Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 02:04 PM

339 posts, read 665,194 times

Advertisements

You've all given me so much to think about and consider. Will discuss with my wife and if NH is still a prospect we'll post in that forum too for input. MA is our top choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2015, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
Anywhere in Eastern MA or Southern NH.

To be blunt your budget doesn't allow you to be as picky as you want to be. If you find a habitable house that's in budget you should pounce on it and not worry about things like "grittiness" or public school rankings. Again, I'm not saying that to be a downer. It's just the reality of the situation that you've described.
I appreciate the honesty. Not being a downer. It's true. However even looking at south of Boston, places like Whitman, Raynham, Hanson, Plainville, even North Attleboro had a few homes available under $250k. Those towns from what I know have decent schools. Whereas north of Boston it appears to be slim to none or nonexistent. I think we have to decide if north of Boston is truly where we want to be.

Old 12-27-2015, 04:00 PM

9,877 posts, read 7,209,711 times
Quote:
There's virtually no tax savings if you work in MA but live in NH so this story makes no sense.
That's right. There virtually is no tax savings yet almost 84,000 people do it everyday. His thought was that the savings on sales tax and the cost of the house would make it worthwhile. IMHO, he didn't think it through.

My point was that any savings he did have - even if he worked in NH which he did for a couple of years out of the 20 he was in NH - was wiped out by private school tuition.

Old 12-27-2015, 04:12 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,737,232 times
My experience is out of date but I can tell you that MA schools are not all they are cracked up to be. My son went to high school in an up market town (Naperville) in IL and then to high school in Andover MA. I can tell you the teachers/administrators in IL were much more hands on, cared about the student than MA was. MA was only interested in the "numbers", not the individual.

I say if your child needs extra services or is extremely bright than MA might (I say might) be very good but if your child is an average student than MA schools are not as good as many believe.

Last edited by johngolf; 12-27-2015 at 05:18 PM..

Old 12-27-2015, 04:21 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,989,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
You said in your other thread, however, that your housing budget is $250K. Can you actually buy any decent house in these communities for $250K?
Kind of sums up the entire thread.

Find the least expensive house in the best neighborhood. No matter what city/town. No matter NH/Mass.

Again, commuting time should be a main concern. More time with family should trump any choice of city/town.

Wouldn't rule out any city/town that has parochial schools. Always a good education. None are religion exempt.

Old 12-27-2015, 04:59 PM

9,089 posts, read 6,314,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
My point was that any savings he did have - even if he worked in NH which he did for a couple of years out of the 20 he was in NH - was wiped out by private school tuition.
So if private school was taken out of the equation would it still have been a bad financial decision? I have no children and I live in NH but work in MA. I feel like I am doing better in NH than if I had stayed in MA.

Old 12-27-2015, 06:17 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,696,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins3445 View Post
I appreciate the honesty. Not being a downer. It's true. However even looking at south of Boston, places like Whitman, Raynham, Hanson, Plainville, even North Attleboro had a few homes available under $250k. Those towns from what I know have decent schools. Whereas north of Boston it appears to be slim to none or nonexistent. I think we have to decide if north of Boston is truly where we want to be.
I live south of Boston. I can assure you that pretty much any single family house that costs less than $300k has huge issues that will cost you serious money to remedy, if it's even feasible. Since you say your budget is pretty firm, I would proceed cautiously.

Old 12-27-2015, 07:00 PM

Quote:
I live south of Boston. I can assure you that pretty much any single family house that costs less than $300k has huge issues that will cost you serious money to remedy, if it's even feasible. Since you say your budget is pretty firm, I would proceed cautiously.
Well there goes that idea. We wouldn't have money for repairs on a house like that. what areas west of Boston that have easy commute to Boston (I know I'm going to be doing ~1 hour drive). Hopefully a town right off the highway, not out too far off the beaten path. Any recommendations for a home in a different area of MA that has good access to Boston under $250k?

Old 12-27-2015, 08:14 PM

9,877 posts, read 7,209,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
So if private school was taken out of the equation would it still have been a bad financial decision? I have no children and I live in NH but work in MA. I feel like I am doing better in NH than if I had stayed in MA.
There are many factors for each individual. IMHO, it would have made more sense for him to live in MA than in NH all things considered. Our homes were similarly sized with similar amenities. His was assessed at 25% less but he paid 60% more in property taxes. Of course his initial outlay for that home was less. But those additional property taxes would have come close to covering his state incomes taxes. I spent 30-45 minutes commuting each way versus his 60-75 minutes - I'd rather be sitting on my deck than fighting another 30 minutes of traffic. He and his family traveled regularly to Boston for personal reasons which IMHO made more sense to be in MA.

If he were commuting to say Methuen instead of Boston and had little other reason to come to MA, he probably would have been better off in NH.

But back to my original point - the value for the taxes paid. If the schools aren't worth sending your kids to and you bear the expense of private school tuition, then any savings in lower taxes is lost. He spent about $150,000 over 12 years for private school. That could have paid for lots of sales and income tax.

YMMV.

Old 12-28-2015, 05:28 AM

1,708 posts, read 2,911,481 times
Word of advice, be sure to factor in the cost of commuting into your home purchase.

The True Cost of Commuting

I made this mistake with my first house and though I saved on the purchase price, I wasted more money on cars, maintenance, and gas. At least with a more expensive house you are paying it off, with car expenses it is just lost money.

Do you have to commute all the way into Boston? If so, maybe look at Tyngsboro.. they have an express bus that goes from the park and ride on rt. 3 to Boston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts