Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 07:50 AM

4 posts, read 6,611 times

Advertisements

We are moving to the Boston area and trying to figure out where to settle :-)
Schools are very important to us since we have two elementary kids. We are looking for a place with a nice community. Our kids are active in sports, and we love to run and go to the gym. We are looking at the following areas Winchester, Marblehead, and Topsfield. My husband will commute to the Woburn area. We like small towns, but not too sleepy. There needs to be a little village center, gym and decent grocery store in the area. We are open to other towns as well, but need to be on the North or northwest side of town.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2015, 08:09 AM

434 posts, read 510,487 times
Out of those three, I'd choose Winchester. It has a nice downtown, has excellent schools, is close to Boston, and your husband's commute would be measured in minutes, not hours. It's really pricey, though. What kind of budget do you have?

Old 11-30-2015, 08:35 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,493,343 times
Budget would be a big factor. What sort of home are you looking for?

Old 11-30-2015, 08:47 AM

8,543 posts, read 14,020,436 times
It seems to me you're comparing the Earth, Mars, and the Moon. Three very different towns on this list. As others have said, it would be very helpful to know what kind of budget you're looking to stick to.

Old 11-30-2015, 08:48 AM

513 posts, read 646,740 times
I agree with jan0105, Winchester is next door to Woburn and will meet all of your requirements. With that said, it is hard to find a 3 BR home in move in condition for under 800K-there are only 4 currently for sale between 700K and 800K and all are on the smaller side. I didn't see any homes for sale for less than 700K.
Topsfield is a nice town, but more rural. With traffic, I would expect a 40 minute commute to Woburn. You will definitely get a lot more house for your money and the Masconomet School District is highly ranked. The town does have a very small center with a small grocery store, a sub shop, a bakery and a sub shop. You will probably drive about the same amount to shopping as you would in Winchester. Danvers has a couple of malls and grocery stores, as does Ipswich.
Marblehead is a beautiful town, but I think the commute to Woburn would be painful. Being on the coast, there is only one way to Woburn-114 and it is pretty congested. Other than that, Marblehead hits all of your wants. It is expensive, though, and houses tend to be on pretty small lots.
As an alternate suggestion, you may want to consider Reading. It is next to Woburn, has good schools and a nice town center.
All Eastern Massachusetts towns have pretty good sports programs (football, hockey, baseball, soccer, basketball, etc.), unless your children are into niche sports or are very competitive players, I think you will be happy with any of these towns.

Old 11-30-2015, 09:15 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,642,323 times
I would concentrate on Winchester, then expand your search to Melrose, Wakefield, Reading and possibly Andover if you don't find the home you are looking for in Winchester. In January, you will begin to see more homes available to buy for the start of the spring market.

Old 11-30-2015, 12:24 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,810,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
I would concentrate on Winchester, then expand your search to Melrose, Wakefield, Reading and possibly Andover if you don't find the home you are looking for in Winchester. In January, you will begin to see more homes available to buy for the start of the spring market.
The winter and early spring market is dependent on how much snow we get.

Old 11-30-2015, 06:51 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,733,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
It seems to me you're comparing the Earth, Mars, and the Moon. Three very different towns on this list. As others have said, it would be very helpful to know what kind of budget you're looking to stick to.
Well said.

Old 12-01-2015, 06:44 PM

4 posts, read 6,611 times
We have picked three really different towns for a reason. It's hard for us to decide what is most worth (lifestyle wise) except a great school district. If I would had chosen between three exactly the same towns it wouldn't had been that much to think about. Our budget depends upon taxes as well. We would never pay more than a mil for a house.

Old 12-01-2015, 07:16 PM

3,688 posts, read 7,426,863 times
"We like small towns, but not too sleepy."

You can probably rule out Topsfield then. Lynnfield, where I live, is another possibility that falls in to the sleepy category.

Marblehead is great, I know it well, my sister-in-law has been there for 23 years, but that's not a great commute to Woburn.

Winchester is an excellent town but you won't get much change back from your $1 million.

I would look at Bedford. I am consistently impressed by what I see in that town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts