Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 11:40 PM

339 posts, read 665,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
Yeah, with that commute Londonderry or Bedford seems like a far better option. Since you're driving at non-peak hours, your commute should be at or under an hour.
Haven't looked into Bedford. One place we are considering is Salem. Salem would be great, some homes mapquest as being 45 minutes away but everyone says Salem school systems are no good
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2016, 12:02 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,138,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins3445 View Post
Haven't looked into Bedford. One place we are considering is Salem. Salem would be great, some homes mapquest as being 45 minutes away but everyone says Salem school systems are no good
I'd steer clear of Salem if schools are the priority. Some of the better border towns are Bedford, Londonderry, Windham, New Boston, Amherst, Hollis/Brookline.

Old 01-25-2016, 12:50 PM

4,693 posts, read 3,472,283 times
We live in Townsend. As far as I know there are no plans to make it anything but a sleepy little town. It seems to be the reason most people move here.
Commuting into the city can be a nightmare. My husband has to commute into the Cambridge/Boston area frequently for work. He starts early, usually he has to be there by six am. It is still a long brutal and boring commute. One accident, slow driver, or over sleep by fifteen minutes and it can mean an extra hour or two added to your commute. It takes a good twenty minutes just to get to 495.
We have rented a house here for 5+ years. It's a nice enough little town. We will be buying in the coming year but not in Townsend. We are definitely moving closer to highway access. It's a question of quality of family life and time at this point.

Old 01-25-2016, 01:14 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,054,161 times
Work in Mass + live in NH = worst of both worlds for me.

Old 01-25-2016, 02:55 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,812,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins3445 View Post
Kenmore square, which is why at the moment Londonderry seems like our strongest contender. Straight down 93...
Do you know how long it takes to get from Kenmore Square to I-93 at 5pm? Sure it's only a couple miles, but it can take longer than your entire current commute. Then add another 80 minutes back to Londonderry once you reach I-93. Does your wife work too? Some people don't earn enough money to buy a house here and there's nothing wrong with that. Keep renting until you've gotten far enough in your career to handle a typical mortgage in this area.

The exception to that is if you could do the commute by train. Have you looked at the Worcester area? You can hop on the train to Yawkey and get things done on the train. Seriously, a 1.5 hour train ride is better than a 1.5 hour drive. You don't want to do a NH to Boston driving commute.

Old 01-25-2016, 04:32 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,225,733 times
Go with Londonderry Nh. My best friend lived in Townsend for 25 years and just managed to sell his 4000 sqaure foot home. Londonderry is nice, a quick shot to Boston and many other great place's. The taxes may be higher but a quicker selll if the market drop's.

My vote is for Londonderry! Good luck.

Old 01-25-2016, 04:47 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,807,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
Do you know how long it takes to get from Kenmore Square to I-93 at 5pm? Sure it's only a couple miles, but it can take longer than your entire current commute. Then add another 80 minutes back to
This 100%.

I work shifts but commute from Somerville to west of 495. When I left work Sunday (6:30am) it took 33 minutes according to my waze history. The ride home this morning took just under an hour.

The storm on Saturday caused my commute in (shift starts at 6:30pm) to be over an hour and it was only a few inches. If the same thing happens during the work week it can take hours. My record is 3hrs to go 30 miles during one of last year's blizzards.

Basically what it boils down for me is, if I am working on a perfectly clear weekday with no major issues my commute roughly doubles working nights. Even something tiny can screw it all up (like solar glare on rt. 2 this am ). Day shift or weekend nights is reliably 35min.

I know you would be doing a reverse commute, but it isn't always the traffic that gets you, the distance adds an incredible amount of variables. I would never do either of those commutes voluntarily. If you work an essential personnel type job I'd consider that commute to be a job liability.

Last edited by wolfgang239; 01-25-2016 at 05:04 PM..

Old 01-25-2016, 04:48 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,138,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
Do you know how long it takes to get from Kenmore Square to I-93 at 5pm? Sure it's only a couple miles, but it can take longer than your entire current commute. Then add another 80 minutes back to Londonderry once you reach I-93. Does your wife work too? Some people don't earn enough money to buy a house here and there's nothing wrong with that. Keep renting until you've gotten far enough in your career to handle a typical mortgage in this area.

The exception to that is if you could do the commute by train. Have you looked at the Worcester area? You can hop on the train to Yawkey and get things done on the train. Seriously, a 1.5 hour train ride is better than a 1.5 hour drive. You don't want to do a NH to Boston driving commute.
OP stated that he works a night shift, so 9-5 commuting times don't apply. IMO, off hours commuting from southern NH is relatively painless.

Old 01-26-2016, 07:48 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,812,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
OP stated that he works a night shift, so 9-5 commuting times don't apply. IMO, off hours commuting from southern NH is relatively painless.
Does he have to deal with the evening rush hour on his way into work or the morning rush hour on his way home though? There's no reverse commute when you drive through Boston.

Old 01-26-2016, 09:40 AM

1,025 posts, read 1,529,388 times
Townsend already had a late 20th century growth spurt from ~3,500 people to 9,000 from 1970 to 2000. I think it's actually already about done its growing. If you're looking for a rural-suburban feel, Townsend has got that, but as others have pointed out it is not at all convenient for a Boston commute. It's a convenient bedroom community to Nashua and Fitchburg-Leominster, but not the larger metro area. I don't know Londonderry but it sounds like a better bet for OP's sanity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts