Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 09:52 AM

5,792 posts, read 5,107,619 times

Advertisements

Sugar, especially the corn syrup variety that is found in practically everything we fat Americans stuff into our collective mouths, is the worse thing for you. And it's incredibly addicting, though it is not classified as a "drug."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2016, 05:02 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,650,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Sugar, especially the corn syrup variety that is found in practically everything we fat Americans stuff into our collective mouths, is the worse thing for you. And it's incredibly addicting, though it is not classified as a "drug."
You can thank all the farm subsidies for that, and for ethanol.

Old 01-03-2016, 08:10 PM

18 posts, read 47,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
To be fair though much of this touches on mental health. The trouble is frankly no one can really say who should do it. If its the government then it becomes political. The state has largely closed mental health facilities over the past generation.

If it's the private sector then they have to profit and again who specifically pays.

If it's a non profit then it still has to have income to pay the bills and financially they might not have enough to pay employees.
Great breakdown.

Additional considerations: Is it worth it to increase the legal repercussions of selling heroin to further dissuade dealers? Or, should our efforts be focused on understanding why people turn to heroin in the first place, as complex as those reasons might be?

Providing greater educational and economic opportunity should, in theory, provide more meaningful options for individuals to pursue. I used to be vehemently against materialism, but if it's that or substance abuse, I'd prefer to see the former. Of course, that's more of a band-aid. The greater goal should be spiritual engagement, in whatever form. Perhaps the modern vacuum here is the root of the crisis?

Old 01-04-2016, 03:00 AM

5,792 posts, read 5,107,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrdinaryGuy2005 View Post
Great breakdown.

Additional considerations: Is it worth it to increase the legal repercussions of selling heroin to further dissuade dealers? Or, should our efforts be focused on understanding why people turn to heroin in the first place, as complex as those reasons might be?

Providing greater educational and economic opportunity should, in theory, provide more meaningful options for individuals to pursue. I used to be vehemently against materialism, but if it's that or substance abuse, I'd prefer to see the former. Of course, that's more of a band-aid. The greater goal should be spiritual engagement, in whatever form. Perhaps the modern vacuum here is the root of the crisis?
Greater educational and economic opportunities wont solve the problem, folks. There are plenty of people who well understand the effects of drugs, and have plenty of educational and material opportunities going for them, and yet they become addicts. Spirituality is great, but how do we sell it to people who are ignorant and hook on pop culture?

Old 01-04-2016, 07:13 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrdinaryGuy2005 View Post

More punishment will only drive up prices (and related crime), it won't affect quantities available. The war on drugs is a total failure. It's time to get the drug dealers out of business. Prohibition has failed.

Old 01-08-2016, 01:12 PM

260 posts, read 239,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
More punishment will only drive up prices (and related crime), it won't affect quantities available. The war on drugs is a total failure. It's time to get the drug dealers out of business. Prohibition has failed.
I agree with some of this but disagree with others. The war on drugs was a success AT FIRST. Back during the crack epidemic of the 80's, it was the right thing to do. The level of crime, addiction and disease caused by the epidemic was a public crisis that no one saw coming. The war on drugs was necessary to combat the rising crime, and worked in the end. 1991 was the most violent year in our country's history. But now that we've made advancements, I do think the current policies don't work as well as they should.

I see both sides of the argument. I don't always agree with giving someone a record for use/possession (especially marijuana, that's just ridiculous. Thank god our state did away with it) and never agreed that stricter sentences would work. Until I went to Florida that is...

Florida is well known for its high crime rate, but also for its extremely harsh penalties for drug use, possession, and trafficking. When I was there, I was open to the idea of scoring some weed, though I wasn't seeking it out much. I was solicited on the beach by two guys who said they had it for cheap. I said i wanted to see it, they showed me. They kept asking if I was with the police, to which I replied no. But I said I'd have to get my money from the hotel and be back (5 bucks, why the hell not). We had a conversation about some other things, Florida, etc. throughout which they kept asking me if I was a cop. They were even more nervous when I said I had to leave and come back. I could tell their stuff was real, and I can handle myself well so I wasn't too worried about everything, but I had to go. When I returned, they were gone. You might think "so?" What does that tell you? I tried/wanted to get some, but I couldn't. These guys were so scared of the possible penalties, that they said f*ck it and jumped ship. I know people down there who have plenty of similar stories. But bottom line is that the laws (to my surprise) work to a degree. Both customers and dealers are scared.

That being said, they won't ever eliminate drug trafficking and drug use completely. Never. Did prohibition eliminate drinking? It's like telling your 13 year old they can't watch an R rated movie. They're just going to sneak around and find a way to try and see it. If they encounter difficulties, it makes them want to see it more. I think decriminalizing drugs (decriminalizing, not legalizing) and completely legalizing marijuana, taxing it, regulating it, and then using some of the (realistically) massive proceeds to fund drug education- is what's going to help. But no matter what route you take, it will never be eradicated. People have probably been finding ways to escape reality since ancient Egypt

Old 01-08-2016, 01:57 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,261,685 times
Portugal has decriminalized EVERYTHING (all drugs) and seen addiction and crime go down. Look it up. The U.S. loves to ignore policies that are successful elsewhere.

Old 01-08-2016, 05:12 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,226,066 times
The heroin problem and other drugs has been going on for years. The cape is corrupt. You have the rich coming in at spring until fall who want there stuff and the cape Verde gangs who run the trade.There is always a spring sweep that rids some of the dealers from the street but always another to take on the business. I lived there for about 7 years and know how what goes on. Some of these kids sell all night and deliver to million dollar homes.

I didn't see the HBO special and don't need to after living there. People like there stuff and there r plenty of young ones willing to provide.

Old 01-09-2016, 08:27 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,650,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tovarisch View Post
Portugal has decriminalized EVERYTHING (all drugs) and seen addiction and crime go down. Look it up. The U.S. loves to ignore policies that are successful elsewhere.
I've seen that also. Good luck getting that to happen as all the unions for cops and the prison system will be upset, as well as anyone who works in the government for the DEA, etc.

Old 01-10-2016, 08:32 PM

7,924 posts, read 7,814,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMA View Post
You can thank all the farm subsidies for that, and for ethanol.
Well even before then the creation of high fructose corn syrup in the mid 1970s...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts