Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 06:11 PM

278 posts, read 1,063,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronniec78 View Post
I don't see how anyone could like Houston. Maybe it was culture shock for me. The city itself is ugly. The people are not overly friendly either. All I heard was terrible things before I got there and found out they're all true. It is the worst city I have ever been to bar none. If you're talking TX I would say Austin is the best choice. Beyond that, I hear Dallas is a step up from Houston.
Metro Houston is indeed an unattractive, overpopulated megacity. However, the deep suburbs can be wonderful places to live. Particularly Katy, Sugarland and Richmond. If you can live and work at least 30 miles outside downtown Houston, it's not so bad. I wouldn't live there are a young person, however! It is major family/burbs.
Austin is awesome, but it's so laid back. If he is looking for city life, like in Boston, Austin is the anti-city...which is also its greatest charm and asset. The Austin motto says it all: Keep Austin Weird.
I love it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 06:49 AM

119 posts, read 176,023 times
You need to get off of the whole TX issue. This person did not mention TX at all. and 2KidsforMe is a jerk.

Old 04-10-2008, 11:05 AM

137 posts, read 394,617 times
thanks for the help everyone, and yes im not looking at texas/houston as a possibility. sorry texas fans... i really need a big city because of my job right now, so im thinking either DC or Atlanta. Im nervous that everyone in DC will be cutthroat/political/"northern" haha.... but im also nervous about the traffic in ATL, and the fact that I might not be accepted due to my northern roots...

Old 04-10-2008, 12:00 PM

263 posts, read 797,681 times
Thumbs up Atlanta

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake786 View Post
thanks for the help everyone, and yes im not looking at texas/houston as a possibility. sorry texas fans... i really need a big city because of my job right now, so im thinking either DC or Atlanta. Im nervous that everyone in DC will be cutthroat/political/"northern" haha.... but im also nervous about the traffic in ATL, and the fact that I might not be accepted due to my northern roots...

Come on down to Atlanta! You won't find anyone here that won't accept you since you are from the North....I'm originally from Michigan but have lived in the South for the past 16 years. The only place where I found there to be snobbiness (is that a word) is when we lived in Charleston, SC. There you were either born and raised there or you were a "transplant" which the "natives" don't like too much!

We live about 20 miles north of the City, in Cherokee County. Traffic can be bad, but I guess you just get kinda used to it. There are tons of "upscale" cities where you could find gainful employment besides the actual city of Atlanta. Alpharetta, Marietta, Roswell, Cumming.....

Just keep in mind that it gets HOT & HUMID here in the Summer!!! It's no joke, the humidity is so bad that I would move just to get away from it!!!

Old 04-10-2008, 01:50 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
What's the old saying about Washington? "It has Southern efficiency and Northern charm."
I gather housing anywhere convenient *at all* is astronomical, and traffic into the burbs and city equally difficult. Lots of work there, though, of all kinds of professions.

Old 04-10-2008, 06:48 PM

210 posts, read 507,539 times
Charlotte bigger than Boston? Depends on how you determine big! Charlotte has 600K people in 240 sq. miles, while Boston had 585K people in 48 sq. miles. And that is only Boston proper, not considering the intensely packed crowded areas around it that meld together but are not actually part of Boston.

Old 04-11-2008, 05:57 PM

4,266 posts, read 11,418,220 times
I'm actually moving to Cary, NC next week. Great place but definitely more for families rather than singles. Areas around Duke (Durham) and UNC (Chapel Hill) are more college oriented. I think Charlotte is a great place for singles - cost of living is so much lower, affordable real estate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
View detailed profiles of: