Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 02:54 PM

48 posts, read 53,821 times

Advertisements

...have restaurants, ice cream, rides, or other things to do right on the beach? Looking for cool places to take the family including two young kids. Willing to go from RI to as far north as OOB. I grew up going to the Jersey Shore (Ocean City) so I guess I'm looking for something similar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2016, 04:34 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,718,917 times
Interesting you should ask this, as I was just thinking about this very issue today. We just moved from PA, and my kids LOVE (okay, I do, too) OCNJ. As I was driving around, I was wondering where I could go with them for a daytrip or overnight this summer. For my younger son, nothing is going to replace Gillian's, but if I could come even remotely close, he just might be content enough.

Unfortunately, I have no advice, but I definitely want to follow the thread.

Old 03-08-2016, 07:17 PM

23,556 posts, read 18,651,084 times
Nantasket, Salisbury, Newport RI (1st Beach) would be some others. But really, Hampton would be your best bet.

Old 03-08-2016, 07:32 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,941,024 times
In Maine, OOB or maybe York would be best-something for everybody. Lots of little shops, arcades, etc. There are a couple choices for beaches, plus you visit Nubble Light, climb on the rocks, etc (no beach right there). York's Wild Kingdom has lions & tigers & bears (oh my!) PLUS rides, go-carts & camel rides.

New Hampshire has less than 20 miles of oceanfront, and much of that is rocks. Hampton is your best bet in NH. No rides, but plenty of arcades and junk food!

North Shore of MA, Salisbury is a possibility. I think that there are still some rides, definitely a couple of arcades, but nothing like back in the day (multiple music venues, 2 separate parks with midway rides, games of chance, and a great place for kids! Now it's a little grittier, a lot quieter. However, it's worth stopping by for a couple slices of beach pizza...

Old 03-08-2016, 07:56 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,650,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
In Maine, OOB or maybe York would be best-something for everybody. Lots of little shops, arcades, etc. There are a couple choices for beaches, plus you visit Nubble Light, climb on the rocks, etc (no beach right there). York's Wild Kingdom has lions & tigers & bears (oh my!) PLUS rides, go-carts & camel rides.

New Hampshire has less than 20 miles of oceanfront, and much of that is rocks. Hampton is your best bet in NH. No rides, but plenty of arcades and junk food!

North Shore of MA, Salisbury is a possibility. I think that there are still some rides, definitely a couple of arcades, but nothing like back in the day (multiple music venues, 2 separate parks with midway rides, games of chance, and a great place for kids! Now it's a little grittier, a lot quieter. However, it's worth stopping by for a couple slices of beach pizza...
Yes, and as for Salisbury Beach, it is going through a period of transition. There are pizza and ice cream places and a nice restaurant that's right on the beach but not too much else. The beach endured major destruction due to winter storms this year but it's building itself back up. Probably someone (the state? the town?) will truck some more sand in too.

There are huge plans for Salisbury Beach--a boardwalk with shops and probably condos. They need to build restrooms because the old ones are a disgrace--I don't know if the new ones will be ready by this summer. It's a gorgeous beach but for now, I think Hampton Beach is more inviting and ready for business. Salisbury Beach is okay but it's a work in progress.

York Beach is fantastic!

Old 03-09-2016, 02:27 AM

513 posts, read 646,088 times
A more local option ( and one that is often overlooked) is Salem Willows in Salem, MA. It has a small offering of games and rides.
The nearby beach is small, but adequate. Salem Willows is definitely not as great as OOB or York. You can make a day of it by combining it with a visit to downtown Salem.
Salem Willows Park | Salem Arcade

Old 03-09-2016, 05:41 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,833,031 times
Misquamicut Beach in Westerly has a couple rides I think and is a pretty nice warmer-water beach. Ocean Beach Park in New London has lots of rides.

Old 03-09-2016, 06:28 AM

8,547 posts, read 14,010,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Nantasket, Salisbury, Newport RI (1st Beach) would be some others. But really, Hampton would be your best bet.
I'm surprised to see you say Nantasket Beach. The amusement park has been gone from there for decades (except for the carousel). There are some things bear the beach but not a ton.

Old 03-09-2016, 07:07 AM

188 posts, read 283,377 times
In Marblehead/Swampscott area: the best spot is Devereaux beach. It has a nice playground on the sand (with structures that were updated last year) and a nice small place for food/ice cream/beverages. The beach is very nice. Actually, people swim in July/August; the water temperature can reach mid-60s. There is a parking lot and bathrooms. It is worth spending few hours in that beach and a day in Marblehead.

Old 03-09-2016, 08:24 AM

12,818 posts, read 21,988,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
Misquamicut Beach in Westerly has a couple rides I think and is a pretty nice warmer-water beach. Ocean Beach Park in New London has lots of rides.
I think this is the best bet in RI given the OP's criteria. There's a waterpark as well as a small fun park (go-carts, mini golf, carousel, and some kiddie rides. Westerly has some good shopping/dining too. I've always had a soft spot for that town.

Narragansett's pretty nice too. The beach area has a few shops and restaurants. There's a small park with go-carts, bumper cars, arcade, mini-golf, etc. nearby. South Kingstown next door has a nice main street and there are a bunch of other nice places not too far away including Matunuck and Misquamicut or even Newport for an afternoon. I still think Hampton or OOB are probably the closest to the Jersey Shore beach towns though. At least for this region.

Newport, in my opinion, is the most well-rounded summer town in New England. Downtown Newport rivals larger places like Portland Maine or Burlington Vermont in terms of shopping, dining, nightlife, etc. There's even a nice old fashioned arcade for the kids. It's beautiful and fun. First beach is active and busy with an aquarium, carousel, skatepark, and a beach bar. Second Beach is still fairly busy (though there's room to spread) and in a much more natural setting. Not even a mile from First Beach. Third Beach is quieter and more serene by far. So there's something for everyone from that standpoint. Hotels and rentals range from historic homes and inns in the historic center to chain hotels in a suburban setting to typical beach motels. You can do Newport very upscale or very low-key depending on what you're interested in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts