Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2016, 11:46 AM

5,792 posts, read 5,107,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partial Observer View Post
No kidding, man. My wife is a bereavement counselor and works with the families of children on hospice or with severe medical problems. Her job requires a Master's degree and yearly continuing education credits and licensing fees. She makes less than $30/hour, pre-tax, with no health, retirement, or tuition benefits. I guess society has decided that she adds significantly less value than a babysitter or house cleaner, and it would take between 30 and 40 of her to equal one investment banker, law firm partner, or health care executive.

I guess that makes sense, because only a handful of wealthy people need a bereavement counselor, but every wealthy person needs a cleaning lady and child care, whether a stay-at-home parent or otherwise.

God bless America!
The tyranny of the market. This is why a master teacher of kids, our country's future, makes 1/100 or 1/1000 of what a famous NBA basketball (an athlete-entertainer) makes. American is seriously dysfunctional.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2016, 11:55 AM

344 posts, read 336,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
The tyranny of the market. This is why a master teacher of kids, our country's future, makes 1/100 or 1/1000 of what a famous NBA basketball (an athlete-entertainer) makes. American is seriously dysfunctional.
Well if teacher salaries increase, how the hell are we going to pay all those "administrators?"

Don't you understand that the bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of the expanding bureaucracy?

Old 01-19-2016, 12:02 PM

837 posts, read 1,225,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Actually, I live in Quincy and we have to have a cleaning crew here because both of us work pretty long hours and no one has the time or the energy to "clean" a big house. We pay $45/hr but the folks who do the cleaning do a great job and they do windows too (which I hate doing myself). Once they get through the place, it looks, smell and feel really clean. And we have dogs too.
We've discussed this here and there a few times for the same reason (we don't have kids either and yes, we also have dogs ) For now we're putting the money paying off bills. Once we get some wiggle room, we'll reconsider it. In the meantime I do what's possibly the bare minimum to look presentable, which includes vacuuming every day because the dogs are currently in the middle of a shedding cycle.

We have cleaning ladies in my modest neighborhood. Some are obvious from the company logo on their cars. Others are people I see every week while walking the dogs.

Old 01-19-2016, 12:29 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,323,101 times
My husband is very good at cleaning and he enjoys doing it from laundry to swiffering the floors-and he's good at it.

Old 01-19-2016, 12:31 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,697,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
My husband is very good at cleaning and he enjoys doing it from laundry to swiffering the floors-and he's good at it.
How many 24 hour shifts a week does he work? Someone who goes to work 5 days a week for 8 hours and spends another 3 hours a day commuting usually isn't as enthusiastic about cleaning.

Old 01-19-2016, 01:58 PM

837 posts, read 1,225,755 times
Quote:
You're very very lucky. Cherish him

Old 01-19-2016, 02:38 PM

He only gets 2 days off, sometimes less with the OT he does. He's a rare find. OCD probably

Old 01-19-2016, 02:51 PM

Quote:
He only gets 2 days off, sometimes less with the OT he does. He's a rare find. OCD probably
He works 100 hours a week?

Old 01-19-2016, 03:11 PM

No dm84. How many hours a week do you work since you seem to be so interested in how much my husband works? Would you like to know how many hours a week I work as well?

Old 01-19-2016, 03:15 PM

Quote:
No dm84. How many hours a week do you work since you seem to be so interested in how much my husband works? Would you like to know how many hours a week I work as well?
Technically I work 35 hours a week (lunch isn't paid).

Standard scheduling practice for firefighters in most of the country is 24 hour shifts. 5 of those a week seems abnormal to say the least.

Of course the relevance of this to me is nil. I was just pointing out that if I worked fewer days per week I'd have more time to clean (if I enjoyed doing so).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts