Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2015, 01:16 PM

7 posts, read 7,713 times

Advertisements

Hi guys, I'm originally from Scituate, moved when I was 15 now I live in San Diego with my fiancé. I'm taking him to meet my family for their Christmas party Dec. 12th and I want to spend our 1st day showing him what Boston looks like. We don't need to see anything in particular, I just want to show off some nice parts of Boston and some cool places before we take the T to South Shore. But I don't know where to go I don't want to do too much walking because it will be so cold outside. (We're used to San Diego weather) Should we consider taking a Duck Tour if they do it in Dec.? We would need to store our luggage too. Where should we explore? I don't know where to go.. Thanks guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2015, 02:11 PM

8,547 posts, read 14,010,364 times
People seem to really like the Duck Boat tours. I'm not sure if they operate during the winter though. I checked their website and it didn't seem like you could buy tickets in December. Take a look and maybe call them to find out:

http://www.bostonducktours.com/

You could also try a trolley tour:

Boston Tours | Boston Trolley | Old Town Trolley Tours®

Again, contact them to see if they operate during the winter.

If not, then I would bundle up and take a walk around the city. Boston is a very walkable place and you could go to Quincy Market or maybe do some shopping/eating on Newbury Street. I'm not sure where you could store your suitcases. Have you considered shipping them instead of checking them? With the baggage fees airlines are charging these days, you might as well ship your bags for the same amount of money directly to your parents' house.

Old 11-04-2015, 02:24 PM

536 posts, read 844,360 times
Is "The Ice Bar" still there? Expensive drinks, but very cool.

The Boston Atheneum often has a great exhibit.

When I was there on biz with snobby colleagues who wouldn't do the Boston Tea Party experience or the Duck Tour, they loved the Museum of Fine Arts, and it is a beautiful venue with extra special art--but it's all a matter of what you both like. If you are only there for one day, you might want to stay in the airport hotel with the beautiful view of Boston's skyline. I think it is the Hyatt now--but it is near the water taxi and not so very close to the airport.

They have shuttle service to the T and airport (and I am not sure about winter, b/c I was there in Spring) a water taxi right outside the hotel that is more than the T but is a pretty special way of arriving at Faneuil (sp?) Hall. Near which the Ice Bar is, or was 2 years ago.

If Boston Commons is decorated for winter by then, that is really charming, and the Boston Public Gardens + the surrounding Back Bay neighborhoods are wonderful for a half-day, too.

ETA: "Frost Ice Loft" seems to be the name of the ice bar--in the upper storey of Fanueil Hall. There are reviews on Trip Advisor. It's great for photo ops. No danger you'll stay there spending money all night, as it's chilly. Everything is made of ice--seats, tables, etc.

Last edited by ladyalicemore; 11-04-2015 at 03:35 PM..

Old 11-04-2015, 07:49 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,637,296 times
Here are the options for short term storage of luggage at South Station or Rowes Wharf.
Boston Storage Lockers - Short Term Luggage Storage in Boston

For a sampling of Boston you could see some of these places.
Seaport District, Institute of Contemporary Art, if you like avant garde museums
Walk along Atlantic Avenue
Go to the Aquarium
Have a meal or dessert at the North End and walk along the waterfront there
Check out Faneuil Hall and the new Boston Public Market, a sort of all year farmers market
Walk to the State House and Beacon Hill
Back Bay, see Christmas trees at night decorated with lights at the Prudential Center, Copley Square and the Commons
In the Commons, Swan Boat and Frog Pond areas, the West and East sides of the common, there is evening ice skating
Come back through the Financial District, look at the holiday store window displays at Macy's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts