Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 12:20 PM

8,491 posts, read 4,552,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan0105 View Post
Looking for a quick trip with my husband. TIA for ideas!

If you are looking to do this in the winter months and want to get away from the colder and snowier parts of New England, I would strongly suggest the SE part of New England from Cape Cod through southern RI and into southeastern CT. The winters are less harsh and there aren't as many hassles as in the summer when the area is inundated with crowds. Still plenty to due and the sea is always beautiful no matter what time of year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2015, 04:16 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,260,374 times
Whoever is downplaying Northampton -- hey, I live there, and it's great! And I am WAY too old to be a student. Restaurants, shops, arts scene, night life, fantastic art museum and greenhouse at Smith College -- the list goes on. Check out the city website if you don't believe me, or any of the "cool small cities" polls we've recently won. And under two hours from Boston!

Old 12-16-2015, 04:40 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tovarisch View Post
Whoever is downplaying Northampton -- hey, I live there, and it's great! And I am WAY too old to be a student. Restaurants, shops, arts scene, night life, fantastic art museum and greenhouse at Smith College -- the list goes on. Check out the city website if you don't believe me, or any of the "cool small cities" polls we've recently won. And under two hours from Boston!
I think I was the culprit. My family lived in Northampton for generations and I'm the first to move away. I guess to me, it's just plain old home. But I could see how someone from elsewhere would love all the restaurants and shops. Silverscape--the expensive jewelry store, if it's still there, and of course, Thorne's. I practically lived in the Smith tropical greenhouse and used to enjoy their museum. It's a nice little city but it's best in summer or intercession when the students are GONE.

Old 12-17-2015, 03:37 AM

I've lived here for 35 years. It's a great place to raise a family. I don't feel overwhelmed by the students; I don't go downtown much, as I leave it to the tourists and visitors. But that's why it may be a good day trip for the original poster on this thread.

Old 10-20-2016, 09:36 PM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston_Burbs View Post
Shelburne Falls or Charlemont.

OMG. My SO is from Shelburne Falls, and never thought I'd say this growing up in a Southern Ct city of 50k, but I adore her town. Love visiting. Charming people. Beautiful scenery. So peaceful.

Old 10-21-2016, 03:48 AM

Northampton (I'm a resident) is fun any time of year! There are MANY hotel options; the Hotel Northampton is right downtown, but there is the Autumn Inn (across from the Smith campus) and several others about a half mile away from downtown. Do an Internet search if you plan to visit.

Old 10-21-2016, 08:37 AM

2,202 posts, read 5,355,148 times
Newport, RI.

Lots to do even in winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts