Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 06:31 PM

2 posts, read 2,679 times

Advertisements

I just got a new job in Worcester and am trying to move into the Central Massachusetts area. I am married with no kids, however we are expecting kids are on the way soon. Our budget is around 500 thousand, although we could go higher if needed. The towns we have looked at so far are Shrewsbury, Northborough and Westborough. Out of these towns where would you consider moving? We value strong school systems and would like to make a safe investment in a home that would hold up its value. Can you tell me more about these towns? What do you think is the hottest town of the three and why? Would you recommend any other towns within commuting range of Worcester in that budget? We would be willing to branch out, although we have heard the towns East of Worcester are the nicest. Thank you so much for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2016, 07:07 PM

1,199 posts, read 638,505 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/massa...worcester.html

Old 01-21-2016, 08:04 PM

2 posts, read 2,679 times
Thank you. Could anyone go into more detail about Shrewsbury?

Old 01-21-2016, 08:55 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,137,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newengland9897 View Post
Buy in the north side of town in a neighborhood off of 140. It has been and will remain the most desirable part of town. It also puts you on 290 with ease while avoiding the often congested center of town.

Foreign buyers in town seem to be driving the market - big sqft new builds. IMO, older well maintained homes seem to the better bargain in the north side of town and are less susceptible to "pop" if the economy heads south. Avoid the toll brothers developments off of prospect as the build quality ranges from "meh" to outright bad. The Tomailo homes are generally well built and their contractors are skilled, but these homes tend to be beyond your pricepoint.

Old 01-22-2016, 01:42 PM

344 posts, read 335,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newengland9897 View Post
My wife's parents live down in the Jordan Pond/Lake Quinsigamond area. It's alright. Some of the homes down there are dated and need work, some are on the nicer side of average. It's a decent town. Having rt. 9 cut through it can be a blessing and a curse at times though.

One thing to consider is that it will probably be built up a bit more in the coming years. The Lt. Governor is from Shrewsbury, and her dad is a big time developer in the area, I'd expect a decent amount of development.

Old 01-22-2016, 02:10 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,137,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLinderman View Post
My wife's parents live down in the Jordan Pond/Lake Quinsigamond area. It's alright. Some of the homes down there are dated and need work, some are on the nicer side of average. It's a decent town. Having rt. 9 cut through it can be a blessing and a curse at times though.
This area has been and continues to be the fringe/affordable area of town. The homes need work because they are general owned by the lower income working class residents.

General rule when buying in Shrewsbury: Avoid the homes south of rt. 9. and near the lake if budget allows. The neighborhoods north of Main St. and east of 290 represent the "prime" real estate. The quadrant north of Main St. and east of 140 is the most desirable.

Cross shop Northborough, Westborough, and consider the Wachusett towns (Sterling, Holden) if you want a smaller mortgage without compromising on school quality.

Old 01-22-2016, 02:46 PM

787 posts, read 780,515 times
Westborough has high property taxes. There, you were warned. I lived in Shrewsbury for 25 years, went through the whole school system. Now I am in a condo in Westborough.

Old 01-22-2016, 05:01 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,730,320 times
I would shy toward the east of Worcester as its location would appeal to more people come time to sell as in people considering a commute to Boston area or the 128 belt would consider it. Of the towns mentioned, Northborough and Westborough would fit. West of Worcester is only appealing to people in the Worcester area.

Old 01-22-2016, 05:41 PM

1,199 posts, read 638,505 times
Westborough has ludicrous property taxes, and many of the smaller homes are assessed above-market. If I had it to do over again, I'd have picked somewhere else.

Old 01-22-2016, 07:48 PM

344 posts, read 335,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
This area has been and continues to be the fringe/affordable area of town. The homes need work because they are general owned by the lower income working class residents.

General rule when buying in Shrewsbury: Avoid the homes south of rt. 9. and near the lake if budget allows. The neighborhoods north of Main St. and east of 290 represent the "prime" real estate. The quadrant north of Main St. and east of 140 is the most desirable.

Cross shop Northborough, Westborough, and consider the Wachusett towns (Sterling, Holden) if you want a smaller mortgage without compromising on school quality.
We're in agreement. I think I was being a little more diplomatic

There's a reason people from that area are called Lake Rats or Water Rats or whatever the heck it is.

Are you still in Shrewsbury?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts