U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 10:50 AM

5 posts, read 9,316 times

Advertisements

Hi

We are moving to MA this April due to a job relocation. I have two boys aged 12 & 13.

We have searched online and narrowed areas down to Auburn, Sturbridge, Shrewsbury, Northbridge, Brookfield & Charlton. HELP.

We currently live in a town population around 16,000.00 but packed together. The boys are able to walk to local shops, cinema & leisure facilities and we all like to walk into town to eat out some evenings and go to the pub. We belong to a local rugby club and one of my boy's plays football for a local club. We would like our new home to be within a walkable or driving distance to some of the above. Do any of them have rugby clubs or football clubs.

The boys want to know what the local kids do after school and at weekends.

Their d.o.b's are 04/07/94 - aged 13 and 05/10/95 - aged 12. What grade would they start school?

Would love to hear back from anyone that lives in the above areas.

Thanks Jac
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 02:56 PM

100 posts, read 457,257 times
of those I would choose Shrewbury for all your reasons and its not so isolated as some of the others, though walking to a pub isn't the norm, Americans tend to drive everywhere, gas is only $3 a US gallon (1.50 GBP & slightly smaller than Imperial gallon). Bring your credit history over with you through a high street bank. Football is soccer and is played in all towns in sports leagues and as a school sport in high school (generally age 14). 12 years old is likely 6th grade though you are coming in at the end of the year as most schools end in mid June. Where will you be working? I have moved several UK residents to the US and I have now done the switch to the UK. Best of luck the more info you post the more helpful people can be, cheers.

Old 02-12-2008, 03:17 PM

8,952 posts, read 13,923,464 times
Your boys, if they lived here, would be in 7th and 8th grade. We call that middle school. Your older boy (same age as my youngest daughter) would start high school next september.

As pondhopper said, there are lots of soccer leagues and you'll want to find out when the requirements are for signing up for the high school teams as practice often starts in late august before school begins.

I believe there is a youth rugby league in the greater Worcester area, but I don't know the details.

Old 02-13-2008, 11:50 AM

5 posts, read 9,316 times
Thanks for the replies so far. Hoping to visit from Feb 23rd. looking forward to looking around.

Old 02-13-2008, 02:43 PM

14,745 posts, read 19,694,407 times
I don't know of any amateur rugby leagues (a Google search might be the most useful!) but most local colleges have men's and women's rugby. Women's rugby is great! I'm a huge fan. So you can still get a bit of your rugby fix as a fan.

Old 02-13-2008, 02:57 PM

100 posts, read 457,257 times
PS any estate agent can show you EVERY property unlike in the UK! If you have specific questions feel free to PM me as I said I've moved a few people including myself!

Old 02-13-2008, 08:39 PM

27 posts, read 114,270 times
I would recommend Shrewsbury as I see it as the best fit for a family coming from the UK. The schools are highly regarded, there are houses in a wide price range, and there are many conveniences. The town is suburban and has a New England feel to it. I would also recommend looking into Westborough and Holden.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:42 PM

10,754 posts, read 34,111,824 times
Years back I lived in Shrewsbury and I loved it. Its close to Route 9 which will give you quick access to surrounding areas.

I hope you enjoy your time in the US. April is a gorgeous time in New England. If your into learning about history, there is SO much to see.

Please take your kids to Sturbridge Village once you get settled, the summer is a nice time to visit. Plymouth is also a nice place to visit.

Old 02-15-2008, 10:39 AM

2 posts, read 3,734 times
Live in the area. Many good private schools, also. St. John's in Shrewsbury comes to mind. Charlton is also nice rural area with excellent school system. Taxes are better in Charlton, though. Shrewsbury's are exorbitant. Visit any town online or check out Mass.Gov for statistics on all 351 cities and towns in Massachusetts.
Good luck

Old 02-15-2008, 06:50 PM

27 posts, read 114,270 times
I belive the above information is incorrect. The tax rates are very similar. However, the assesed value of homes is much higher in Shrewsbury. These communites are two very different types of communites. Charton is more country while Shrewsbury is very suburban....I guess it depends on what you are looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts