Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 12:21 PM

19 posts, read 19,474 times

Advertisements

Yay so we are definitely moving to Acton in June this year. We're coming from Cape Town, South Africa so I have lots of questions! (Sorry). My husband is working in Waltham and I'm a stay at home mom to a 6y old boy b and a 3y old girl. We will be renting.

Questions!
1. Can anyone recmomend a great playgroup for my 3 turning 4y old? Half day.
2. Am I right that it's 3 months rent up front? Is there anything else?
3. I see most rentals include white goods. What else is included? Curtains? Some places talk about snow removal. If this is not included do I pay someone for it or does my husband buy a shovel? 😂
4. Coming from South Africa the no fence/burglar/alarm/armed security company is scary! Do I just let the kids roam free in the back garden/neighbourhood!? Am I safeel in the house alone if my husband is travelling or do I need a security system/alarm?
5. Any car leasing company recommendations?
6. I need to order beds - a double and a bunk - online for mu kids. Any recommendations? Something basic, white wood, solid, won't cost the earth etc?

Thanks so much and apologies in advance for the next for million questions! 🙈
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2016, 01:14 PM

Sorry for typos - cat lying on my arm ��

Old 03-27-2016, 01:43 PM

161 posts, read 230,856 times
1. Acton has a 1/2 day preschool (Monday through Thursday) for 4 year olds. Their website is Preschool, and they also have list on the site of other preschools in the area.
2. This differs from place to place. Usually, they require 1st month, last month, and 1 month security deposit. You get the security deposit returned to you when you move out as long as you have not damaged the apartment.
3. This differs from place to place also. Some places include heat, which can be a big cost here. If snow removal is not included, buy a shovel.
4. Acton is a very safe town. You will be okay without an alarm system, and your children are fine playing in the yard. Just practice common sense - lock doors, etc.
5. I own my car, so I don't have any recommendations.
6. There was a recent thread here about local furniture places . Good recommendations there.

Old 03-27-2016, 02:24 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,693,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafferExpat View Post
Yay so we are definitely moving to Acton in June this year. We're coming from Cape Town, South Africa so I have lots of questions! (Sorry). My husband is working in Waltham and I'm a stay at home mom to a 6y old boy b and a 3y old girl. We will be renting.

Questions!
1. Can anyone recmomend a great playgroup for my 3 turning 4y old? Half day.
2. Am I right that it's 3 months rent up front? Is there anything else?
3. I see most rentals include white goods. What else is included? Curtains? Some places talk about snow removal. If this is not included do I pay someone for it or does my husband buy a shovel? 😂
4. Coming from South Africa the no fence/burglar/alarm/armed security company is scary! Do I just let the kids roam free in the back garden/neighbourhood!? Am I safeel in the house alone if my husband is travelling or do I need a security system/alarm?
5. Any car leasing company recommendations?
6. I need to order beds - a double and a bunk - online for mu kids. Any recommendations? Something basic, white wood, solid, won't cost the earth etc?

Thanks so much and apologies in advance for the next for million questions! 🙈
1) I don't know because I don't live there.

2) It could be up to 4 months of rent (first month, last month, security deposit and broker's fee).

3) What are white goods? Usually apartments are unfurnished but most include a fridge and stove. If you're renting a single family house, the landlord can make snow removal your responsibility (this depends on the lease so read it carefully). You can buy a shovel but if you rent a place with a large driveway you'll probably want a plow service.

4) Acton is generally a safe place. You'll probably find many people do have a security system. Burglars do like affluent towns and the presence of a security system is usually enough of a deterrent that they'll move on to the next house they see without one.

5) This could be very challenging for you if you don't have credit history in the US. I suggest visiting a dealer of a brand you're interested in and explain your situation.

6) Everyone's preferences are different on this.

Old 03-27-2016, 03:34 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,719,577 times
Are you renting a house from a private landlord or are you renting an apartment in some kind of complex?

From what I understand, crime is a much larger concern in well-off areas in S.A., than it is in well-off areas here in the U.S. I think you'd probably be fine without a security system but I'm sure many people in Acton do have them. Since you're renting, you'll need to check with the landlord about what sorts of things you can do.

I don't know what "White Goods" are, either. I think you might mean appliances. I would expect a rental home to have a stove/oven, refrigerator, and dishwasher, although there are some that don't include a refrigerator, and you'd get your own. (I don't think this is that common, though.) If the place doesn't have a dishwasher, the kitchen probably isn't set up for one, and you can't really put one in. However, I would also expect most rental homes to have a dishwasher. Many rentals do include a washer/dryer, although this is much more of an option. I would expect most rental houses to have a washer/dryer hookup, where you could place your own washer and dryer.

Most rental properties would include window coverings, but this is not guaranteed.

If you're in some kind of rental complex, snow removal is likely (but not necessarily) included. If you rent a private home in a neighborhood, it most likely is not included (although it is possible it could be.) You would need to ask the landlord.

If you plan to lease a car, just go to a dealer of the type of car you are interested in and see what they have to offer.

As far as furniture, I'd just order something from Jordan's. Jordan's Furniture in Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Rhode Island and Connecticut

Old 03-27-2016, 04:18 PM

10,007 posts, read 15,647,185 times
"White goods" at least in the US traditionally means sheets, towels, blankets, etc. Except for a vacation rental, you can't expect them to be supplied. Maybe the OP meant appliances, I don't know.

Old 03-27-2016, 04:19 PM

6,569 posts, read 6,732,860 times
You are in a very safe area.....of course stay alert, but don't worry too much. Good luck & welcome

Old 03-27-2016, 05:39 PM

9,874 posts, read 7,197,601 times
White goods = appliances. Most rentals will include all of them.

As for the car, you can go to any local dealer and lease a car. Unfortunately without a credit history, you won't be able to rent or finance a car. You may have to look at buying a car and paying it in full.

Snow will probably be your responsibility if you rent a home. Depending on the length of the drive and the depth of the snowfall, a shovel may work. Personally I have a teen for that and even he requires a snowblower.

Old 03-27-2016, 06:11 PM

317 posts, read 331,380 times
If you look at the crime data for Acton on city-data it says there has been one murder in roughly 20 years (and it was a domestic incident). There are some parts of the US where gated communities are common, but they are not too prevalent in the northeast. We actually didn't lock my house during the day growing up. We would have to search for the key before going on vacation to lock up for the week. Chances are your rental will not have an alarm system. But rest assured you are in one of the safest areas in MA, which is one of the safest states in the US.

Old 03-27-2016, 08:00 PM

Great thanks everyone.
Yes sorry, by white goods I mean the large appliances like fridge etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts