Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 02:33 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,322,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I meant that it might have been sour grapes from the initial person who wrote that good school systems in premium towns were worthless because most of the students didn't get into the Ivys.
Well I'd say that's a valid point and doesn't mean someone has sour grapes. I dont know if i'd go as far as to say 'worthless' but something to consider if this is true.

I looked up where Weston's graduating class in 2014 went and no one went to Harvard, but there was a Princeton and a Dartmouth. Again, people need to realize they are competing with people from all over the world to get into these schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2015, 04:21 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,239,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
Well I'd say that's a valid point and doesn't mean someone has sour grapes. I dont know if i'd go as far as to say 'worthless' but something to consider if this is true.

I looked up where Weston's graduating class in 2014 went and no one went to Harvard, but there was a Princeton and a Dartmouth. Again, people need to realize they are competing with people from all over the world to get into these schools.

Same as local home buyers need to understand that in desirable towns they will compete with people from all over the world. Maybe RE in some areas of MA has gone "ivy league" too?

It should be noted that many excellent school districts have tons of childless residents too. It is overall quality of living and location, not just schools. It is naive to make everything about schools and college.

Here in MA we have no county government, every is town runs its own budget and decides about quality of life and schools for its residents, so people are rightly concerned with town's prevalent mindset, and neighbors they are sharing their town with, when buying a home.

Old 11-02-2015, 04:29 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,322,067 times
I think a lot more people in the world want to get into Harvard or MIT than they want to get into the state of MA just to live here.

Old 11-02-2015, 04:51 PM

536 posts, read 844,828 times
I went to high school in the later 1960s at Cardinal Spellman High School, where I wasn't super-happy but got a good education. That's a school in Brockton.

What my class discovered is that there were quotas excluding local Catholic school students. Harvard wants diversity, not kids from MA, esp. not working class kids from dying factory towns. One of my class went to Harvard and did very well there. At the time that was the Catholic quota at Harvard for local schools. Harvard then and now (my niece graduated from there recently) wants a global student body. They want diversity. They aren't going to fill up their classrooms with kids from Wellesley. Anywhere in Mass is a handicap still. My niece grew up in rural Maine.

In the later 1970s, when I was a grad student at Columbia and on the Admissions Committee as a student member, it turns out they were courting the NYC area parochial high schools, especially for high achieving minority students. The parochial students were doing extremely well at that time in their very demanding core undergraduate program. Things change all the time, so I am just reporting from my personal time machine.

Affluent towns near Boston have great schools, but their top students might have a much better shot at Stanford or U of Chicago or some other elite school out west or in the midwest. Universities want the diversity figures.

I teach at a diverse university in South Florida that I love a lot, but we don't have to pull people from all over. My community is diverse in and of itself and no recruitment is needed. Diversity is worth seeking, as it is the foundation of a good conversation in a classroom. I taught for a short while at a top rated undergraduate college, where I was treated very well--but the classroom had 60% alumni kids and was as predictable and dull as ditch-water.

Last edited by ladyalicemore; 11-02-2015 at 05:01 PM..

Old 11-02-2015, 04:57 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,239,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
I think a lot more people in the world want to get into Harvard or MIT than they want to get into the state of MA just to live here.
As a parent, I would like my kids to be successful individuals, but also well rounded, with sound morals, good values, sense of community, and good health.

Right now, we provide them with environment where they are loved, educated, and supported in their interests and talents. Rest is up to them. We will not live their life for them.

You really can not fake your way into Harvard or MIT. Or you are good enough, wealthy enough, or you are destined for other places (and they might be much better fit over the long haul).

Parents who move somewhere so their kid will "have" a chance at Harvard or MIT need their heads examined.

Old 11-03-2015, 12:18 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,332,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
I grew up in Somerville. My parents worked their butts off to get out of there in the early 80's. Now people are working their butts off to get into the city. Who wunda thunk??
Yep, it's getting crazy. A house in Somerville now costs more per square foot than any other suburb except Cambridge and Brookline. School enrollment increases over the last 4 years are higher than all but 13 districts in the state. One Somerville elementary school got the highest 3rd grade MCAS scores in the state for 2015. Medford is definitely receiving overflow from Somerville, like Somerville used to from Cambridge. But it's not always about the prestige of an address - it's what the city offers. There is just alot more to do in Somerville than Medford.

http://www.boston.com/real-estate/ne....xgeDSdLn.dpbs

Old 11-03-2015, 12:51 PM

15,795 posts, read 20,493,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
I grew up in Somerville. My parents worked their butts off to get out of there in the early 80's. Now people are working their butts off to get into the city. Who wunda thunk??

I grew up in Somerville as well before moving out around age 10. All I head was "Slummerville" there. My grandmother owns a triple decker there and it's crazy to see the changes through the 80's 90's and 2000's. Went from break-ins and car thefts, to new sidewalks, streets, and millenials paying nearly $3K for an apartment there.

Old 11-03-2015, 01:51 PM

9,877 posts, read 7,207,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semiurbanite View Post
Yep, it's getting crazy. A house in Somerville now costs more per square foot than any other suburb except Cambridge and Brookline. School enrollment increases over the last 4 years are higher than all but 13 districts in the state. One Somerville elementary school got the highest 3rd grade MCAS scores in the state for 2015. Medford is definitely receiving overflow from Somerville, like Somerville used to from Cambridge. But it's not always about the prestige of an address - it's what the city offers. There is just alot more to do in Somerville than Medford.

Yikes...the latest home and condo prices in Somerville - Real estate news - Boston.com
But as the overflow increases, then the business opportunities begin to pop up. Davis Sq. didn't happen before the population demanded it. The same thing will happen in Medford. The new people moving there because they can't afford Somerville will drive new businesses to open up.

A similar thing will happen here in Burlington soon. People priced out of Lexington are buying here and you see the opportunities with that. New homes are starting at about $850K and many cresting $1 million and people buying here will start demanding more from the local businesses, schools, et al. It may take 10-15 years but it will happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts