Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 04:16 PM

3 posts, read 4,390 times

Advertisements

I live in Vermont and had applied to colleges I'm interested in throughout New England. I have got a acceptance letter from all these colleges and need your opinion in order to choose a college which is right for me. I did not pay a application fee when applying to these colleges because as a community college "special transfer" graduate the fee is waived so I can apply to as many colleges as I want. I will probably choose the college which gives me the best scholarships and grants but I wanted to know what you think about these colleges and their rankings. I'm majoring in Business. I would appreciate if everyone who comments on my question can give me their top 5 picks from the colleges below. Thanks for your opinions.

Roger Williams University
Salve Regina University
Springfield College
Endicott College
University of Hartford
Western New England University
Johnson and Wales University
Merrimack College
Assumption College
Quinnipiac University
Suffolk University
University of New England
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2016, 05:11 PM

193 posts, read 278,735 times
Quinnipiac is a very good school and is probably the best college on that list.

Old 03-20-2016, 03:39 AM

837 posts, read 1,225,602 times
I think there's a college ranking website somewhere where actual students rate their school. I don't remember what it's called. I think that'd help you more than here, as a good many of us (but not all) are way past college age. Just a thought.

Old 03-20-2016, 06:08 AM

536 posts, read 844,941 times
If you know your upper-division major, research the actual department in the different schools--the requirements and the teacher's qualifications and accomplishments.

Some programs will probably fit your interests more than others.

Some of these are reputed to be party schools and some have the reputation of being more study focused.

Some have "quiet dorms" and some have single-language dorms for language majors.

Research the special features of each of the schools and choose by the features you like. Location shouldn't be paramount--it's only for two years. You can party anytime--choose a quiet dorm if in other ways you like a party school.

It's a good problem to have--I hope you are happy with your choice. Go to the schools' internet sites and to the department(s) you are thinking of majoring in.

The Princeton Review used to publish ratings by the students themselves--it's probably on-line now. Time for a little research!

Edited to add: I see that Merrimac College made the "Best Regional Colleges" List on US News and World Reports. Princeton Review I guess still publishes a book, but the site solicits a lot of personal info before offering a preview, so it may be a scam. It has nothing to do with Princeton Uni--it is a testing prep business but also does publish student derived reviews.

Last edited by ladyalicemore; 03-20-2016 at 06:17 AM..

Old 03-20-2016, 07:39 AM

10,018 posts, read 15,662,194 times
US News & World Report has an annual ranking of schools. Merrimack College, Assumption, Quinnipiac and Suffolk are the best on your list. Keep in mind that if you choose Suffolk, it will be much more expensive to live in Boston.

Old 03-20-2016, 08:18 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,696,617 times
Honestly once you have your degree no one really cares where it came from. The exception being if it came from Harvard, MIT etc. If you plan to go to graduate school then it matters even less.

Old 03-20-2016, 08:48 AM

536 posts, read 844,941 times
The best schools offer the best preparation in the fields chosen. It's a matter that has nothing to do with prestige, but with educational quality.

To find a quality program is worth researching, as college should offer a strong foundation for a lifetime of futher learning.

Old 03-20-2016, 08:53 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,696,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyalicemore View Post
The best schools offer the best preparation in the fields chosen. It's a matter that has nothing to do with prestige, but with educational quality.

To find a quality program is worth researching, as college should offer a strong foundation for a lifetime of futher learning.
College gives very little in the way of job preparation in many cases. Internships and work experience while in college matter more to future employers than where you went to college unless you went to a very very prestigious school. OP should honestly just go to the school with the best aid package because there's no point in drowning yourself in extra debt for a degree that probably won't be worth any more than a cheaper degree from a school with better financial aid.

The ranking system in general is a horrible thing that props up high priced schools that offer little added value for the money spent.

Old 03-20-2016, 02:29 PM

652 posts, read 750,019 times
Ten years out of private liberal arts college (one of the ones on your list), I kinda wish I'd just gone to Umass Lowell or UNH. I really did a lot of learning on the job after work, and though I dodged the worst of the gigantic tuition increases of the past ten years, it's hard to justify owing $800 a month in debt for your whole twenties. You won't be making six figures right out of school, unless you're a pro athlete or a doctor.

Old 03-20-2016, 03:58 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,322,594 times
I think a really good school gets a resume attention but if you dont have the job experience or a good personality to back it up youre not getting the job. My dept recently hired someone who went to american international college over someone who went to harvard based on job experience. Personally i preferred the harvard grad but i was outnumbered. And i think the AIC guy has not been good, but i dont think where he went to college has anything to do with it. He just isnt a good fit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts