Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 08:38 PM

1,395 posts, read 5,084,365 times

Advertisements

My office was open on Columbus Day, but several of the higher ups took the day off. We had a skeleton crew! My office manager asked me, "so are you working Monday?" lol I was like wellllllllllllllll..... uhm, maybe or a couple of hours. Hey he asked. I didn't realize I had a choice till then. I worked 7am-9am. haha. Easy traffic. Got what I needed to do done and spent the rest of the day with the family. I am not sure why we were even open. Banks were closed. Registry of Deeds was closed. (real estate law firm).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2016, 07:47 AM

44 posts, read 53,585 times
Resurrecting this thread. Drove into work and saw the traffic flying at the Rtes. 95/128/3 interchange in Burlington - despite getting a significant amount of snowfall overnight. I know the children have a day off from school, but did every employer except mine inside I-495 give their employees a paid holiday for Martin Luther King Jr. day? Seems kinda odd, given that (in my opinion), today should be a day of service and commemorating Dr. King, not "a day off from work". I'm not saying I wanted a day off (many employees at my job, including myself, took significant time off around Christmas and New Year's Day), but if others are getting a 3-day weekend and it's "business as usual" for me, well, it isn't exactly good for your self-esteem.

Old 01-18-2016, 09:11 AM

1,708 posts, read 2,910,969 times
I would say a lot of traffic on the roads is the union construction workers, especially early plus most if not all universities have it off. Good chunk of people right there.

When I worked in the private sector I was not off in one company until
Memorial Day. The other until patriots

Old 01-18-2016, 10:52 AM

8,543 posts, read 14,020,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdex86 View Post
Resurrecting this thread. Drove into work and saw the traffic flying at the Rtes. 95/128/3 interchange in Burlington - despite getting a significant amount of snowfall overnight. I know the children have a day off from school, but did every employer except mine inside I-495 give their employees a paid holiday for Martin Luther King Jr. day? Seems kinda odd, given that (in my opinion), today should be a day of service and commemorating Dr. King, not "a day off from work". I'm not saying I wanted a day off (many employees at my job, including myself, took significant time off around Christmas and New Year's Day), but if others are getting a 3-day weekend and it's "business as usual" for me, well, it isn't exactly good for your self-esteem.
If you think working on MLK day is bad then count your lucky stars that you're not a real estate agent! I work 7 days a week. So, I'm often busiest Sat/Sun when all my friends are out having fun and I do often work on holidays as well. Every client who is moving from out of town seems to think it's a good idea to come for a house hunt on a long weekend. Meanwhile, people are often having parties/get togethers those days and don't allow showings.

Old 01-18-2016, 01:05 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,810,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
If you think working on MLK day is bad then count your lucky stars that you're not a real estate agent! I work 7 days a week. So, I'm often busiest Sat/Sun when all my friends are out having fun and I do often work on holidays as well. Every client who is moving from out of town seems to think it's a good idea to come for a house hunt on a long weekend. Meanwhile, people are often having parties/get togethers those days and don't allow showings.
You work 7 days a week, but that's your choice. I think it's a trade-off. To be a successful agent you need to work more than 40 hours per week, but your hours are also much more flexible than a typical 9-5 office worker. You might need to work Saturday and Sunday from 9-3, but you can take off a couple weekdays if you wanted to. Not saying one is better than the other, but the grass is always greener on the other side.

Old 01-18-2016, 06:46 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,696,023 times
The Expressway had plenty traffic going towards the split at 4 pm. Took me an hour to get home from Logan when I thought it would take me 40 minutes. Oh well.

Old 01-18-2016, 07:13 PM

8,543 posts, read 14,020,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
You work 7 days a week, but that's your choice. I think it's a trade-off. To be a successful agent you need to work more than 40 hours per week, but your hours are also much more flexible than a typical 9-5 office worker. You might need to work Saturday and Sunday from 9-3, but you can take off a couple weekdays if you wanted to. Not saying one is better than the other, but the grass is always greener on the other side.
The job is a good fit for me, but still it's not always so great when friends are out having fun and you're working which is pretty much what this thread is about. For example, I was invited to the Pats game this weekend at the last minute but I had to turn that down because I had committed my day to a client. My schedule is often the reverse of other people in my social circle and that can make socializing tricky. Sure, I can take time off during the week often and it's great if for instance I need to go shopping because the stores are empty. However, it's not a lot of fun when your friends are at work those days.

Old 01-19-2016, 07:23 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,493,343 times
I took the day off on MLK day. Girlfriend is a teacher so I took the day to spend some time with her. We spent the day at Home Depot, Ikea and Bed, Bath and Beyond. I should have went to work...spend less money that way.

Old 01-19-2016, 07:25 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,493,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
The job is a good fit for me, but still it's not always so great when friends are out having fun and you're working which is pretty much what this thread is about. For example, I was invited to the Pats game this weekend at the last minute but I had to turn that down because I had committed my day to a client. My schedule is often the reverse of other people in my social circle and that can make socializing tricky. Sure, I can take time off during the week often and it's great if for instance I need to go shopping because the stores are empty. However, it's not a lot of fun when your friends are at work those days.

After getting a glimpse of what my realtor did and how he had to scramble around and was always busy on the weekends....I feel for you guys.

Old 01-19-2016, 07:39 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,810,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
After getting a glimpse of what my realtor did and how he had to scramble around and was always busy on the weekends....I feel for you guys.
Agreed. Realtors have work when their clients are available, e.g. weeknights and weekends. I wouldn't want those hours. Mike needs to make more friends who are also realtors so they can catch weekday matinees together
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts