Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 05:44 PM

53 posts, read 54,419 times

Advertisements

"Winchentucky" lol love it I actually love West Virginia and (parts of) Kentucky, wish there were more jobs out there besides the fracking/strip mining industries. Although I've thought about driving a truck shipping the dirty water in and out or what not, but I really don't want to contribute to the destruction of those beautiful areas. So Winchentucky that would be Winchendon go up toward Monadnock right?

I'm definitely going to check out those hill towns outside of Worcester like Paxton, thanks traffic lover, in_NewEngland, and Humphrey.

One thing in the back of my mind is that, if I stay around the Burg/Lemontown or Worcester and not too much further West, I could still commute back to the Boston area for work if absolutely necessary, until I find sufficient work in those more depressed areas. Easier to find work the further east you go, unless I go over towards Noho which might have a few more service/transportation/etc.. gigs. But thanks for the heads up about Easthampton getting more pricey, I will still check it out but maybe concentrate more on the hill towns just outside of Eho.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 05:49 AM

2,912 posts, read 5,127,008 times
I'm a cab driver, so I found the story interesting.

Seems you need to move very quickly? You mentioned the South Shore as an option, but it seems that central Massachusetts is your ideal. But ifyou can afford an apartment in Lynn, maybe Quincy or Weymouth could work out; they'll likely be much costlier but perhaps still reasonable for you for now...until you can reassess, since you're in need of of moving soon.

At least Quincu is near the Blue Hills for your recreation.

Would you consider renting a room in those areas? Maybe only a six-month commitment until you're ready to re-assess your situation.

I'm unclear if you wish to move now to your forever place...and to the place you can afford to buy...or is renting an apartment, room or even roommates acceptable for a few years as you save and re-assess? As you said, without a job, you won't easily get a house for now, anyway.

Do you never wish to drive a cab again, or would you drive a cab in Boston or perhaps Quincy, at least part-time? Or is it all part of a lifestyle change, where you can't, and don't wish to, drive a cab again...and will employ your other skills for future income?

Old 01-12-2016, 05:51 AM

Seems you need to move very quickly? You mentioned the South Shore as an option, but it seems that central Massachusetts is your ideal. But if you can afford an apartment in Lynn, maybe Quincy or Weymouth could work out; they'll likely be much costlier but perhaps still reasonable for you for now...until you can reassess, since you're in need of moving soon.

At least Quincy is near the Blue Hills for your recreation.

Would you consider renting a room in those areas? Maybe only a six-month commitment until you're ready to re-assess your situation.

I'm unclear if you wish to move now to your forever place...and to the place you can afford to buy...or is renting an apartment, room or even roommates acceptable for a few years as you save and re-assess? As you said, without a job, you won't easily get a house for now, anyway.

Do you never wish to drive a cab again, or would you drive a cab in Boston or perhaps Quincy, at least part-time? Or is it all part of a lifestyle change, where you can't, and don't wish to, drive a cab again...and will employ your other skills for future income?

Old 01-12-2016, 12:36 PM

Thank you for your concern and ideas buddy, much appreciated!

Quincy is surprisingly one of the few places I have spent very little time in, around this area, despite driving a cab for a few years. I would rather move to a place with the potential for me to stay long term and eventually buy a house, not sure if Quincy would qualify in terms of affordability for one.

The blue hills are "okay" but are you aware of the gay problem there? Last time I was there (first and last) I wandered about and observed quite a few gay men openly soliciting each other. IN FACT, one guy seemed to be following and observing me for a bit, when I uttered something I can't repeat here with a veiled threat (questioning why I'm being followed within earshot), the following immediately stopped. Not that I felt threatened lol but it was not a pleasant experience. You can read about the problem on the internet with google search, as I did after my incident, it's a big problem there.

I may continue driving, but driving so many hours I put on a lil weight, not a ton but enough to know that's it's from so many hours sitting in the car. So I'm looking to possibly work doing something where I'm at least on my feet more if not moving around, at least for awhile, then I may go back to hacking (without a computer that is).

Thank you for the ideas though, maybe I shouldn't be completely writing off the south-shore as I have, I do like the people's disposition slightly better than the north shore, seems a bit more laid back down there not sure about Quincy as I haven't spent much time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post

Seems you need to move very quickly? You mentioned the South Shore as an option, but it seems that central Massachusetts is your ideal. But if you can afford an apartment in Lynn, maybe Quincy or Weymouth could work out; they'll likely be much costlier but perhaps still reasonable for you for now...until you can reassess, since you're in need of moving soon.

At least Quincy is near the Blue Hills for your recreation.

Old 01-12-2016, 01:05 PM

23,087 posts, read 18,228,806 times
Have you considered Clinton? Safe town, good local comfort food LOL. Cheaper rents than most anywhere in Eastern Mass., yet still easy access to jobs in Worcester or the 495 corridor/Framingham, etc. Nice scenery with the Wachusett Reservoir/watershed and other smaller lakes/ponds nearby. Might be a good compromise.

Old 01-12-2016, 01:10 PM

Thanks for the vote on Clinton. It's funny you say that, just last night I was up researching apartments in exactly that location, as well as checking out streets on google maps and I concur with your statements and advice. Some places are a bit cheaper in that area, but perhaps Clinton is a bit safer than say Fitchburg/Lemontown or Worcester. Thanks for the vote on Clinton (not Hillary).

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Have you considered Clinton? Safe town, good local comfort food LOL. Cheaper rents than most anywhere in Eastern Mass., yet still easy access to jobs in Worcester or the 495 corridor/Framingham, etc. Nice scenery with the Wachusett Reservoir/watershed and other smaller lakes/ponds nearby. Might be a good compromise.

Old 01-12-2016, 01:12 PM

23,087 posts, read 18,228,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notsobkcuf View Post
Thanks for the vote on Clinton. It's funny you say that, just last night I was up researching apartments in exactly that location, as well as checking out streets on google maps and I concur with your statements and advice. Some places are a bit cheaper in that area, but perhaps Clinton is a bit safer than say Fitchburg/Lemontown or Worcester. Thanks for the vote on Clinton (not Hillary).
No problem! Yes it's a smaller closer-knit community, and therefore safer in general than those other places. Now that we're on it, check Ayer as well.

Old 01-13-2016, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
If recommending Clinton, would Marlborough be an option for him? What little I've seen seems okay. Lots of Brazilians moving there in the past 10 plus years?

They have had some older, cheap condos converted from apartments. Saw them on realtor.com a couple years back. Not sure if the OP would be okay with those, or if he is really focused on a house only.

Old 01-13-2016, 07:04 AM

33 posts, read 51,894 times
Clinton is a good bet. Is the Strand Movie Theatre still there? I used to love going to watch movies there while having a Guinness and a burger but that was 10+ years ago.

Ayer has some very inexpensive rentals downtown, right by the train station in a surprisingly "walkable" center, though sadly -- a good nearby supermarket doesn't look like it is coming anytime soon. (The old Victory/Hanneford is back open, but it is not a Market Basket destination store.) A few people on this board tend to think Ayer is a drug-infested crime-haven, but I think it would be safer than Fitchburg.

Old 01-13-2016, 07:13 AM

3,268 posts, read 3,299,873 times
weymouth or abington? I imagine there must be cheap rents there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts