Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2016, 09:43 AM

113 posts, read 154,383 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

After quite a long search, I have a pending agreement to purchase a house in metro west. I was able to win the bid, in part, by allowing the seller to rent back his house up to a hard deadline. So I'm going to be a landlord, which I never intended to do, and know nothing about. Questions: (1) How do I ensure that this arrangement goes smoothly? (2) Can anyone recommend a lawyer in Lexington/Arlington/Belmont/Cambridge/Somerville to help me draft the lease? I want to make sure this lease leaves no room for misunderstandings. Please direct message me if you have a recommendation.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 09:49 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,697,239 times
Whose idea was this? Because it doesn't sound like this is what you wanted.

Personally I wouldnt be comfortable with this situation if it were me. There are way to many things that could go wrong.

Old 04-11-2016, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
Whose idea was this? Because it doesn't sound like this is what you wanted.

Personally I wouldnt be comfortable with this situation if it were me. There are way to many things that could go wrong.
No, I didn't want to do this, but seller needs the accommodation to get his new house. It's part of what I did to edge out the competition. With help from a good lawyer on this, I think I'll be okay.

Old 04-11-2016, 10:13 AM

434 posts, read 510,636 times
Are you using a RE attorney for your closing? I'd just use him/her. Writing up a lease is pretty standard stuff.

Old 04-11-2016, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan0105 View Post
Are you using a RE attorney for your closing? I'd just use him/her. Writing up a lease is pretty standard stuff.
Thanks, just confirmed with my RE attorney that he handles these Use & Occupancy Agreements on a routine basis. So I'll go with him.

Old 04-11-2016, 01:39 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo21 View Post
Thanks, just confirmed with my RE attorney that he handles these Use & Occupancy Agreements on a routine basis. So I'll go with him.
I've been a part of many transactions with a U&O Agreement. Here's a few suggestions:

1. Hold back part of the seller's proceeds in escrow as a "security deposit."
2. Write in a large per diem penalty the seller will have to pay if he stays beyond the move out date.

There's really nothing you can do to insure this will go smoothly but that doesn't mean you can't protect yourself in every way possible.

Are your parents living in the other unit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts