Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 02:51 PM

345 posts, read 1,015,893 times

Advertisements

I would love to leave the state but am not able to at this point. One of my beefs with it here (and I've lived in every region of the US but never had this problem before) is what I've encountered as the lack of human warmth and friendliness. I've only lived in Boston and a nearby suburb. Does anyone have suggestions/experiences with towns outside of nearby Boston that you find to be friendly if you're not originally from here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2016, 06:34 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,644,887 times
There really is no town where someone stands in the grocery line or sits next to someone on the bus or sees you on your doorstep and makes instant friends. I find it comes down to common interests. How do you enjoy spending your time and what do you like doing best? Let that be your guide.

Old 01-31-2016, 06:39 PM

1,025 posts, read 1,529,388 times
Orange is "The Friendly Town", it says so on a few rotting signs as you enter this semi post apocalyptic little municipality. We have lots of cookies, and crack, and a gun shop and yes people will talk to you at the grocery store. #friendlytown

Old 01-31-2016, 08:49 PM

1,362 posts, read 873,737 times
The residents of Essex County are bathed in sunshine and rinsed with the fresh ocean tide. They only stop counting their lucky stars to take the opportunity to shake their neighbor's hand. Amazing people. Still can't drive.

Old 01-31-2016, 09:35 PM

1,529 posts, read 1,726,450 times
I've always found the south coast cities of New Bedford and Fall River to be friendly. Whenever I'm down there, people always strike up a conversation with me.

Old 02-01-2016, 04:54 AM

816 posts, read 994,603 times
Thats a borderline oxymoron. I wish I could be of more help, but no town east of 495 jumps out at me as being "friendlier" than any other town. I have limited exposure to towns west of 495. Maybe around the Berkshires?

Old 02-01-2016, 04:58 PM

187 posts, read 217,333 times
Stow is the best town I've ever lived in. I made friends with neighbors, and a women at a store (in Acton) told me she wanted to help me bring bags to my car (I didn't even ask for help!), and she also lives in Stow! I'm in a great neighborhood, I feel lucky to live in a friendly community!

Old 02-01-2016, 09:56 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Metro-Boston is like any other northeastern city. Congested. High pressure. Fast pace. You need to get well beyond Route 128 to have the pace slow down.

Old 02-02-2016, 06:55 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
I tend to rate a town based on two factors.

How readily driver's stop to let pedestrians cross the road, and how readily said pedestrians offer up a thank you vs a death stare when you stop to let them cross.

There are towns where I've stood on the side of road with toddler in hand and 50 cars went by without stopping, and there are towns where traffic comes to a screeching halt if I even look at the street. What I've found, personally, is the more affluent the town, the nicer people tend to be with that regard

Old 02-02-2016, 07:04 AM

9 posts, read 7,108 times
Default not better in the burbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConceivedinKY51 View Post
I would love to leave the state but am not able to at this point. One of my beefs with it here (and I've lived in every region of the US but never had this problem before) is what I've encountered as the lack of human warmth and friendliness. I've only lived in Boston and a nearby suburb. Does anyone have suggestions/experiences with towns outside of nearby Boston that you find to be friendly if you're not originally from here?
I was born and raised in the Chicago suburbs. I've lived in Toledo, Santa Barbara, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, and now Boston (we're in metro west burbs). We have exactly the same beef. I never really realized how "friendly" people were in other places (all of them) until I lived here for a year. It's regional culture, and culture takes generations to change. Maybe all of the old money makes the culture stagnant since people don't have any need to leave to go elsewhere to find jobs?; otherwise, I don't see how this happens considering the influx of tech workers from other places. Don't expect any difference in Metro west.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts