Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2015, 08:58 AM

118 posts, read 210,832 times

Advertisements

Maybe it's a long shot but...does anybody know anything or have any information? I am considering a move to this town and I know nothing about it, even thought I grew up in Rutland, MA which is about 20 min from there.

Growing up we always traveled to Worcester and points east. In fact, I've never even stepped foot in Barre, until recently.

Seems like a very rural, quiet, country town. I have no idea about the school district, any area amenities (which seems like none).

I would love to hear from someone who lives in/near this town. I'm curious where most of the townspeople travel for work, shopping, etc....Again, seems like there's nothing around.

Worcester is about a 40 minute drive...the city of Gardner is about 20, give or take.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2015, 05:51 PM

7,920 posts, read 7,811,466 times
Uh...well I've been though there before. Granted I would say this is probably one of the most remote parts of Mass. Why? It's not near any highways and the Quabbin prevents roads from being closer. With the pike and rt 2 much of western mass isn't that remote. I had no cell reception in Barre and it looked like Vermont. Not much there and frankly I didn't see much to stay there for. Sure take some photos and then leave.

Old 11-11-2015, 06:13 AM

1,025 posts, read 1,529,096 times
Barre is a small, scenic, and isolated town in the western part of Central Mass. You wouldn't know it, but it grew substantially from 1980s to 2007 or so when more commuters moved in, though it's not near anyplace to work except that Worcester is somewhat doable or the N Central mill towns. Unpretentious, which is a breath of fresh air in this puffed-up little state. It's also one of the last strongholds of the Massachusetts dirt farmer, i.e. multi generational, non-"gentleman", non-trendy CSA style farming, and that's kind of interesting. Some of the old time farmers have jumped on the train of fancy CSA and farm market food sold around Boston for exorbitant prices so they can survive. The town common is large and beautiful, though the town center has little more than a few pizza places, a Subway, and a laundromat. For culture etc there are two fancy restaurants in town, Picasso and Jenkins Inn, and a respected community theatre guild (Barre Players). A very good farm stand / deli is at Carter and Stevens Farm, with summer bbq food and they are also building a brewery on site. You'll find a few roadhouses scattered around town where you'll meet rural "real Americans" instead of traditional suburban Massaholes. Lots of places to fish and hunt and it's part of the rural culture. There is a Dunkin Donuts unfortunately. And a drug problem in the old mill section of town, South Barre. It's sure not for everybody but it is for somebody.

Old 11-11-2015, 07:10 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,138,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCMA View Post
Barre is a small, scenic, and isolated town in the western part of Central Mass. You wouldn't know it, but it grew substantially from 1980s to 2007 or so when more commuters moved in, though it's not near anyplace to work except that Worcester is somewhat doable or the N Central mill towns. Unpretentious, which is a breath of fresh air in this puffed-up little state. It's also one of the last strongholds of the Massachusetts dirt farmer, i.e. multi generational, non-"gentleman", non-trendy CSA style farming, and that's kind of interesting. Some of the old time farmers have jumped on the train of fancy CSA and farm market food sold around Boston for exorbitant prices so they can survive. The town common is large and beautiful, though the town center has little more than a few pizza places, a Subway, and a laundromat. For culture etc there are two fancy restaurants in town, Picasso and Jenkins Inn, and a respected community theatre guild (Barre Players). A very good farm stand / deli is at Carter and Stevens Farm, with summer bbq food and they are also building a brewery on site. You'll find a few roadhouses scattered around town where you'll meet rural "real Americans" instead of traditional suburban Massaholes. Lots of places to fish and hunt and it's part of the rural culture. There is a Dunkin Donuts unfortunately. And a drug problem in the old mill section of town, South Barre. It's sure not for everybody but it is for somebody.
This pretty much sums Barre. Seems like most of the younger residents in town are, in some way, tied to the Worcester economy. Plenty of middle class tradesmen.

If schools are a concern, I advise looking east toward towns like Paxton, Sterling, Princeton, Westminster ... they all have school systems which are considered "better" by a large margin. Of course, prices in town reflect this.

Old 11-12-2015, 07:23 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,257,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
This pretty much sums Barre. Seems like most of the younger residents in town are, in some way, tied to the Worcester economy. Plenty of middle class tradesmen.

If schools are a concern, I advise looking east toward towns like Paxton, Sterling, Princeton, Westminster ... they all have school systems which are considered "better" by a large margin. Of course, prices in town reflect this.
Wachusett and Oakmont aren't better by a "wide margin" compared to Quabbin. Had someone mentioned Templeton, Winchendon, or Athol instead, your statement about the schools would be true. The towns that feed into QRHS, particularly Barre and Hubbardston have grown a lot in recent years, and have their fair share of transplanted professionals.

Old 11-13-2015, 07:35 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,138,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
Wachusett and Oakmont aren't better by a "wide margin" compared to Quabbin. Had someone mentioned Templeton, Winchendon, or Athol instead, your statement about the schools would be true. The towns that feed into QRHS, particularly Barre and Hubbardston have grown a lot in recent years, and have their fair share of transplanted professionals.
There are multiple benchmarks which suggest otherwise.

For example, the 2015 MCAS scores:

Wachusett: 75% advanced, 19% proficient, 5% needs-improvement, 2% failing
Quabbin: 48% advanced, 33% proficient, 17% needs-improvement, 2% failing

Old 11-14-2015, 09:44 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,257,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
There are multiple benchmarks which suggest otherwise.

For example, the 2015 MCAS scores:

Wachusett: 75% advanced, 19% proficient, 5% needs-improvement, 2% failing
Quabbin: 48% advanced, 33% proficient, 17% needs-improvement, 2% failing
Nice try. You picked only one school and only the math results. So, lets compare English results with Oakmont, one of the schools you claim is better than Quabbin "by a wide margin."

QRHS ORHS

Advanced 53 52
Proficient 43 43
Needs Improvement 3 4
Failing: 1 2

The point is we can nitpick all day, but to mislead the OP with false information that Barre has inferior schools is irresponsible. All three schools we mentioned are well above the state average.

Old 11-14-2015, 11:18 AM

118 posts, read 210,832 times
Thanks for all the replies! Well, I was curious about the schools....The Quabbin district website sure does make them sound good, thats for sure.

So, would you say most people drive to Worcester or Gardner for work, shopping, etc?

My thought is, "Where the heck do they get there groceries?" lol.

Thanks!

Old 11-17-2015, 05:53 AM

1,025 posts, read 1,529,096 times
They all grow their own food clearly?

There is a mini IGA in town, a tiny Hannaford in N Brookfield, and beyond that I guess Gardner, Athol, or Ware for bigger grocery stores, or Worcester if it's a person in the habit of going that direction.

I've come across Barre people who work roughly an hour in any direction. So while weighted toward Gardner, Leominster, or Worcester, within an hour there's also Springfield area and Amherst. Also, while small, Barre is kind of a central town for that area (compared to say Hardwick, Oakham, New Braintree) so I wouldn't discount local employment entirely. Someone has to manage that one Dunkin and own the handful of local eateries, and local trades people are around, and a lot work at the substantial sized regional school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts