Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 08:53 PM

7 posts, read 10,706 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are contemplating moving from Andover to Middleton. We have two children.
What are the pros and cons of living in Middleton? We will be commuting to Medford.
Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2016, 01:43 AM

513 posts, read 639,707 times
Middleton is a small, quiet town. There is a lot less going on there than Andover. This could be a pro or con depending on what you are looking for.
I think the commute will be a bit worse to Medford, simply because you will no longer be off 93. The 95/93 split is a nightmare. You can avoid it by using side roads, but a lot of people do so those side roads are very congested.
I personally find Middleton to be difficult to get around in. Almost every neighborhood in Middleton is a cul de sac. Therefore, 62 and 114 are almost the only continuous roads in town and can get very congested at rush hour (and school pickup).
The schools are good, but so are Andover Schools.

Old 04-05-2016, 10:31 AM

550 posts, read 673,021 times
The pro's about the Masco school district is that they do rank higher, free kindergarten and they offer before and after school care for the students. This is something that Andover is lacking. I know parents are trying to get Free full day K and they are also trying to implement a district run before/after school care. I would say the only con to Middleton is the no highway access. The commute to Medford will be more difficult than Andover. It is also a very small town with a lot less going on.

Old 04-05-2016, 11:07 AM

9,780 posts, read 7,034,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sal1181 View Post
The pro's about the Masco school district is that they do rank higher, free kindergarten and they offer before and after school care for the students. This is something that Andover is lacking. I know parents are trying to get Free full day K and they are also trying to implement a district run before/after school care. I would say the only con to Middleton is the no highway access. The commute to Medford will be more difficult than Andover. It is also a very small town with a lot less going on.
I have driven through Middleton and it seems unless you live in the two far eastern neighborhoods that are actually near 95, getting anywhere is a chore. Residents may have a different opinion.

Old 04-05-2016, 11:10 AM

15,684 posts, read 20,181,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
I have driven through Middleton and it seems unless you live in the two far eastern neighborhoods that are actually near 95, getting anywhere is a chore. Residents may have a different opinion.

I would concur. If you live elsewhere in Middleton, you'll be driving 15-20 mins just to reach the highway. Then you have the fun of sitting on I-95 to get to 93 to head south to Medford.

62 and 114 can get quite congested and slow at times.

Old 04-06-2016, 07:52 AM

3,668 posts, read 7,356,184 times
Can't imagine someone leaving Andover to move to Middleton. I know people who have moved from Middleton to Andover, however.

Old 04-06-2016, 04:02 PM

550 posts, read 673,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
Can't imagine someone leaving Andover to move to Middleton. I know people who have moved from Middleton to Andover, however.
school system ranks higher. That might be enough reason for some to move. Also the fact that Andover has the highest Kindergarten tuition in the state and has no school run before/after school childcare available. Also no Lawrence next door. The heroine epidemic has hit Andover hard

Last edited by sal1181; 04-06-2016 at 04:13 PM..

Old 04-06-2016, 07:12 PM

7 posts, read 10,706 times
Right on Sal1181! We would save 5K by having one of our kids in free kindergarten in Middleton as opposed to Andover in a school that is higher ranked (9 on great schools as opposed to 8 for the elementary he would be going to Andover)...the after school care situation in Andover is horrible...the kids have to be bused to a non-profit...that is not something we want for our kindergartner

Old 04-06-2016, 08:52 PM

404 posts, read 522,852 times
Greatschools is the Donald Trump of school ranking....play to the lowest common denominator...keep it dumb, simple, color coded and play to people's fears/emotions.

Can you look yourself in the mirror and say out loud, even yell it: "I am moving because the kindergarten in Middleton ranks higher on greatschools than the kindergarten in andover!" ...and try not to laugh?

My bad...elementary. I must have gone to a 7 or lower school system poor reading skills

Old 04-06-2016, 09:12 PM

434 posts, read 506,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traffic_lover View Post
Greatschools is the Donald Trump of school ranking....play to the lowest common denominator...keep it dumb, simple, color coded and play to people's fears/emotions.

Can you look yourself in the mirror and say out loud, even yell it: "I am moving because the kindergarten in Middleton ranks higher on greatschools than the kindergarten in andover!" ...and try not to laugh?

My bad...elementary. I must have gone to a 7 or lower school system poor reading skills
S/he also listed several other reasons for the move, not just the school ranking. Maybe you don't have kids, so you don't get how big a deal before/after school care is, but it's huge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts