Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 07:01 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,621,508 times

Advertisements

I got engaged in October and we would like to elope to New England in 2009 ,as it is one of our favourite places on earth.

I would be really grateful for any suggestions for wonderful places to Wed, ideally a really pretty village or town which would look stunning in October, with a really good and very special restaurant for a wedding lunch/dinner and Inn to stay in.

I am starting to get ideas from Friends and on the Net but would appreciate as many suggestions as possible.
Thank you for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 08:20 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,369,579 times
A friend of mine used to play chamber music at weddings, and said that October is the busiest season, so you might need to act quickly.
How about the Fruitlands Museum/Dining Room in Harvard? Gorgeous 240-acre property with a view to Mt. Wachusett. I know my friend played weddings there. As for inns, you'd have to look around. People love the Wayside Inn in Sudbury, a couple of towns over. The Wayside also does weddings.
Another friend got married at the Habitat in Belmont, a former estate, now conservation area, woods and fields, five miles from Cambridge. Indoor area, or outdoor ceremony. Again, no inn right there, but I think the venue might be harder to nail down than lodging.
Anything right along the coast/Cape likely won't be so gorgeous in October, as the really bright color trees tend to be more inland.

Old 02-04-2008, 08:33 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,621,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
A friend of mine used to play chamber music at weddings, and said that October is the busiest season, so you might need to act quickly.
How about the Fruitlands Museum/Dining Room in Harvard? Gorgeous 240-acre property with a view to Mt. Wachusett. I know my friend played weddings there. As for inns, you'd have to look around. People love the Wayside Inn in Sudbury, a couple of towns over. The Wayside also does weddings.
Another friend got married at the Habitat in Belmont, a former estate, now conservation area, woods and fields, five miles from Cambridge. Indoor area, or outdoor ceremony. Again, no inn right there, but I think the venue might be harder to nail down than lodging.
Anything right along the coast/Cape likely won't be so gorgeous in October, as the really bright color trees tend to be more inland.
Thank you so much for all the ideas, it sounds all lovely.
We are thinking of October 2009, do you think that might be a problem ?

Old 02-04-2008, 08:51 AM

33 posts, read 120,257 times
Chatham Bars Inn...Chatham, MA

Beautiful all year round and glorious in October. Quaint town w/ lots to do for guests in town. The view of the Ocean is breathtaking.

Foliage is very vibrant on the Cape in the Fall believe it or not...and the Ocean is just warm and lovely to look at.

Old 02-05-2008, 02:34 PM

1,038 posts, read 3,995,860 times
Two suggestions: GlenMagna.org (just north of Boston) and Coonamesset Inn in Falmouth. I've been to weddings in both and they do a beautiful job. I'm trying to find another one for you in Falmouth....just have to recall the name. BRB

Old 02-05-2008, 02:42 PM

1,038 posts, read 3,995,860 times
Found it! Bourne Farm in Falmouth, MA. Absolutely gorgeous spot for an Autumn wedding.
Bourne Farm - West Falmouth, MA

Old 02-06-2008, 04:42 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,018,408 times
Moose

you might look into the romantic and scenic Inn at Mystic in Mystic Connecticut

also in CT the historic Copper Beech Inn Ivoryton CT

Old 02-06-2008, 11:00 PM

739 posts, read 2,185,750 times
If you can, get your marriage license at Cambridge City Hall. It only cost us $3 and, so far, has lasted 24 years.

What else can you buy for 12 cents a year? A real bargain.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:13 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,834,313 times
Default Head west

...to Deerfield. The village is beautiful in autumn. Deerfield Inn very nice. Also consider Shelburne Falls on the Mohawk Trail-- lovely N.E. scenery, very pretty and walkable village with shops, craftspeople, restaurants. Don't know about inns there but there's likely to be something good. I'd get suggestions on other New England boards too--lots of scenic spots in Vt, N.H., Me, R. I., and Connecticut.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:47 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,369,579 times
Not sure if it's "Eloping" if you're planning it months ahead! Sounds like a planned wedding thing to me.
That said, if you plan anything in October, you'd better line it up NOW. A lot is already gone, unless you really mean a nice dinner for 12 or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts