U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 06:02 PM

3 posts, read 10,587 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I've been living on Cape Cod (Chatham) for eight years. It's beautiful here but very isolated especially in the winter! I'm single with three young daughters. I work from home but travel to the Boston area frequently to visit some of my accounts. I also need to be near an airport as I'm a frequent flyer. I'm thinking south shore so I can still be near my family on the Cape. Good schools with small class sizes are a priority. My girls are into dance/performing arts/art. I'd like a town with a trendy downtown area. I'd be looking for a condo in the 500k-600k range.

Any advice?

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2008, 07:11 PM

1,122 posts, read 3,939,332 times
Why not Plymouth? It's close to the Cape, do-able to Boston, and close to all shopping and amenities. I wouldn't call it 'trendy' but I'm thinking you won't find ANYTHING 'trendy' on the south shore. Plus with that kind of money you can probably buy a house or condo right on the ocean.

Old 02-03-2008, 08:29 PM

1,478 posts, read 7,667,541 times
Default There's also Mansfield...

which doesn't have a trendy downtown, either, but has great schools, stable property values, and lots of amenities. Easy commute to Boston and the Cape.

Old 02-04-2008, 12:05 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,195,257 times
Smile Try Hingham/Wakefield/Arlington

Try Hingham

Hingham might be a nice fit for you. You'll be close to the ocean and the commuter rail into Boston (greenbush line).also a great state park with trails nearby (Wompatuck state park and turkey hill reservation) with views of Boston

You wont be more than an hour and a half from the cape either for visits

-jeff
Winchester, MA

Arlington might be another nice option for you....or Wakefield. Commuter options galore in these areas. and beautiful towns.

I'd say Winchester but dont know what you could find for that price. would be worth a look tho its a great town

-jeff
Winchester, MA

Old 02-04-2008, 07:40 AM

1,038 posts, read 3,817,574 times
Plymouth would probably be a good bet for you.

Old 02-04-2008, 12:26 PM

3 posts, read 10,587 times
Thanks for the suggestions! What about schools in Plymouth? Does anyone know anything about Pembroke? I'm also considering renting opportunities and keeping my house on the Cape. I can rent out my house for $2,000 a week in the summer, so I'm thinking it might be wise to rent it until the market turns around. Any more thoughts?

Thanks again.

Old 02-04-2008, 01:13 PM

119 posts, read 155,313 times
I would say Cohasset would be a great choice or even Duxbury. Pembroke is a decent town but I know nothing about their school system. Hingham and Norwell are two other options. If it were me I would choose Cohasset because it's probably the most upscale town on the South Shore. I wouldn't say Plymouth is a good bet because it's not really a nice town. There are parts that are nice but for your price range you can get a place in a nicer town. I would even think Marina Bay in Quincy would be a good choice, but I'm sure the school system in Quincy is not very good.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:34 AM

130 posts, read 810,637 times
I'm no expert on the subject, but I think the plymouth schools are supposed to not be very good.

Are there condos in Cohasset?

Hingham has good schools, commute to Boston, still south shore, access to dance for the kids, etc... and I think there are condos to be had, but I have no idea what they go for.

Good luck!

Old 02-05-2008, 10:48 AM

4,948 posts, read 17,974,291 times
what about scituate-quincy is near the city and the airport. arlington is also nice.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:51 PM

119 posts, read 155,313 times
I have no idea how Plymouth North or Plymouth South are. She's looking for a trendy town and Plymouth is not trendy. Yes Cohasset, like any other town, has condos.

Hingham is definitely a nice town and I would think the price range she is looking at is just fine. Having grown up on the South Shore, when I think of upscale towns, Cohasset jumps out at me first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts