Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2016, 09:37 AM

80 posts, read 78,571 times

Advertisements

I agree with Scituate. I lived in Hingham for a few years and totally get what you mean. North shore towns that are great - Swampscott, Marblehead and Ipswich.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2016, 11:32 AM

70 posts, read 112,863 times
Default Ipswich - Not so expensive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scitu8 View Post
I agree with Scituate. I lived in Hingham for a few years and totally get what you mean. North shore towns that are great - Swampscott, Marblehead and Ipswich.
I rather feel like the velveteen rabbit amongst the Madame Alexander dolls. I could put on the pretty dress but the ears and nose would be a dead giveaway that I'm not really one of them! The difference, however, is inside, not outside.

Do you have any idea why Ipswich house pricing is so low? It's like half the price of Hingham. I noticed there are a lot of foreclosures there. Did a large company leave the area or something?

Old 01-14-2016, 11:48 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,812,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hingham-x View Post
I rather feel like the velveteen rabbit amongst the Madame Alexander dolls. I could put on the pretty dress but the ears and nose would be a dead giveaway that I'm not really one of them! The difference, however, is inside, not outside.

Do you have any idea why Ipswich house pricing is so low? It's like half the price of Hingham. I noticed there are a lot of foreclosures there. Did a large company leave the area or something?
2 main reasons: it's a lot further from Boston and the schools aren't as good. Also, are you comparing apples to apples? Ipswitch has many older homes on tiny lots in town by the train station, which tend to be cheaper than homes on regular-sized 1/2 acre lots.

Old 01-14-2016, 01:19 PM

257 posts, read 258,003 times
I think it would be a mistake to leave. In H-town you get the opportunity to be the unique faux-social justice warrior amongst the garish bourgeoisie Hinghamites. Moving to a place with legitimate liberals might reveal you to be what you claim to hate most - one of us!

Old 01-14-2016, 01:44 PM

5,792 posts, read 5,107,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southshorebound View Post
I think it would be a mistake to leave. In H-town you get the opportunity to be the unique faux-social justice warrior amongst the garish bourgeoisie Hinghamites. Moving to a place with legitimate liberals might reveal you to be what you claim to hate most - one of us!
My sentiments exactly. I really don't understand why the OP wants to leave, given what she has already revealed about herself. My gut says something is amiss.

Old 01-14-2016, 02:00 PM

344 posts, read 336,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
My sentiments exactly. I really don't understand why the OP wants to leave, given what she has already revealed about herself. My gut says something is amiss.
My gut said something was amiss when they claimed to be working class folk and in the very same post list 1 million dollar homes they were looking at.

Old 01-15-2016, 09:28 AM

204 posts, read 286,479 times
I agree there’s an element of “keeping up” in every affluent town, but there’s a marked difference in how that manifests itself and I think some would fit OP better than others.

In places like Concord, Lincoln, or Lexington people are less likely to emphasize the “conspicuous” side of conspicuous consumption (live in an older house, drive 10-year-old cars, wear normal clothes) and are more likely to spend their money on education- or experience- related things: tutors, special camps, adventure trips, foreign aid trips or Habitat for Humanity, supporting music and the arts, top-of-the-line equipment or lessons for private hobbies and interests. It would still be tough on a middle class or working class person who felt like they couldn’t keep up with all that (part of why I chose Waltham, besides just plain affordability), but there’s a clear difference in the values driving it. Volunteering is common. Introverted, nerdy, and green would fit right in there. I’ve also found acceptance of differences to be a strong value in those towns, at least differences you’re born with. They can be a little intolerant of certain mindsets and sometimes geographically snobby.

Belmont is a more of a mix – there is a flashy, snobby crowd, but also a crowd that leans crunchier and nerdier. This was 20 years ago but I remember the high school cliques being pretty loose, and clothes and material possessions not having much to do with popularity.

I don’t know Marblehead personally, but that sounds like a good fit. I’ll also throw Acton out there – there are parts of Acton that are absolutely gorgeous, though I’d say Concord still wins in the "pretty" department. Acton people also tend nerdy/green but are more laid back and down-to-earth, and less wealthy than in those other towns. It might be more than an hour away in rush hour though. I’ve also found parts of Beverly to be very pretty and with a good socioeconomic mix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
She also mentioned FB posts that are obnoxious. I wonder if in general FB posts have made people more aware of what someone is really like. I've heard that people can get depressed reading FB posts about other people's lives because they then feel like their lives arent as full.
Agreed, social media makes being obnoxious really easy. Maybe not what they're "really like" but sometimes bringing out someone's more obnoxious side. And as the saying goes, "Don't compare someone else's highlight reel to your blooper tape."

Old 01-15-2016, 09:42 AM

434 posts, read 510,636 times
I totally disagree with you about Lexington. Lexington is like Hingham on steroids, IMO.

Old 01-15-2016, 10:00 AM

404 posts, read 526,601 times
Just to clarify: acton & concord are picture perfect communities but if you are calling a town "gorgeous" then Marblehead is in a league of its own. I would honestly put marblehead natural & architectural beauty in top 5 of all MA.

Old 01-15-2016, 12:12 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,240,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jan0105 View Post
I totally disagree with you about Lexington. Lexington is like Hingham on steroids, IMO.
Not all, but some more recent arrivals scooping up those new homes on steroids. Old time Lexington is much more subdued, and less about what you own, but who you are. Same for Concord, Lincoln etc..

Since economy is very good, we are getting influx of new money and people bringing this stuff from elsewhere. But some of them learn quickly that such displays and mindset doesn't go very far here (thankfully).

I would say that OP should follow Cambridge crowd, and towns where they go after they have kids. Those are the people OP would find to be a good fit, if this is indeed what it takes OP to be happy again.

Lincoln would be great town to keep an eye on. Concord, Bedford, Arlington, Belmont and Acton would work well too. But compromise is necessary with space and condition, and what can money buy OP in those higher priced places.

Biggest question (and ultimate test) for OP if they can part with all comforts/space they can afford in Hingham?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts