Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 01:03 PM

14,183 posts, read 14,539,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
And I'm saying I do not like arlington and I think it's a rip off. Someone might find that useful seeing how I've lived here my whole life.
Tough love here but what you seem to be is an "old timer" whose outlook and income has not kept up with the times. You have been priced out of your hometown (I have many old friends in MA that are in the same boat) but the bottom line is whose fault is that?

I was born and brought up in Waltham. I knew Arlington quite well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2016, 01:27 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,298,137 times
Default Re

I can't afford a million dollar home in Arlington but I could find something if i really wanted to live there. There are a few things I've seen in the 500k range. But yeah I guess at 36 I am an old timer who is going to be baffled by some of the prices I see in towns that don't seem all that to me. It's new comers to boston who seem easily swayed into purchasing there and other like places.

A girl I work with spent 800k on place in JP. She is sharing a house with someone else. That I don't understand....but it's people like her who are keeping prices high and making it so only the wealthy can afford to live around here.

It's also not like I'm some local townie bum who is broke either. I have a masters, a good job, my husband and make over 200k together and yes I'm still suprised by the prices around here.

It's also irritating that so many of the homes in the area are not just overpriced but they are ugly and outdated.

There's another thread going on about hingham. Thats a town that is worth spending money for. Not a piece of crap place like arlington or now apparently even medford.

Last edited by Whatsnext75; 02-06-2016 at 01:33 PM.. Reason: Added

Old 02-06-2016, 01:37 PM

434 posts, read 505,939 times
I've lived here my whole life and love Arlington. -shrug-

Old 02-06-2016, 01:39 PM

Default Re

There was also an article on boston.com today saying how Condo prices in revere and Dorchester have soared. For anyone who grew up in the area I'm sure we never expected to see these places becoming desirable places to live but here we are. But this is what people are doing to avoid prices that will get you what you get in Arlington.

For the record I also own a condo in southie. I'd say that's another sign that my income has kept up with times just fine. And yes I still think arlington is a crappy place to spend a million bucks.

Old 02-06-2016, 01:40 PM

Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan0105 View Post
I've lived here my whole life and love Arlington. -shrug-
Uh I thought you lived in hingham.

Old 02-06-2016, 02:05 PM

6,514 posts, read 6,656,536 times
Quote:
There was also an article on boston.com today saying how Condo prices in revere and Dorchester have soared. For anyone who grew up in the area I'm sure we never expected to see these places becoming desirable places to live but here we are. But this is what people are doing to avoid prices that will get you what you get in Arlington.

For the record I also own a condo in southie. I'd say that's another sign that my income has kept up with times just fine. And yes I still think arlington is a crappy place to spend a million bucks.
New construction in Arlington is running about 1.2 million to 1.4 million for single family homes, so you are a little behind the times Arlington is not the town it once was, period. It has outstanding schools, a great location & I would match sections of Morningside & Jason Heights with any tony suburb in the greater Boston area. I can see disliking a town, city, or whatever, but your animus concerning Arlington seems odd, and personal, but hey....different strokes for different folks & all of that.

Old 02-06-2016, 02:09 PM

Right many towns/cities around here are not the places they once were.

Just because one complains about the price of something doesn't mean they cant afford it though. I'm sure we've all complained about the price of gas or milk a one point that doesn't mean we couldn't afford it.

I also think Somerville is overpriced. GO ahead, tell me how wrong I am and argue with me

Old 02-06-2016, 02:16 PM

6,514 posts, read 6,656,536 times
Quote:
Right many towns/cities around here are not the places they once were.

Just because one complains about the price of something doesn't mean they cant afford it though. I'm sure we've all complained about the price of gas or milk a one point that doesn't mean we couldn't afford it.

I also think Somerville is overpriced. GO ahead, tell me how wrong I am and argue with me
BTW, I like most of your posts, in general. I've just noticed Arlington really seems to set you off

Old 02-06-2016, 02:18 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,217,127 times
Quote:
I can't afford a million dollar home in Arlington but I could find something if i really wanted to live there. There are a few things I've seen in the 500k range. But yeah I guess at 36 I am an old timer who is going to be baffled by some of the prices I see in towns that don't seem all that to me. It's new comers to boston who seem easily swayed into purchasing there and other like places.

A girl I work with spent 800k on place in JP. She is sharing a house with someone else. That I don't understand....but it's people like her who are keeping prices high and making it so only the wealthy can afford to live around here.

It's also not like I'm some local townie bum who is broke either. I have a masters, a good job, my husband and make over 200k together and yes I'm still suprised by the prices around here. I don't think I'm the only one. It is what it is.
There is no reason to be surprised by prices. Boston is not invisible in the US or on a global market, and honestly if anyone, locals should be raking in RE profits like crazy right now (some do). But if you think small and have all sorts of hung-ups about this or that.... Then there is nothing much but self-fulfilling prophecy.

I am happy we attract smart, hardworking people, and even better that they are capable earners. Not one of these people is buying a home to be inflating prices for the rest, or lock out sometimes remarkably slow to "wake up and smell the coffee" locals out of RE (most agents and developers are locally born talent fighting for every dollar they can squeeze out of every transaction).

With all the opportunities, schools, different industries, low crime, why on earth would this area be or stay cheap like 40 years ago?

In the end, what you personally think about RE prices as a local, and what people are willing to pay is beside the point. RE market can care less about any of our opinions or your specific "local" stamp of approval.

You might look back later on, and realize that you have missed on some good opportunities because of your attitude and prejudices about towns, and homes offered for sale.

Good luck.

Old 02-06-2016, 02:20 PM

Default Re

Maybe arlington is just the last straw for me in watching towns and sections of the city appreciate. It also gets annoying seeing people here talk about how great all these places are when I'm thinking no really they're not that great, and you are an idiot for thinking they are! Lol. Ok I'll stop.

I'm not saying arlington is awful...but to me it seems waay overpriced. It ain't newton, it ain't chesnut hill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts