Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 07:37 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,804,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2ak View Post
Thanks for all the info!
Okay this little bit of info I came across today - what the heck is this superfund in Concord? Radioactive/EPA nightmare?
Is this something to be truly overly concerned with?
It's an active superfund site with high levels of TCE which is known to cause kidney cancer. The VOCs are in the ground water and TCE has contaminated water wells in both Sudbury and Concord. I don't know what Concord does to treat their wells, but I know that Sudbury Water District treats/cleans the contaminated well so that TCE levels are down to an acceptable level for drinking. I'd be very surprised if Concord didn't do the same thing. BTW, the affected well is the one that feeds into my water line (along with the rest of North Sudbury) so I already did my research on this. If you google cancer maps you'll see the cancer incidence rate in this area is no higher than any other town. I wouldn't worry about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2015, 08:08 PM

9,873 posts, read 7,195,178 times
Concord has 6 groundwater wells and a surface water water supply. They also treat the water to meet EPA standards.

Old 10-30-2015, 09:29 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,451,694 times
The superfund site is at the southwest corner of town near Concord Mews, where the town meets Acton, Maynard, and Sudbury. This "Powder Mill" area has a long history of munitions manufacture stretching back to the colonial days. The contamination is thought to result from depleted uranium bullets manufactured for our last couple wars and the unscrupulous arms manufacturer that last owned the site - privatized profits, socialized cleanups. Any contamination that somehow missed clean up using federal bucks would naturally head downhill a short distance to the Assabet River. I wouldn't drink this river water or any well connected to it (you will notice that Concord has followed this very strategy). The closest Concord well (Second Division) is half a mile away on the other side of Thoreau Hills. Contamination of the water supply is doubtful unless the laws of physics are broken. Water quality is constantly monitored and published annually for all to see at any rate. You can get more info at Concord, MA - Water Supply. FWIW, Concord water is by far the best municipal water I've tasted in the region and in my travels throughout the US. There's some terrible tasting water out there that must be treated up the wazoo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts