Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 12:57 PM

404 posts, read 526,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
You honestly think massive investment by deep pocketed investors with tight political connections was made in the corridor back in the 90s? I'd love to see your evidence of this.

I lived in that corridor in the 90s, and I don't recall evidence of this at all.
Madam, my premise was why the project will PROCEED now, not who thought it up 100 yrs ago. Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2015, 01:09 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,930,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traffic_lover View Post
Madam, my premise was why the project will PROCEED now, not who thought it up 100 yrs ago. Cheers!

It will proceed now because they really have no choice for it to proceed. The agreements were signed and are in place. They can either invest the money in the project and complete it, or they can lose than money in court costs and penalties for violating the agreements that were made.

Would you prefer one over the other? I'd prefer, if the money is going to be spent anyway, to actually do the project.

Old 12-22-2015, 03:47 PM

173 posts, read 198,536 times
Quote:
I think both sides of this argument are right:
-Former struggling cities with redeeming history & attributes like new bedford, lowell, providence are rising fast as the urban middle class spills in. Millenials, artists, etc. Those cities have seen a renaissance of late.
Just curious about the mention of New Bedford. Is it really "rising fast"? I just don't get that feeling from what I've read (but full disclosure, I don't really have much first hand experience with that city). It seems like Lowell and Worcester are on a completely different level when it comes to their outlook. Even Springfield, with its numerous upcoming major investments and projects (Union Station renovation, Springfield-Hartford Rail, MGM's entertainment complex, UMass and Baystate's new medical school, and others) looks a lot more promising in the near term at first glance. But I'm wondering from people who know the city better if there's something that some of the headlines might not be catching on to.

Old 12-22-2015, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave120 View Post
Just curious about the mention of New Bedford. Is it really "rising fast"? I just don't get that feeling from what I've read (but full disclosure, I don't really have much first hand experience with that city). It seems like Lowell and Worcester are on a completely different level when it comes to their outlook. Even Springfield, with its numerous upcoming major investments and projects (Union Station renovation, Springfield-Hartford Rail, MGM's entertainment complex, UMass and Baystate's new medical school, and others) looks a lot more promising in the near term at first glance. But I'm wondering from people who know the city better if there's something that some of the headlines might not be catching on to.
I went there to party downtown & it blew my cajones off. Really trendy bars, revamped waterfront. You wouldn't recognize it

Old 12-22-2015, 06:51 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,319,612 times
Default re

Quote:
I went there to party downtown & it blew my cajones off. Really trendy bars, revamped waterfront. You wouldn't recognize it
that is surprising because there is a lot of crime there still.

Old 12-22-2015, 07:11 PM

3,776 posts, read 2,679,806 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
that is surprising because there is a lot of crime there still.
The two are not mutually exclusive.

Old 12-22-2015, 07:12 PM

3,776 posts, read 2,679,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
It will proceed now because they really have no choice for it to proceed. The agreements were signed and are in place. They can either invest the money in the project and complete it, or they can lose than money in court costs and penalties for violating the agreements that were made.

Would you prefer one over the other? I'd prefer, if the money is going to be spent anyway, to actually do the project.
Exactly right, and I suppose it's obvious from my posts in this thread that I agree.

Old 12-22-2015, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
The two are not mutually exclusive.
Right!! Alls I'm saying is I was PLEASANTLY surprised. Looking good & I hope it becomes a true comeback player of the century award. VERY pretty city with a rich history out of a book (literally).

Now...would I wander down an unknown street off the beaten track at 1 am? Um no

Old 12-22-2015, 11:22 PM

131 posts, read 139,609 times
Default illusion

If the original poster actually examined Worcester he would have known what to expect. He didn't apparently.

The City is built-out, like most of the cities around there, so if reconstruction takes place the cost includes removing what it already in place. It would probably included infrastructure alterations, like water and sewer and new traffic adjustments...my point is that it's more expensive to build there, than say in newer cities with room for expansion built in, or fresh ground.

In Florida they're building new cities because retirees don't want to live in the old traditional retirement places with all their social issues. Complexes like the Villages https://www.thevillages.com/ are being build and leaving the old cities to up and coming generations who think crime at 3 x the national average is common and exciting. Where eating in someone else's dining room is how success is measured.

Boise has a larger population but it has little diversity, the local Indians have a reservation of their own. There is a lot of conflict in diversity, there are winners and losers on larger scales. Where Worcester has 3x the national crime level, Boise is 50% below. If you weren't forced by job or educational need to move from Boise to Worcester the rational choice would have been to stay there. Me. I prefer Ketchum, Whitefish, or Riggins ID for things to do. Sun Valley, one of my faves, has great skiing and food with parties 24/7.

What gets me is poster's saying there's nothing to do. There's a lake at the bottom of Bell Hill, go sailing, boating, fishing. Worcester had plenty of music venues, and no shortage of booze if that's your thing. Dirt bike or snowmobile at Rutland State park. Hand Gliding at Mt Wachusett, Sky Diving at Orange Airport.
As far as parties go, they're everywhere.

Last edited by CaseyB; 12-23-2015 at 05:04 AM.. Reason: competitor site

Old 12-23-2015, 09:58 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,930,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leenme View Post
The City is built-out, like most of the cities around there, so if reconstruction takes place the cost includes removing what it already in place. It would probably included infrastructure alterations, like water and sewer and new traffic adjustments...my point is that it's more expensive to build there, than say in newer cities with room for expansion built in, or fresh ground.

This is a problem lots of places. There need to be more programs to help reclamation of properties and lands. There is no way we should be cutting trees and paving green spaces to build when there are vacant or underutilized areas everywhere that have already been built on. Yes, there are a host of environmental contaminant issues at times, but this is the job of government to step in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts