounds like a potential can of worms.
Good luck!

Old 09-22-2015, 06:28 AM

Thank you for your responses.

No idea what 2,500 can buy you here yet. Downstairs will be a powder/mud/utility room and upstairs would be full bath.

I would have thought that siding removal would be part of the addition cost or is the 200/sqft the typical figure for literary construction only?

I'm wondering if by interior remodelling he means, removal of window from the side the extension will go on and adding an internal door plus whatever framing/trim that may be needed.

This then makes me wonder about the large window we planned to put in on the exterior wall - this had been discussed but I'm wondering if it'll be an additional cost to get one we like and want as opposed to whatever works for the contractors budget.

Feedback please!

Old 09-22-2015, 10:37 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,219,290 times
You might be looking at much bigger cost. Do you have permits? Plans (need them for permits)? Architect? Will contractor do your design? Who does electrical? Roof? Siding and insulation? Windows? Do you understand you setbacks laws? Do you have any wetland area? Is contractor insured? What about new facade?

Be very careful about what is really included in your quote, and who is doing it. Everything needs to be spelled out to the nails they will be using. Always need to budget extra 20% of an original quote for contingency and in case of problem that can arise after construction starts (something always happens to make it costlier than planned).

For two baths fixture amount is ridiculous. You can possibly get away with that in the mud room if only one sink or toilet is there. Rarely you recoup your full construction costs when you sell, so consider a house with these things already in place especially if your home location is not very sought after.

Good luck.

Old 09-22-2015, 11:53 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,359,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransnationalElite View Post

Feedback please!

My feedback is that you need to direct these questions to the contractor providing the bid. You need to specify in writing exactly what fixtures, windows, doors, etc. you want used.

Old 09-22-2015, 11:57 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,751,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingeorge View Post
You might be looking at much bigger cost. Do you have permits? Plans (need them for permits)? Architect? Will contractor do your design? Who does electrical? Roof? Siding and insulation? Windows? Do you understand you setbacks laws? Do you have any wetland area? Is contractor insured? What about new facade?

Be very careful about what is really included in your quote, and who is doing it. Everything needs to be spelled out to the nails they will be using. Always need to budget extra 20% of an original quote for contingency and in case of problem that can arise after construction starts (something always happens to make it costlier than planned).

For two baths fixture amount is ridiculous. You can possibly get away with that in the mud room if only one sink or toilet is there. Rarely you recoup your full construction costs when you sell, so consider a house with these things already in place especially if your home location is not very sought after.

Good luck.
I agree. On my last bathroom remodel, the shower was $1500 altogether, vanity/sink was $800, faucet was $100, toilet was $200, medicine cabinet was $150, towel racks were $50, floor tile was $250. That's over $3k right there for just 1 bathroom and I didn't even include the 2 light fixtures or bathroom fan which adds another couple hundred.

Old 09-22-2015, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
I agree. On my last bathroom remodel, the shower was $1500 altogether, vanity/sink was $800, faucet was $100, toilet was $200, medicine cabinet was $150, towel racks were $50, floor tile was $250. That's over $3k right there for just 1 bathroom.
Since the 2500 is clearly stated as an additional for fixtures we're not too panicky about it as it will really depend on what we choose. As you described from your own selection, we can go high or low with this depending on our choice. We're ready to keep that flexible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts