U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2015, 10:56 AM
V&L V&L started this thread

112 posts, read 114,130 times

Advertisements

Feel free to include as many choices as you like, and please bolster your opinion with some details/specifics! Thank you!

Carlisle
Concord
Lexington
Lincoln
Sudbury
Wayland
Weston
Newton
Needham
Wellesley
Sherborn
Dover
Westwood
Milton
Brookline
Cambridge
Belmont
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2015, 11:00 AM

38,727 posts, read 29,114,146 times
I wouldn't consider Cambridge or Brookline suburbs. On the fence about Milton, but I don't know it well.

The rest are suburbs.

Old 11-05-2015, 11:45 AM

11,730 posts, read 9,964,341 times
Definition of SUBURB

a : an outlying part of a city or town
b : a smaller community adjacent to or within commuting distance of a city
c : the residential area on the outskirts of a city or large town

By the above definition, if you commute to Boston then you live in a suburb of Boston thus all the towns listed could be called suburbs.

If one did not live in the area and they were asked where are you from, the typical reply would be Boston.

Old 11-05-2015, 11:47 AM

1,439 posts, read 2,311,363 times
Carlisle, IMO is the most unique town in MA, I doubt there is a place that close to any major city that feels so rural.

Old 11-05-2015, 12:03 PM

7,189 posts, read 10,978,981 times
What do you mean by autonomous?

Old 11-05-2015, 02:11 PM

649 posts, read 618,700 times
The concept of the typical suburb is meaningless in greater Boston, which was built out before the concept of the suburb existed. None of these places is so dependent upon Boston for an identity that it would disappear if Boston were to disappear. They all have their own "ness." I would say that the more rural ones (Carlisle, Dover, Sherborn, Lincoln) that lack a decent town center have the least cultural identity. I would say Needham, Belmont and Milton could be Boston's idea of a suburb. While Cambridge, Lexington, Newton, Concord, Wellesley are cities in their own right. The weird metrowest like Wayland, Weston, Sudbury are something that doesnt exist most places and I have a hard time describing them for people, subrural?

Old 11-05-2015, 02:54 PM

7,189 posts, read 10,978,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalamanderSmile View Post
The concept of the typical suburb is meaningless in greater Boston, which was built out before the concept of the suburb existed. None of these places is so dependent upon Boston for an identity that it would disappear if Boston were to disappear. They all have their own "ness." I would say that the more rural ones (Carlisle, Dover, Sherborn, Lincoln) that lack a decent town center have the least cultural identity. I would say Needham, Belmont and Milton could be Boston's idea of a suburb. While Cambridge, Lexington, Newton, Concord, Wellesley are cities in their own right. The weird metrowest like Wayland, Weston, Sudbury are something that doesnt exist most places and I have a hard time describing them for people, subrural?
I think subural sounds better.

Old 11-05-2015, 04:05 PM

4,845 posts, read 10,392,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalamanderSmile View Post
I wouldn't bother separating Carlisle, Dover, Sherborn, Lincoln from Wayland, Weston, Sudbury. Sure the latter group has smaller lots ("only" 1-2 acre lots vs the 2-4 acre lots you find in the first group), but I just consider them all semi-rural suburbs. They are all commutable to Boston while having multiple working farms.

Old 11-05-2015, 04:31 PM
V&L V&L started this thread

112 posts, read 114,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
What do you mean by autonomous?
That it stand on its own either/both in terms of function and identity.

Old 11-06-2015, 08:43 AM

3,199 posts, read 1,877,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V&L View Post
That it stand on its own either/both in terms of function and identity.

I'm really not sure what you are trying to tease out with this post.

As others have suggested, you've chosen an odd mix of towns/cities to compare. Many are purely commuter towns (i.e., Carlisle, Dover, Lincoln) containing little to no industry, while others run the gamut from suburban towns with strong commercial/industry (i.e., Lexington) to Cambridge ... a city of a 100k+ people containing both highly regarded educational institutions and a booming pharma industry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts