Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 06:01 PM

822 posts, read 858,045 times

Advertisements

Do you think MA holds up to the reputation of being a rude/unfriendly place? If so, what do you do to change that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 08:17 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
no

Old 09-22-2015, 08:20 PM

974 posts, read 1,899,079 times
People from Mass would not need to be rude and unfriendly if out of staters (like those from the Ocean State) would simply stay out of the left-hand passing lane and refrained from driving 20 mph BELOW the speed limit.

I would prohibit all out of state drivers from operating vehicles in the Bay State for two decades.

This would make me very, very friendly.

Old 09-22-2015, 08:40 PM

596 posts, read 982,855 times
If people were required to wear a name tag and/or a button with a smiley face on their shirt when they went outside, then it would be a friendly place.

Old 09-22-2015, 09:06 PM

23,565 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowbe202 View Post
People from Mass would not need to be rude and unfriendly if out of staters (like those from the Ocean State) would simply stay out of the left-hand passing lane and refrained from driving 20 mph BELOW the speed limit.

I would prohibit all out of state drivers from operating vehicles in the Bay State for two decades.

This would make me very, very friendly.

What??? MA drivers are the absolute worst in that regard, after RI and CT. Maybe FL too.

Old 09-22-2015, 09:31 PM

974 posts, read 1,899,079 times
My point exactly... They are really out of state people driving Mass registered cars.

OP is from RI according to other posts...thought I'd rib them for being the cause of Mass misery they're commenting about.

Old 09-23-2015, 01:52 AM

837 posts, read 1,225,755 times
We New Englanders, as a general rule, are quite reserved unless we've known you for many years. We don't butt into your business unless you invite us to, and even then we'll demur if we don't know you very well. We're not chatterboxes. A lot of people take this as "unfriendliness" when in actuality it's a by-product of our cultural roots.

Old 09-23-2015, 04:48 AM

822 posts, read 858,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowbe202 View Post
My point exactly... They are really out of state people driving Mass registered cars.

OP is from RI according to other posts...thought I'd rib them for being the cause of Mass misery they're commenting about.
yes, I am from RI ... but I work in Ma ... and I have to agree with you ... RI drivers suck (not me of course, lol)... especially when it comes to merging, and they never let anyone in the lane they're in. I never said I agree with the unfriendly rep of MA, I personally love it and think its one of the best states to live in .... was just wondering what you residents think. It seems like most people on CD are always saying how rude and unfriendly it is.

Old 09-23-2015, 04:55 AM

816 posts, read 994,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvpsharky View Post
Do you think MA holds up to the reputation of being a rude/unfriendly place? If so, what do you do to change that?
Born and raised here in the greater Boston area, and I think so. Most people around here are introverts, and only stick with their own. And it's not just the blue-collar "townie" types either.

As far as not being chatterboxes, you must've never been in line at a Dunkin Donuts on a Saturday morning... "Hey Jimmy!! How aaaaah yaaa? Hows ya mothah! Haven't seen ya guys in forevaaah!! blah blah blah blah..."

Last edited by vtecluder617; 09-23-2015 at 05:31 AM..

Old 09-23-2015, 05:23 AM

513 posts, read 647,010 times
I occasionally work in NH and run into a store to buy things on the way home. I was once in a Walmart and a woman pulled in front of me with her stroller. She was fine, but went out of her way to apologize. In Mass, I would have gotten no acknowledgement or a rude look, because why should I dare to be in her way
During the same shopping trip another woman randomly said hi. Having lived in MA and spending the bulk of my time in MA (except for more touristy parts of NH and ME), I have to admit I felt like I was in the twilight zone. But as a generally nice and social person, I have to say I liked it!

I think you will find all kinds here- rude, nice sociable. In general, we are reserved, so there are few spontaneous conversations while in the company of strangers.

"As far as not being chatterboxes, you've must never been in line at a Dunkin Donuts on a Saturday morning... 'Hey Jimmy!! How aaaaah yaaa? Hows ya mothah! Haven't seen ya guys in forevaaah!! blah blah blah blah...'"

We call those people townies!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts