Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2015, 11:29 AM

49 posts, read 97,938 times

Advertisements

Hello - my research continues.

I would like to know if anyone has any input or experience with the private school (K-8), Nashoba Brooks?
I am aware it is all girls from 5-8. Any input?

How about the Thoreau Club - this facility looks to have a lot of terrific family amenities?

As always, I greatly appreciate all input. OOPS I meant to add both of these places are in Concord, MA.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2015, 11:44 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,637,296 times
Not a member of Thoreau, but have heard good things from people who are. If you are into yoga, there is a really fun Yoga/Movement studio in West Concord, Yoga and Nia for Life, you should check out. If you aren't familiar with Nia, it is similar to Zumba, but incorporates many more kinds of creative dance into exercise.

Old 11-02-2015, 12:45 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,804,851 times
The Thoreau Club has more of a country club atmosphere than a gym atmosphere, but it's great for families. It's one of the few places in Metrowest that offers an outdoor swim membership. People also rave about their summer tennis camp. I heard it's extremely pricey though - even an individual membership will run you hundreds per month so I don't even want to think how much they charge for a family.

Old 11-02-2015, 12:45 PM

154 posts, read 256,859 times
I've belonged to Thoreau for the last eight years. It's a nice gym- indoor pool in the winter, two outdoor pools in the summer, fitness classes, and tennis. They don't provide towels, and while they have a pretty good selection of classes, it would be nice if they mixed the schedule up a bit more and introduced new classes more often. The people I've known who've sent kids to Nashoba Brooks have been happy with it.

Old 11-02-2015, 12:48 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,804,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadstrailstris View Post
I've belonged to Thoreau for the last eight years. It's a nice gym- indoor pool in the winter, two outdoor pools in the summer, fitness classes, and tennis. They don't provide towels, and while they have a pretty good selection of classes, it would be nice if they mixed the schedule up a bit more and introduced new classes more often. The people I've known who've sent kids to Nashoba Brooks have been happy with it.
If you don't mind me asking, how much is the going membership rate these days? I know it used to be a couple hundred per month, but all the gyms in the area are going up in price these days. I suppose if you've been a member for 8 years you might have a cheaper grandfathered rate though.

Old 11-02-2015, 12:55 PM

161 posts, read 230,813 times
Our kids to go to camp at Thoreau, and they love it. We have gone to the pools as guests. Membership seemed pricey for what we would get out of it, but it is a nice place. My only complaint would be that the pool gets super crowded on weekends.

Old 11-02-2015, 01:01 PM

154 posts, read 256,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
If you don't mind me asking, how much is the going membership rate these days? I know it used to be a couple hundred per month, but all the gyms in the area are going up in price these days. I suppose if you've been a member for 8 years you might have a cheaper grandfathered rate though.
I have an individual membership that we pay once a year- it's 2K for swim and fitness, doesn't include tennis. Kidsplace is an additional cost for childcare. When I used it regularly we paid $159/month for unlimited use for two kids. Now I only use Kidsplace occasionally and I think it's $8/hour. They have several types of memberships at various price points. My husband isn't a gym guy, and we have an in ground pool that we use all summer, so we don't do the family membership.

Old 11-03-2015, 02:02 PM

8,547 posts, read 14,010,364 times
I'm not a member but a couple of times when showing houses up in that area my clients have asked me to arrange tours of the club for them. Because we're out together already, I've gone on the club tour a couple of times rather than sit in the car by myself.

It looks like a great place. Definitely things for both adults and kids especially during the summer when the outdoor area is available. If I lived closer, I could see myself having a membership.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts