Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2016, 06:34 AM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partial Observer View Post
Yeah, he sounds like the lovechild of a Spartan and a Buddhist monk. If your definition of "the simple life" includes nice vacations, big German leases, and sailboats, then what's the next rung on the ladder -- Jordan Belfort?
Excuse me - I meant a simple life in comparison to others that earn $500K+ a year. There is no $2 million house, no vacation home(s), no 30' powerboat, no ostentatious life. He is in a 3 BR cape that was bought 25 years ago and has a Sunfish. His yearly vacation is taking the family away for low key trip - no junkets to Austria to ski or glamping in Africa. When his kids began driving he bought a used Subaru for them. Yeah the German lease is his biggest indulgence. His biggest expense now is probably college tuition for his kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2016, 07:43 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,650,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jan0105 View Post
Yeah. Lots of drug dealers buying up the housing stock in Lexington and Dover.
You have to launder the money some how

Old 02-20-2016, 07:59 AM

9,094 posts, read 6,317,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMA View Post
You have to launder the money some how
That is what these people do not understand. If getting caught was guaranteed not to happen, then illegal activities would be far more lucrative than legal W-2 / 1099 work because the illegal activities do not have to conform to taxes and regulations.

Those people into smuggling and the higher echelons of the drug trade possess big bucks and they are not going to settle for living in a ****hole or the gateway cities. Those places are for the low level street dealers. Jan0105 and Timberline cannot tell the difference between these upper level criminals and normal upper class people (and nor can I) because they launder their illicit gains on nice houses, nice cars, jewelry and nice clothes and appear just like the 5%ers on the outside.

Last edited by AtkinsonDan; 02-20-2016 at 08:19 AM..

Old 02-20-2016, 08:05 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,650,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
That is what these people do not understand. If getting caught was guaranteed not to happen, then illegal activities would be far more lucrative than legal W-2 / 1099 work because the illegal activities do not have to conform to taxes and regulations.

Those people into smuggling and the higher echelons of the drug trade possess big bucks and they are not going to settle for living in a ****hole or the gateway cities. Those places are for the low level street dealers. Jan1015 and Timberline cannot tell the difference between these upper level criminals and normal upper class people (and nor can I) because they launder their illicit gains on nice houses, nice cars, jewelry and nice clothes and appear just like the 5%ers on the outside.
First, my comment was just a joke.

Second, I agree with you for the most part...many big time drug dealers you won't even know they are drug dealers and they don't necessarily live in fancy homes. They live in pretty middle class neighborhoods and could be right next to you and you wouldn't even know it.

Old 02-20-2016, 08:26 AM

9,094 posts, read 6,317,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMA View Post
Second, I agree with you for the most part...many big time drug dealers you won't even know they are drug dealers and they don't necessarily live in fancy homes. They live in pretty middle class neighborhoods and could be right next to you and you wouldn't even know it.
And that is the point I have been trying to drive home. People rarely know their neighbors very well these days, especially in rat-race communities.

Old 02-20-2016, 09:10 AM

3,268 posts, read 3,323,101 times
Default Re

There arent a whole lot of pub and pizza places left that are owned by Irish and Italians. There's a few but these days places like that are mainly owned by Brazilians, asians, middle eastern folks.

Old 02-20-2016, 09:35 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post

Those people into smuggling and the higher echelons of the drug trade possess big bucks and they are not going to settle for living in a ****hole or the gateway cities. Those places are for the low level street dealers. Jan0105 and Timberline cannot tell the difference between these upper level criminals and normal upper class people (and nor can I) because they launder their illicit gains on nice houses, nice cars, jewelry and nice clothes and appear just like the 5%ers on the outside.

Riiiight. There are enough of these high level dealers to effect the real estate market. Got it. Hey, its like every third house is either a dealer or a doc engaged in medicaid fraud.

Cuckoo cuckoo.

Old 02-20-2016, 10:13 AM

295 posts, read 317,290 times
On a separate note, the borrowers behind the 40k or so homes that got foreclosure deeds in MA in 08 and 09 may very well be back in the game and qualify for loans after a seven year hiatus. So the people who gambled by overstretching and lost supposedly get to gamble again. Wow.

Last edited by Steephill2; 02-20-2016 at 10:25 AM..

Old 02-20-2016, 10:32 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,697,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steephill2 View Post
On a separate note, the borrowers behind the 40k or so homes that got foreclosure deeds in MA in 08 and 09 may very well be back in the game and qualify for loans after a seven year hiatus. So the people who gambled by overstretching and lost supposedly get to gamble again. Wow.
You're assuming all of them walked away unscathed beyond the hit to their credit report. I'm not so sure that's the case.

Old 02-20-2016, 11:04 AM

434 posts, read 510,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Riiiight. There are enough of these high level dealers to effect the real estate market. Got it. Hey, its like every third house is either a dealer or a doc engaged in medicaid fraud.

Cuckoo cuckoo.
Exactly. I'm not saying all drug dealers sell weed on the corner and live in Roxbury. I'm saying this isn't Miami in the 1980s. The lack of RE inventory in the Boston area isn't due to drug lords buying up houses in the desirable locations.

(I couldn't even type that with a straight face.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts