Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 02:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,503 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I recently accepted a job offer in Hudson, and I'm trying to find a nice place to live in the surrounding area.

I'm 22, so I'd like the place to have decent nightlife. I grew up in a college town of ~40,000 (a lot of house parties and 1 street for bars) so it doesn't need to be too wild but I'd still like to have fun during my free time on the weekends.

Commuting isn't really a huge issue and I have a budget of $1000 including utilities per month.

I've looked at Worcester which is relatively cheap but I've also heard not very nice things about it regarding the state of the city and safety. I've also looked at Framingham which is pushing my budget to its limits but then there really isn't much to do from what I've read.

Is there any place that's ~40 minute commute that better fulfills my criteria or am I just going to have to settle for less?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2015, 02:53 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,988,534 times
You're going to have to settle. Is someone in Hudson hiring? There was a nearly identical thread within the last couple of months. tl;dr: Worcester is probably your best bet to have any kind of nightlife. Otherwise you'd have to live within Rt. 128, which is probably not in your budget. Other alternative is to live as close to work as possible and drive into Boston or Worcester on weekends, but that could be a lot of driving.

Old 09-21-2015, 04:45 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Worcester is totally fine.

Old 09-21-2015, 05:31 PM

419 posts, read 1,237,800 times
Traveling to Hudson from Worcester in the winter can stink. You have somewhat of a snow belt with the Worcester Hills and 290 in my opinion isn't the greatest commute. It is doable, but at times it isn't too great. Hudson has no nightlife at all, Marlborough's nightlife is bad too, but not as bad as Hudson's. I really don't think Worcester's nightlife is worth much either. As far as basing your choice on where to live with nightlife being your top priority, I think you are working/moving entirely to the wrong area. I suggested this in another thread, but some people objected to my choice, but I would aim more toward Allston/Brighton and put up with the distance. The reverse commute isn't all that bad and you would be close enough to Boston to go there and Brighton/Allston is better designed for what you are hoping for.

Old 09-21-2015, 05:32 PM

466 posts, read 643,446 times
Are you looking for a roommates situation? If so, I would try Waltham. You'll be commuting against traffic, and Waltham has lots of college students, post college students, decent nightlife, and is a reasonable distance to Boston/Cambridge.

Old 09-21-2015, 05:56 PM

974 posts, read 1,896,941 times
With the smaller budget, OP is better off cultivating Central Mass friends and activities until his budget can handle Boston prices.

Worcester (including Shrewsbury) to Hudson on 290 is a direct commute. House - highway - work and reverse. Simple.

Framingham to Hudson is all back roads and Rt 9 -- no benefit to the OP.

Waltham to Hudson on 20 -- longer commute. Worcester has more students than Waltham.
It looks close on a map; I don't see any benefit to a longer backroads commute.

Old 09-21-2015, 09:10 PM

652 posts, read 749,346 times
I'd give Worcester a fair shake. It's becoming a pretty interesting place for drinking and dining (craft beer scene is growing as well as tons of fun lower end places), rents are very affordable and you can take the train to Boston. Ultimately you will need to give it the smell test to see if it suits you or not.

Old 09-22-2015, 06:27 AM

466 posts, read 643,446 times
OP has said he doesn't mind commuting and his budget is plenty for Waltham with roommates. I wouldn't rule it out.

Old 09-22-2015, 06:40 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,805,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
You're going to have to settle. Is someone in Hudson hiring? There was a nearly identical thread within the last couple of months. tl;dr: Worcester is probably your best bet to have any kind of nightlife. Otherwise you'd have to live within Rt. 128, which is probably not in your budget. Other alternative is to live as close to work as possible and drive into Boston or Worcester on weekends, but that could be a lot of driving.
Good read for the OP:
//www.city-data.com/forum/massa...son-where.html

Old 09-22-2015, 02:30 PM

419 posts, read 1,237,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninotchka P View Post
OP has said he doesn't mind commuting and his budget is plenty for Waltham with roommates. I wouldn't rule it out.
The commute for Hudson/Waltham is horrible. You either go 117 which stinks or rt 20 which is awful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts