Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 06:31 AM

875 posts, read 662,987 times

Advertisements

Avalon is one option - they have a bunch of apartment buildings throughout the state and do shorter lease options (site specific) than a standard 12 month. It will cost you though. Im sure there are others that are like this.

Apartments for Rent in Massachusetts, Massachusetts Apartment

As to your original question, I would not have a problem showing the lease at time of filing application but I have never been asked for it. Most private landlords use the standard MA lease that you can find on line - I add a rider that expands on a few things (pet policy, renewal date, sublet policy etc etc). Tenants read/review just prior to signing - have never had an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2016, 07:36 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,238,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston_Burbs View Post
I had this same issue but I'll be honest, I wanted to read the lease to see what the terms were for breaking it if I found a house.

I was able to find a large complex in Salem that only had a two month rent fee to break the lease and you did not have to find a new renter. I was able to negotiate it down to 1 month because I moved out fast so they could rent it for September 1. I just asked them up front in the walk through if I could get out of the lease if we bought a house and they gave an honest answer. Pm me if you want the name.

Oh and we closed on our house in less than 30 days, it was appealing to the seller because they had already moved and we did not have any contingency besides mortgage. Piece of advice on that, you need to use a mortgage company that your realtor knows, it moved things along a lot quicker.
VA loans do not allow for inspection waver as I understand it. I think they even demand that seller repairs ASAP things that they do not approve of specifically, and it is fair to say that OP will have some obstacles to overcome.

I am very curious how low budget, strict VA loan conditions, and OP wish for updated home, all come together in the end. Hopefully OP gets a lucky break.

Old 02-11-2016, 07:34 PM

339 posts, read 664,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingeorge View Post
VA loans do not allow for inspection waver as I understand it. I think they even demand that seller repairs ASAP things that they do not approve of specifically, and it is fair to say that OP will have some obstacles to overcome.

I am very curious how low budget, strict VA loan conditions, and OP wish for updated home, all come together in the end. Hopefully OP gets a lucky break.
Thanks man me too.

Old 02-11-2016, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
Most leases here are really nothing special. Google "Massachusetts form lease."

No deposit is put down until you sign the lease... If you think you can negotiate the terms of a lease then you're seriously mistaken. It won't happen in this area. If you find a place you like and you don't want to pay the application fee without seeing the lease then you will be viewed as a nuisance by the realtor/landlord. They don't care because someone who won't cause them as much aggravation is waiting behind you.
Do you have specific info that no deposit is allowed until a lease is signed? I called about a dozen places and they all charge "holding deposits"

I should add that I finally found a place that will work for our family. Of course I don't bring up the holding fee being illegal or anything as we need a place to move into. They told me if we cancel within 72 hours we get it back and if we are approved it goes towards our move in costs (security deposit and first months rent)

So if I move in, they're applying it towards what I'd pay for a security deposit.. So I don't think I can even turn around and say "you shouldn't have charged me that holding deposit, I'm withholding it from my rent" (should we move in) because then I'd be owing $250 for security deposit..

I am wondering how the heck anyone rents an apartment around here. If you make a stink about illegal practices they won't rent to you.

Last edited by Bruins3445; 02-11-2016 at 07:46 PM..

Old 02-11-2016, 07:42 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,693,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins3445 View Post
Do you have specific info that no deposit is allowed until a lease is signed? I called about a dozen places and they all charge "holding deposits"
Let me clarify- they are "allowed" to ask you for a "holding deposit" but you aren't obligated to put money down until lease signing and they can't collect more than first, last, security and fee at lease signing, so if they're asking you for money before lease signing it has to be refunded or go towards fist, last, security and fee.

I've never encountered the sort of behavior you're describing but maybe things have changed. I suggest reading this site which spells things out pretty well and seems to support the idea that a holding fee may not be ok. I'll say this though - if you call out a prospective landlord as doing something illegal you can expect them to find a reason to reject you.

Old 02-11-2016, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
Let me clarify- they are "allowed" to ask you for a "holding deposit" but you aren't obligated to put money down until lease signing and they can't collect more than first, last, security and fee at lease signing, so if they're asking you for money before lease signing it has to be refunded or go towards fist, last, security and fee.

I've never encountered the sort of behavior you're describing but maybe things have changed. I suggest reading this site which spells things out pretty well and seems to support the idea that a holding fee may not be ok. I'll say this though - if you call out a prospective landlord as doing something illegal you can expect them to find a reason to reject you.
Thanks. And yea I agree which is why I never said anything. To be honest our goal is to by a home so we aren't going to be picky. Just want to get to MA, get settled, buy a home. So ruffling feathers isn't on our radar
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts