U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2008, 02:34 PM

65 posts, read 365,667 times

Advertisements

Which would you choose and why?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2008, 03:29 PM

5,835 posts, read 4,732,494 times
Everyone's needs are different such as being single or having a young family, income, drive to work, rent or buy, urbanish or suburban. I lived in Lexington with my family and although pretty with an amazing rec center for Lexington residence, I found it too unstimulating. Might have moved to Arlington if they didn't have a dog restriction.

Old 02-10-2008, 03:36 AM

17,509 posts, read 30,749,247 times
What's the dog restriction?

Offhand, I'd say that Lexington is much, much more expensive. I'm not sure if there is a less-expensive side of town there. Supposedly, city services, like parks and library, are superb.
Arlington has more of an income mix, and is not as upscale overall. I really like East Arlington, with the restaurants, and access to the train, Rt. 2, and Cambridge.
Low crime (and low car insurance) for both.

Old 02-10-2008, 06:24 AM

212 posts, read 916,559 times
Lexington is a dynamic town, with activities for all ages. If you have kids, there are lots of arts/sports/music opportunities; if you're an active family, there is the bike path; if you're into church, there are plenty of churches; if you're into politics and 'volunteering, there are lots of opportunities to join committees and become active. There is also a nice Arts and Crafts society which offers classes.

The schools are terrific and there is a lot of parent participation. The down-side is the cost of housing. But, you can still buy a small house for $400,000. It will be on the less-desirable side of town, but many people buy a small house and trade up after a couple of years. I would say it's one of the best towns.

It is close to highways and the T service is good. There is an in-town bus that runs through the neighborhoods.

Arlington is a nice town and is very convenient. The schools are good. There is an active town center with lots of restaurants.

Hey - no town is perfect - you will find happiness where you make it. Good luck!

Old 02-10-2008, 06:28 AM

65 posts, read 365,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airedaly View Post
Hey - no town is perfect - you will find happiness where you make it. Good luck!
Very good point, I'm trying to remember this as we navigate through the crazy process of home buying!

Old 02-10-2008, 03:43 PM

5,835 posts, read 4,732,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
What's the dog restriction?

Offhand, I'd say that Lexington is much, much more expensive. I'm not sure if there is a less-expensive side of town there. Supposedly, city services, like parks and library, are superb.
Arlington has more of an income mix, and is not as upscale overall. I really like East Arlington, with the restaurants, and access to the train, Rt. 2, and Cambridge.
Low crime (and low car insurance) for both.
The dog restriction would only affect those with more than three dogs like me..so not a problem for 99.9%.

Old 02-10-2008, 11:03 PM

287 posts, read 982,939 times
They both have their pros and cons.

Lexington (as mentioned) is more upscale. Homes are larger, the population isn't nearly as dense as Arlington. Lexington Center is very nice. The schools are very good, especially if you're a very high performing student or in special education. Public transit is kinda meh, but does exist. Housing is extremely expensive. Neither town is particularly diverse, but Lexington is the more diverse of the two. There's a very strong Jewish community.

Arlington is cheaper. Schools are good, but not as good as Lexington, especially special education. Public transit reaches much more of Arlington (granted there's much less to reach since Arlington is 1/3rd the size) and it's much more frequent than in Lexington. It's more conveniently located to Boston, Cambridge, and Somerville by car or public transit. There's more of a variety of housing. Arlington is a dry town, so there are no bars or liquor stores, but seriously it's 5 sq miles and the first store over every border (that allows it) is a liquor store. Fortunately they do allow most of the restaurants now to get liquor licenses. And whole we're on the subject of restaurants, there's a whole crapload, and they're of generally decent quality.

For towns that are right next to eachother they do actually offer pretty different lifestyles and I don't think you could go wrong with either one. Overall I like Arlington better, but since it is my hometown I'm not exactly unbiased here.

Old 02-11-2008, 01:53 PM

7,339 posts, read 9,869,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedripeplum View Post
They both have their pros and cons.

Lexington (as mentioned) is more upscale. Homes are larger, the population isn't nearly as dense as Arlington. Lexington Center is very nice. The schools are very good, especially if you're a very high performing student or in special education. Public transit is kinda meh, but does exist. Housing is extremely expensive. Neither town is particularly diverse, but Lexington is the more diverse of the two. There's a very strong Jewish community.

Arlington is cheaper. Schools are good, but not as good as Lexington, especially special education. Public transit reaches much more of Arlington (granted there's much less to reach since Arlington is 1/3rd the size) and it's much more frequent than in Lexington. It's more conveniently located to Boston, Cambridge, and Somerville by car or public transit. There's more of a variety of housing. Arlington is a dry town, so there are no bars or liquor stores, but seriously it's 5 sq miles and the first store over every border (that allows it) is a liquor store. Fortunately they do allow most of the restaurants now to get liquor licenses. And whole we're on the subject of restaurants, there's a whole crapload, and they're of generally decent quality.

For towns that are right next to eachother they do actually offer pretty different lifestyles and I don't think you could go wrong with either one. Overall I like Arlington better, but since it is my hometown I'm not exactly unbiased here.
I have to disagree with Lexington being the more diverse of the two towns. Not even close, in my opinion. Arlington is a much more dynamic town and has less attitude. I like Lexington, but it's not a diverse town at all, in terms of class strata or racial/culture make-up. And, as I alluded to, the snob factor is a major drawback. Lexington, however, does have better middle and high schools. The elementary schools in Arlington are very good. Brackett (in Arlington) is the top-performing elementary school in the state, actually, but those things change over time.

Old 02-11-2008, 04:15 PM

287 posts, read 982,939 times
As far as pure racial makeup percentages, Lexington is more diverse, mainly it has a larger Asian community. Socioeconomically it's way less diverse than Arlington, I don't think you can find anyone to dispute that. It's nice that Brackett does so well, but Arlington has other elementary schools so it can't be judged just based on that. I'm not trying to talk smack about Arlington public schools, I did attend them for 12 years and received a great education.

Old 04-10-2008, 03:51 PM

90 posts, read 129,359 times
i would choose Lexington hands down over Arlington. Arlington has some interesting restaurants and I love the Arlington Capitol theatre but I can go to those anytime since I live in Cambridge close by and anyone in Lexington could driver there as well. Arlington is too hodge podge for me and not very pretty. It just isn't that pretty and the housing stock isn't so hot.

I think that Lexington feels so much cleaner and prettier yet still has the vibrant center, the gorgeous homes, and the awesome public schools.

Arlington schools are not, not good. They are so-so at best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts