Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 07:24 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
You've piqued my curiosity . . . what is it that you're doing at these "more interesting places" on the weekends that cannot be done in the 'burbs?
I telecommute. I work out of my summer house on the coast and winter place at a ski resort. I try to knock off early and go sailing or fishing most days in the summer. I try to get an hour or two of skiing in first thing in the morning or at lunch break in the winter. When I lived in the metro-Boston burbs because I worked there, I wasn't around much on weekends. I've always skied every weekend in the winter and done salt water-oriented things all summer. My decade in Portsmouth, NH worked really well because I was already covered for the summer. When I started telecommuting, I opted to relocate to the Southcoast where the sailing is better and the season is a couple of months longer.

That's why I'm suggesting the OP consider Marion/Mattapoisett since they already want to be there in the summer. "Lack of high end retail" isn't a particularly good reason to disqualify a town. I know the elementary schools are excellent. I'd want to understand Old Rochester Regional and why it rates poorly. It's probably because Rochester has a much lower median household income than Marion & Mattapoisett so the high school doesn't place 99% of their students in college like you'd expect in a top-10 metro-Boston suburb. If they have AP track classes or similar where the good students are in separate classes the metrics might not be valid. The OP appears to be an at-home mom. Her husband has a couple business trips per month so it's more or less my lifestyle. I fly out of Green in Providence when I can and do airport limos to Logan most of the time. Portsmouth, NH was far better Logan access and that is where I'd suggest if summer weekends in Mattapoisett weren't critical. That's not something you'd voluntarily do on a Friday afternoon.

Summer

Winter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2015, 08:43 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,022,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
Suburban life is certainly not for everyone and many find it boring. That's why they live in the city. It depends on the personality type. One of my friends is a very liberal hippy type and she wouldnt be caught dead living in a place like Weston or Hingham. She's all about Somerville. And yes she's married with 2 kids.

You cant fault someone for finding the suburbs boring...just like they cant fault someone who enjoys the suburbs.

'Lots of wealthy families live in those towns and like it'

So because wealthy people live in these places it's assumed everyone should like them? A lot of these places are considered very 'stepford' and are the epitome of soccer mom, executive dad and not everyone has or wants this kind of life.

I would personally rather live in a quiet suburb than in the city.
Absolutely. I have friends that live in Boston that wouldn't live in the 'burbs if you paid them. That's fine. As I've written on this site in the past, homes and hometowns are like shoes . . . not every one is a good fit for every person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I telecommute. I work out of my summer house on the coast and winter place at a ski resort. I try to knock off early and go sailing or fishing most days in the summer. I try to get an hour or two of skiing in first thing in the morning or at lunch break in the winter. When I lived in the metro-Boston burbs because I worked there, I wasn't around much on weekends. I've always skied every weekend in the winter and done salt water-oriented things all summer. My decade in Portsmouth, NH worked really well because I was already covered for the summer. When I started telecommuting, I opted to relocate to the Southcoast where the sailing is better and the season is a couple of months longer.
That sounds like a great lifestyle. I couldn't imagine living like that with my three young kids in tow. I'm guessing that either you don't have kids or they are older.

Old 11-16-2015, 01:08 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,332,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingeorge View Post
You are not mistaken about beauty of this area, nor that OP budget will get them more house for their money, but you sound as you do not have any kids. Boat floating in harbor is last of their issues, and is of low priority now (those refinements can come later on when they are settled for good).

As a parent Op is responsible to find the best town/schools/family oriented atmosphere so their kids can make as easy transition as possible. This is a big move. Not a summer vacation. Middle schooler hints at puberty (soon or already), so clearly not a good time to goof on schools and town.

GeoffD, you mean well, but just by virtue of having kids, OP will not have much time left for any boats floating in the harbor, with work schedule, kid's school/after-school activities, homework, social/school events, shopping etc.. It just doesn't work that way. Single people or couple with no kids, sure, their weekends or time after work are wide open. But not your modern day family. Our weekends get stuffed with all sorts of things that need to be done. It is not complaint, just fact.

Op will need to figure out wants vs. needs and budget. Maybe NH could be better option long term.
Funny I have a friend living in Marion and they use their boat with their kids constantly. Their son now competes in sailboat races and seems to have found his passion in life. Let's not assume that people with kids can't do anything other than homework and soccer pickup. You just need to have the will and prioritization to make it happen. Our friends are often in shock at how many things our kids are able to do living in the city. You control the schedule of your weekend with your family, and you can take advantage of whatever you want to with that free time.

And what does puberty have to do with the town you pick??

Old 11-20-2015, 05:15 AM

374 posts, read 655,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post

That's why I'm suggesting the OP consider Marion/Mattapoisett since they already want to be there in the summer. "Lack of high end retail" isn't a particularly good reason to disqualify a town. I know the elementary schools are excellent. I'd want to understand Old Rochester Regional and why it rates poorly.
Sounds like you have your priorities right. Don't focus on materialism nor "pretend" socially accepted school standards instead of actual metrics. You are right about the south coast being better.

If everyone acted like you, then the prices in Lee's supermarket would come down. They would have to expand the parking lot.

Bill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts