Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 08:20 AM

33 posts, read 117,255 times

Advertisements

Thank you all! Hey, no offense taken from the "man up" comment. I did not have a lot of time to put down all the info in the OP.

Anyway, the kids may take a while to be let themselves into the house, they are going to 2nd and 4th grade, my understanding that the 4th grade is the last for elementary in MA, so that's why I'm looking at quality of middle schools too.

I know there are good options midway just outside I-95 but we would like to at least try get something decent inside the loop on our budget, right now thinking of Arlington, Belmont, Newton, Waltham. Those are places that I can bike to Alewife in bad weather or maybe bike all the way to avoid traffic depending where we settle. Lexington looks very expensive and too far for that. I think we may be able to stretch our budget over 600, maybe 700-750 but it depends how our house sale goes here where I live now in OH. I hope that budget will give us better options, maybe I'm getting the wrong impression from my limited online house search, but there are quite a few houses in those cities inside I-95 that look very decent in the 600-700ish range, small but OK and actually have been on the market for a little while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2016, 08:54 AM

434 posts, read 510,487 times
My brother in law lives in Grafton and work sin downtown Boston and his commute is about 90 minutes each way.

I agree with Parsec that it's so important to have one parent "on the ground," working in the town (or very nearby) where the kids are in school. At one point my husband and I both commuted and it was miserable -- if a kid got sick at school/daycare, they'd have to sit in the nurses office for an hour while one of us drove home. We missed school performances, etc. because it took too much time out of our work day to attend. I spent my life feeling guilty.

Old 01-22-2016, 10:27 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,138,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nunesvetpath View Post
Thank you all! Hey, no offense taken from the "man up" comment. I did not have a lot of time to put down all the info in the OP.

Anyway, the kids may take a while to be let themselves into the house, they are going to 2nd and 4th grade, my understanding that the 4th grade is the last for elementary in MA, so that's why I'm looking at quality of middle schools too.

I know there are good options midway just outside I-95 but we would like to at least try get something decent inside the loop on our budget, right now thinking of Arlington, Belmont, Newton, Waltham. Those are places that I can bike to Alewife in bad weather or maybe bike all the way to avoid traffic depending where we settle. Lexington looks very expensive and too far for that. I think we may be able to stretch our budget over 600, maybe 700-750 but it depends how our house sale goes here where I live now in OH. I hope that budget will give us better options, maybe I'm getting the wrong impression from my limited online house search, but there are quite a few houses in those cities inside I-95 that look very decent in the 600-700ish range, small but OK and actually have been on the market for a little while.
You're thinking right.

Shrewsbury is a great town, but better suited for those working off 495, those splitting time between the teaching hospitals in Worcester/Boston (common), regional sales reps (central access to Worc, Bos, Prov, CT.), etc.

Old 01-22-2016, 10:33 AM

1,199 posts, read 638,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nunesvetpath View Post
I hope that budget will give us better options, maybe I'm getting the wrong impression from my limited online house search, but there are quite a few houses in those cities inside I-95 that look very decent in the 600-700ish range, small but OK and actually have been on the market for a little while.
"Decent" is all relative. By city-data standards, $600-700K will get you a house on the other side of the tracks, and you will be a blight on the neighborhood, dragging all the other property values down. To the other 99% of the population, "decent" would be an understatement.

Old 01-22-2016, 10:42 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partial Observer View Post
"Decent" is all relative. By city-data standards, $600-700K will get you a house on the other side of the tracks, and you will be a blight on the neighborhood, dragging all the other property values down. To the other 99% of the population, "decent" would be an understatement.

So so true, you can get a perfectly nice house in Belmont (which is convenient for commute, and has very good schools) for that or less.

Old 01-22-2016, 11:13 AM

3,688 posts, read 7,426,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
So so true, you can get a perfectly nice house in Belmont (which is convenient for commute, and has very good schools) for that or less.

Really? The MLS currently shows two single family homes for sale in Belmont for under $700K.

Old 01-22-2016, 11:22 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,810,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
Really? The MLS currently shows two single family homes for sale in Belmont for under $700K.
Where are you seeing this? My search is turning up 0 single family homes under $700k. There are a few 2 bedroom condos though.

Old 01-22-2016, 11:50 AM

33 posts, read 117,255 times
I know. The inventory for 600-700k looks inexistent right now for houses in Belmont but there are a few condos below 600K available. My guess is that it's just the low season, hopefully some options will become available in late spring when we will be active on the market.

Old 01-22-2016, 12:22 PM

434 posts, read 510,487 times
17 single family homes with three-plus bedrooms sold for $700,000 and below in the last 12 months. They were all small and needed updating, but if you can hold tight until the spring market hits, you may be able to find something.

Old 01-22-2016, 12:38 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post

A condo is a home to me. But I know plenty of people in Belmont still ( I grew up there and have family there ) and know of single homes that sold for this in town; one of a family friend which was for sale by owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
Where are you seeing this? My search is turning up 0 single family homes under $700k. There are a few 2 bedroom condos though.

And a 3 and 4 bedroom condo as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts