Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2016, 06:41 PM

434 posts, read 505,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
Why all the angst about buying into a town with good public schools anyways? It seems like it might be a better option to buy in a cheaper town and then send your kids to a school like BB&N, Windsor, St Sebs, etc. I am tired just reading posts about people obsessing about which towns to move to based on the public schools. If someone has that much energy for this, they should save their money for a private school. This trying to move to the best town in this real estate market doesnt seem worth it.
Spending $30,000 a year on private school vs putting that $30,000 towards my mortgage? No question which I'd rather do.

Last edited by jan0105; 02-12-2016 at 06:42 PM.. Reason: Typos grrrr
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2016, 07:03 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,298,137 times
Default Re

Ok but realize it's not everyone else's preference. Some people would prefer to buy in a place like roslindale, quincy, hyde park or dorchester and then send their kids to a private school grades 6 to 12 over spending a million dollars on a house in Wellesley, weston or winchester. Chances are the kid who goes to roxbury latin or milton academy will get into a better college than the kid who goes to winchester or Wellesley high. Feel free to argue with that though. I know someone will.

Plenty of people that live in this rich high end towns still send their kids to elite private schools because they're simply better academically.

Old 02-12-2016, 07:23 PM

434 posts, read 505,939 times
I don't think anyone here is arguing that point? Of course it's some people's preference.

Old 02-12-2016, 07:29 PM

188 posts, read 280,367 times
Quote:
Ok but realize it's not everyone else's preference. Some people would prefer to buy in a place like roslindale, quincy, hyde park or dorchester and then send their kids to a private school grades 6 to 12 over spending a million dollars on a house in Wellesley, weston or winchester. Chances are the kid who goes to roxbury latin or milton academy will get into a better college than the kid who goes to winchester or Wellesley high. Feel free to argue with that though. I know someone will.

Plenty of people that live in this rich high end towns still send their kids to elite private schools because they're simply better academically.
I cannot agree more.
I just want to add that the average test scores of private schools are way-way higher than any public school district, including Lexington etc...
I actually had asked this question in the forum in a previous thread (buy in a good school district vs. buying a house in a not so great school district + private school) and basically, many people said that buying a house is a better investment for retirement etc...
I think that if the top priority is the best school system, going in a private school is the best choice.

Old 02-12-2016, 07:54 PM

559 posts, read 745,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NS-GR View Post
I cannot agree more.
I just want to add that the average test scores of private schools are way-way higher than any public school district, including Lexington etc...
I actually had asked this question in the forum in a previous thread (buy in a good school district vs. buying a house in a not so great school district + private school) and basically, many people said that buying a house is a better investment for retirement etc...
I think that if the top priority is the best school system, going in a private school is the best choice.
Be clear.... are you talking the top tier private schools (ISL etc.) or just any catholic school? the top tier are hard to get into whereas my kid would have a right to go to Lexington Public (for instance) just because I live there.

obviously if I can send my kid to BB&N vs a top public I would pick BB&N. but I have to hope they can get into that school. why take the chance when I can guarantee a great public?

Old 02-12-2016, 07:58 PM

Default Re

And people look at these public school lists to see who went to an ivy league or top school. The kids who go to these schools are at the top of their class. Obviously not all kids will be at the top of their class but I guess some foolish people assume their kids will be? It just seems presumptuous and elitist to think that just because you move to a pricey town with a good school system when your kid is 6 that they will get into a top college. You have no idea what kind of student they will be by then. They could have learning issues, maybe they won't put in the effort, etc. You can't expect they will go to an ivy league or even BU just because you move to Newton.

Last edited by Whatsnext75; 02-12-2016 at 07:59 PM.. Reason: Added

Old 02-12-2016, 08:09 PM

559 posts, read 745,285 times
Quote:
And people look at these public school lists to see who went to an ivy league or top school. The kids who go to these schools are at the top of their class. Obviously not all kids will be at the top of their class but I guess some foolish people assume their kids will be? It just seems presumptuous and elitist to think that just because you move to a pricey town with a good school system when your kid is 6 that they will get into a top college. You have no idea what kind of student they will be by then. They could have learning issues, maybe they won't put in the effort, etc. You can't expect they will go to an ivy league or even BU just because you move to Newton.
I bolded the key word there. you guess. no one said they just because they assume that they move their that presto their kids to go ivy league schools. or at least no one I know of. so no need for the rant about elitist and presumptuousness. you are making assumptions.

How do you not get it? people don't know.....but if they feel that going to one of these "better" districts gives there kids a leg up they will do it. notice I said a leg up and not a golden ticket. this isn't Willy Wonka's factory.

that is their prerogative just like its someone else's to move to Somerville, Rossy, or anywhere else. its not a difficult concept. people move where they want based upon what they value and what they think it provides them.

your posts honestly feel like you are angry about something else and lashing out. sorry.

Old 02-12-2016, 08:09 PM

Default Re

'obviously if I can send my kid to BB&N vs a top public I would pick BB&N. but I have to hope they can get into that school. why take the chance when I can guarantee a great public?'

This is also true but people also run the risk of buying a very expensive house mainly for the school system hoping their kid will get into an ivy or Stanford and then they don't.

Old 02-12-2016, 08:15 PM

Default Re

Nope i'm not angry but it DOES seem like people on this board think buying into a top town IS their ticket into an ivy league school for their kid and it gets annoying reading it all the time. It is not a guarantee. And then yes many do think they're better and more privileged then people who don't live in these towns.

Old 02-12-2016, 11:25 PM

23,058 posts, read 18,187,880 times
Quote:
Nope i'm not angry but it DOES seem like people on this board think buying into a top town IS their ticket into an ivy league school for their kid and it gets annoying reading it all the time. It is not a guarantee. And then yes many do think they're better and more privileged then people who don't live in these towns.
It seems most of the people who are obsessed with this come from outside Mass. originally. Perhaps they come from places where an "average" or even a "B" school system is inadequate, not realizing that in MA the standards are much higher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts