Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2015, 05:36 PM

2 posts, read 5,926 times

Advertisements

Hi folks-- I recently came to Massachusetts for work (I came from the Midwest, so New England is completely new...plus I know exactly zero people). I'm working in North Adams and living in Bennington, VT. Not a bad commute and Bennington is cute, but... The deal is that I'm very used to living in big cities. It's been (still is) a big adjustment for me here in Western Mass/Southern Vermont. But I'm really trying to give it a chance and not just freak out-- it's gorgeous here and so far the people I've met have been very nice.

That being said, I'm exploring the area and my options for where I would like to live when I move in a year or so. I really enjoy Northhampton, but I haven't done the drive in winter and I'm assuming it'll be nuts, right? How about Pittsfield as far as winter driving? I know there's Williamstown, which is cute and has the great college, but what I could find was pretty pricey. Seems to have a great cultural scene but again, it's a little small for my taste.

What appeals to me about Northampton is the city itself, but it also seems like a more active city for people in their 20s/30s. Maybe that's because of the colleges. I could be wrong. Basically, I'm just worried about dating/finding a social life here as I am, as I said, not used to living in an area made up of small towns, and I'm completely starting over.

Any advice? It's only been a little bit since I've moved so maybe all this worry is for naught, but never hurts to ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2015, 05:53 PM

536 posts, read 838,850 times
Hi, Ala, I attended Bennington College back in the Pliocene era and have very fond memories of the towns of North Bennington and Bennington. I used to drive to Northampton from there quite often, and unless new roads have changed things, it was a tedious drive for the distance on a regular day--2 1/2-3 hours and not with snow involved.

At the time, Northampton was by far the most amenities-intensive place around, especially for bookstores and such.

Distance from North Adams to Northampton I don't know first-hand, but it's about 30 minutes from Bennington (as you must know, doing the commute regularly yourself). I think this is a very pretty part of the world, but dark and gloomy in winter. I taught in Williamstown for a while and enjoyed the college culture but not the town.

Northampton is your place, perhaps, but the driving from North Adams would be very tiring on a daily basis. I should add that I like Northampton so much I have looked at the town myself as far as retiring there in a few years, but I think it is too pricey for me as well as too far away from loved ones in Eastern Mass and along the New England coastline. If you don't mind driving a lot, and maybe paying a real estate premium, Northampton might be for you. It would be very hard in winter, though. It snows in North Adams when it isn't snowing anywhere else in the universe.

Last edited by ladyalicemore; 10-11-2015 at 06:33 PM..

Old 10-11-2015, 08:41 PM

13,323 posts, read 26,790,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alautumn View Post
I really enjoy Northhampton, but I haven't done the drive in winter and I'm assuming it'll be nuts, right? How about Pittsfield as far as winter driving? I know there's Williamstown, which is cute and has the great college, but what I could find was pretty pricey. Seems to have a great cultural scene but again, it's a little small for my taste.
I agree the drive to/from Northampton is too far on a daily basis. I enjoy Pittsfield, and encourage you to look seriously at some of the renovated downtown buildings. (There are also some gritty and dumpy parts of Pittsfield, but you can avoid them.) Perhaps also look at Dalton and North Adams for renovated buildings.

Old 10-11-2015, 08:47 PM

1,127 posts, read 1,246,200 times
I live in Northampton and have to go to the Berkshires (mostly Pittsfield) about once a week for work. It takes about an hour. North Adams adds on about another half-hour. 5 to 10 times every winter snow would make it scary. It is not a reasonable commute. I think your options are to learn to love theh small-town nature of the Berkshires or to change jobs, and come to Northampton!

Old 10-11-2015, 08:58 PM

1,683 posts, read 2,880,216 times
Greenfield might work. It's about an hour to north Adams.

Old 10-12-2015, 06:51 AM

2 posts, read 5,926 times
Thanks for the information! The commute responses are pretty much what I thought (unfortunately). I'm trying to love it...it just takes time to adjust and I have to remember that!

Do you have any advice on the best commutable towns in the Berkshires for a single person in their late 20s? I'm guessing Pittsfield is my best bet. Or maybe Greenfield?

Old 10-12-2015, 07:31 AM

2,811 posts, read 2,153,626 times
Greenfield to North Adams is 40 miles through the mountains - not a daily commute I would want, especially in the winter, and no public transit that I know of connecting the two. Pittsfield is closer, much more manageable terrain, and you have the option of BRTA buses for commuting. Can't comment on the social scene of either, but Northampton is only about an hour's drive from Pittsfield.

Old 10-12-2015, 09:12 AM

47 posts, read 60,850 times
Life for a single 20 something in a small town can be rough. We too live in Bennington, and my wife works down in Adams. it's a great area if you have a decent job.

The trick to making it work in a small town is finding likeminded people and getting involved around town. It takes a lot of work, and you need to make a serious effort to meet people and find your niche - no one will come to you; you gotta find em! Bennington has a good arts scene if thats your thing (Vermont Arts Exchange, stuff at the colleges). We've met a lot of good folks through the Bennington young professionals group and through sports groups. I think the Bennington, Williamstown, North Adams area has more going on than Pittsfield. Pittsfield does seem to be on the upswing, but still has a ways to go in making their downtown attractive to young folk.

Though Northampton is pretty awesome, that commute will burn you out.

Old 10-12-2015, 10:42 AM

24,509 posts, read 17,979,930 times
Within 30 minutes of North Adams, I think Bennington is going to be your best bet for finding a town with a bit of a pulse.

Pay attention to costs. Driving 30 minutes to work every day ends up being a lot of money over a year. Car ownership costs are different between the two states. Depending on how much you earn, you could bump into the higher Vermont state income tax brackets. The Vermont Act 68 state school tax tends to make rents fairly high. Your landlord is paying the state commercial property tax rate on their rental property.

A Northampton to North Adams daily commute would suck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts