Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 12:44 AM

63 posts, read 105,706 times

Advertisements

Hello all! I'm delighted to report that we rented a home in East Arlington that is pretty much everything we were looking for, and we move there in two weeks! We're prepared to do all the usual moving stuff (setting up internet and power/water services, etc), but I wanted to check with you, the experts, on anything specific to Massachusetts that we might overlook. For example, trash collection is a separate service that needs to be arranged, yes? Any other unique conditions like that we should know about? Any immediate recommendations for things to do or see (or eat!) once we arrive (particularly with a 3yo and newborn in tow)?

Thanks again for all the great info you have provided since we first got the brain-bug to move to the Boston area! Will be back after we're settled to report on our impressions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2016, 02:16 AM

513 posts, read 646,225 times
It looks like Arlington has weekly curbside trash pick-up. The best source is the town Web site. Town of Arlington : Recycling, Trash, Composting
Most towns also have weight limits for trash pick-up, if you exceed the weight limit, you may have to pay for extra bags.
I am not in Arlington very often, so I can't really recommend places to eat. Spy pond is great for walks and is on the bike trail (which I recommend). For the kids, I have heard great things about Robbins Farm Park.
Have fun checking out your new city and walking around! Harvard Square in Cambridge is definitely worth checking out. Go for walks around Boston. The kids will love the aquarium and the children's museum (tip: tickets are very pricy, the Arlington public library should have passes you can reserve that will get you a discount). Legoland in Somerville opened last year and has been hugely popular.
I also recommend you check out a group like the Arlington Family Connection or newcomers groups. About | Arlington Family Connection
That should keep you busy for awhile. Best of luck with the move!

Old 03-09-2016, 05:39 AM

9,874 posts, read 7,197,601 times
It looks like Arlington has mandatory curbside recycling. Here is a link to the process: http://arlingtonma.gov/home/showdocument?id=9508

If you do not put out recycling, they will not pick up your trash.

It looks like there is an Arlington Newcomers Club: Arlington Newcomers and Neighbors (Arlington, MA) - Meetup and Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/ArlingtonNewcomersandNeighbors

Good luck.

Old 03-09-2016, 06:57 AM

466 posts, read 643,446 times
You 'll need to set up oil service if not covered by your landlord and if not converted to gas. In E Arlington, I've had good experiences with Arlington Fuel Oil.

Old 03-09-2016, 11:09 AM

63 posts, read 105,706 times
You guys are the best, thank you! Those resources are really helpful! Recycling shouldn't be a problem since we're coming from California where it's basically the state religion. We're well-trained in recycling and composting.

Old 03-10-2016, 06:17 AM

6,457 posts, read 7,789,115 times
You may find that people here are more down to earth, less material, also less interesting, possibly less happy, and more logical here than in CA.

I have no advice. Just wanted to say welcome so here I go...ready? OK, deep breath:

Welcome!

How was that?

Old 03-10-2016, 06:57 AM

15 posts, read 19,020 times
Welcome to town. I'd recommend walking up and down the Minuteman bike trail from East Arlington into the Center, up to the Heights if you have the energy. Spy Pond Park, Menotomy Rocks and Robbins Farm are all great green spaces. If you have a dog, check out Thorndike Dog Park in East Arlington. Tons of interesting restaurants around the Center and Mass Ave. Catch a movie at Capital Theatre (they also have day time baby friendly matinees). Blue Ribbon BBQ is awesome. D'Agostinos is great for subs. Sono or Toraya for sushi.

Hop on the red line at Alewife and explore Davis Sq, Porter and Harvard. Tons of restaurants and bars in those squares.

With things warming up google calendars for Arlington, Somerville and Cambridge activities. Lots of family friendly festivals, outdoor movie nights and concerts on the weekends.

Old 03-10-2016, 11:17 PM

32 posts, read 27,807 times
Blue Ribbon BBQ is pretty tasty. I would recommend checking out the library too. Arlington belongs to a decent network of libraries so if they don't have none book, they can get if from another library's collection.

Old 03-11-2016, 02:25 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
As a former East Arlington resident, I can say hearty congratulations on finding a house that suits you, and I'm sure you'll be very happy with your choice!

Old 03-11-2016, 06:39 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
If you do not put out recycling, they will not pick up your trash.

Seriously?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts