Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pick a town for us...
Hopkinton 6 33.33%
Southborough 4 22.22%
Other 2 11.11%
Heck no..stay in Boston 6 33.33%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 10:43 AM

22 posts, read 22,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
My sense is this is a tradeoff between family connection and support and economic needs. It's a tough one because relocating for the convenience of jobs leaves the OP much more isolated from family but staying in the family 'nest' makes the work trips untenable.
Thanks for the thoughtful commentary! You are right!
We are off to check some open houses in Hopkinton this afternoon.
Still working on the Pros/Cons list........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2015, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I voted to leave the city. Boston is great when young and child-free but as you get older, the suburbs may be more appealing for some to raise a family.

I've been in Boston all my life and couldn't wait to get out.
What do you miss most from the city? And what do you see as a huge difference or something that was unexpectedly pleasant from living in the suburbs?

Old 10-03-2015, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
Huh? Hopkinton has twice the land area that Southborough does, with fewer major routes running through town. I get annoyed every time I have to drive through Hopkinton to drop off my kids at camp because it takes forever to get from one side of town to the other. Southborough has a Pike exit and a train station, so it feels more connected to the Boston area. Hopkinton is only convenient to 495, so if feels disconnected from everything. I think both are way out of the OP's price range anyways.
Gee, what a way to deflate my dreams !
Yes we did notice that about the roads in Hopkinton. That will definitely be an adjustment.
There are a few new homes we checked out in Legacy Farms but we didn't like that it was next to the huge apartment complex. The lower end was ~$420k, which is doable.

But, I think I prefer Hopkinton more than Southborough purely from a commuting standpoint if I decide to work in Marlborough.

Decisions, decisions........

Thanks everyone for your input! It is very helpful and I really enjoy and appreciate your perspectives!

Old 10-04-2015, 09:38 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,584,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
I voted for Hopkinton. Southborough is very spread out. I think this would be a bigger adjustment than Hopkinton, coming from the city. Hopkinton has the pretty State Forest and town center. Also if I were you I would consider splitting the distance between family and jobs and also look in Holliston, Walpole, Dedham, Natick.
Quote:
Huh? Hopkinton has twice the land area that Southborough does, with fewer major routes running through town. I get annoyed every time I have to drive through Hopkinton to drop off my kids at camp because it takes forever to get from one side of town to the other. Southborough has a Pike exit and a train station, so it feels more connected to the Boston area. Hopkinton is only convenient to 495, so if feels disconnected from everything. I think both are way out of the OP's price range anyways.

I state this due to Hopkinton's geography with its more cohesive feel. Hopkinton has a more developed town center than Southborough. Southborough's is one pizza parlour. Southborough is also split North South by route 9 and the Mass Pike. South of route 9 Southborough's business district contains a few small strip shopping areas. Southborough also has more new developments in isolated cul-de-sacs. Most parts of Hopkinton are a short drive to Southborough's train stop or the Ashland commuter rail stop with its large lot. I fail to see any advantage to living in Southborough over Hopkinton.

Old 10-04-2015, 05:43 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,751,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linky2013 View Post
Gee, what a way to deflate my dreams !
Yes we did notice that about the roads in Hopkinton. That will definitely be an adjustment.
There are a few new homes we checked out in Legacy Farms but we didn't like that it was next to the huge apartment complex. The lower end was ~$420k, which is doable.

But, I think I prefer Hopkinton more than Southborough purely from a commuting standpoint if I decide to work in Marlborough.
Sorry didn't mean to deflate your dreams LOL. I usually think of 3-4 bedroom single family home when families come asking for suggestions within a certain budget. You might find a smaller 3 bedroom home in need of some TLC in that price range, but keep in mind both towns are upper middle class suburbs which in the Boston area means the entry point for a decent house is $600k. I'm surprised Legacy Farms has homes in the $420k range, especially new construction. Even newer 2 bedroom condos in Ashland go for close to $400k. Are you looking at 2 bedroom condos or 55+ units? You can definitely find 2 bedroom homes in your price range in any town in that area if you don't mind dense housing. I don't really like that development though because it doesn't feel like you're in Hopkinton at all until you leave the complex. Also, many large scale developments in upper middle class towns like Hopkinton can only be built via 40B and/or using age-restrictions. You need to know the development that you're buying into.

Curious why you prefer Hopkinton over Southborough to commute to Marlborough? You need to drive through Southborough to get to Marlborough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
I state this due to Hopkinton's geography with its more cohesive feel. Hopkinton has a more developed town center than Southborough. Southborough's is one pizza parlour. Southborough is also split North South by route 9 and the Mass Pike. South of route 9 Southborough's business district contains a few small strip shopping areas. Southborough also has more new developments in isolated cul-de-sacs. Most parts of Hopkinton are a short drive to Southborough's train stop or the Ashland commuter rail stop with its large lot. I fail to see any advantage to living in Southborough over Hopkinton.
Hopkinton is definitely more beautiful as a classic New England town like you said, with its historic town center and abundance of open spaces. Although its town center is bigger than Southborough's, neither really has anything that's useful enough to write about. You'll still be driving to Framingham or Westborough to do your shopping regardless of which town you pick. I don't think either one even has a supermarket.

EDIT: I just found out Hopkinton has a Price Chopper on the Upton border, but it's outside of I-495 so it doesn't really count. =p

You stated all the reasons why I decided against Southborough when I was house hunting. With the exception of a couple neighborhoods with smaller/older homes, the whole town was made up of disconnected cul-de-sacs many of which back into Rt-9, the Mass Pike or the commuter rail tracks. It was challenging finding a house that was at least 1/4 mile away from these 3 noisy throughfares.

Old 10-05-2015, 08:36 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,584,490 times
Quote:
Hopkinton is definitely more beautiful as a classic New England town like you said, with its historic town center and abundance of open spaces. Although its town center is bigger than Southborough's, neither really has anything that's useful enough to write about. You'll still be driving to Framingham or Westborough to do your shopping regardless of which town you pick. I don't think either one even has a supermarket.
Hopkinton's town center has a library, some coffee shops and places to eat, banks and a common space for community activities, more people walking around the town center than Southborough due to having more homes within walking distance of the town center. Southborough's looks pretty empty all the time other than a St. Mark's student here and there. Milford next to Hopkinton has every big box store and grocery store anyone would need.

Old 10-07-2015, 12:41 PM

8 posts, read 20,114 times
how about Ashland?

Old 10-14-2015, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgroysman View Post
how about Ashland?
My mind's set on Hopkinton. I guess it's just a waiting game now. Not much around my price range so I will probably have to up my budget to at least $450+.

I was looking at Westborough next and now Upton? But I really want to stay within 30-40 mins from Boston, not too far west.

Old 10-15-2015, 05:53 PM

48 posts, read 69,072 times
Have you looked at Holliston? It's not directly on 495 but it's 15 minutes or less to it, especially if you're on the Milford end of town. When we were looking at houses, we were between Hopkinton and Holliston and ended up here in Holliston, mainly because it's where a house in our budget came up first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts