Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 03:48 PM

42 posts, read 39,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
So you are basing this on scores provided by a website, not observation and experience?
495- bingo! Why use real life experience when you can rely on niche and other websites all day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2016, 05:08 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbqtim View Post
495- bingo! Why use real life experience when you can rely on niche and other websites all day?
Forget that anecdotal evidence can be misleading, the believability scales goes like this for most people:

1) Personal experience
2) someone else you trust
3) website with "objective" scores
4) someone you know
5) random internet person who agrees with you
6) random internet person
7) random internet person who disagrees with you
100000) someone selling something

Old 05-03-2016, 06:12 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,644,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
Forget that anecdotal evidence can be misleading, the believability scales goes like this for most people:

1) Personal experience
2) someone else you trust
3) website with "objective" scores
4) someone you know
5) random internet person who agrees with you
6) random internet person
7) random internet person who disagrees with you
100000) someone selling something

When someone merely bases their opinion of a town from a stat provided by a website, I'm highly inclined to believe the person may rarely or never have visited an area or town in person.

Old 05-03-2016, 06:31 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,971 times
Quote:
When someone merely bases their opinion of a town from a stat provided by a website, I'm highly inclined to believe the person may rarely or never have visited an area or town in person.
I don't frequent either Lexington or Arlington but I used to live nearby and have friends that live on the border and I'd agree with his assessment. Parts of Lexington are as walkable as parts of Arlington, but on the average Arlington is more walkable than Lexington. It seems like that is consistent with what you said and what he said.

And when someone cites a source I usually don't assume they have no idea what they're talking about, I usually assume they don't just expect everyone to take their word for it. That difference could be because I'm a scientist by day and that's what I had drilled into me in school.

Old 05-03-2016, 07:05 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
I don't frequent either Lexington or Arlington but I used to live nearby and have friends that live on the border and I'd agree with his assessment. Parts of Lexington are as walkable as parts of Arlington, but on the average Arlington is more walkable than Lexington. It seems like that is consistent with what you said and what he said.

And when someone cites a source I usually don't assume they have no idea what they're talking about, I usually assume they don't just expect everyone to take their word for it. That difference could be because I'm a scientist by day and that's what I had drilled into me in school.

I follow your line of thinking, but that said I figure from living it in (briefly) and next door (a long time) the walkability of Arlington has all to do with the Mass Ave corridor, which is decisively different from something like Belmont which has centers, Belmont Center, Waverly, Cushing, etc. It makes sense to me though. Mass Ave is a huge linear strip which touches on most everything.

Old 05-03-2016, 09:27 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,724,745 times
We looked at all these towns and more when we were in the throes of our home search. We found many homes in Lexington that were not really walkable to anything. And while we really liked all of the 3 centers of Arlington along Mass Ave, and would have loved to find a house that was walking distance to one of them, it seemed like almost every house we saw and would seriously consider was not near any of the commercial areas and again, weren't walkable to anything.

There was a house we very nearly purchased in Needham, which, if I'm not mistaken has a lower overall walkscore than does Arlington. But this house had a walk score of 82 -- that was the factor that made us gaga for this house, even though there were a couple other major negatives for us with that house. Every house we saw in Needham had much more walkability than the houses we saw in Arlington, which struck us as ironic, given what we were expecting in that realm.

We also loved how close Arlington was to Alewife station. We liked how Belmont had the train, and Winchester even had 2 train stops, but Lex had none, so for us Lexington just kept falling down notches on our list.

We ended up in Newton, and while there aren't tons of things we can walk to, we are ecstatic that we can walk to the T. Of the towns in this thread, the only town where that was even a possibility was Arlington.

I think its walkability, access to public transportation, and its proximity to Cambridge will keep Arlington housing prices on an upward trajectory for a while.

Old 05-03-2016, 11:35 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,332,972 times
Quote:
So you are basing this on scores provided by a website, not observation and experience?
Both, I have been to most parts of all of these towns, but if you haven't noticed I prefer data to anecdotal observations. I do find walkscore to be pretty accurate especially the color graded heat map.

Old 05-04-2016, 07:11 AM

15,797 posts, read 20,504,199 times
I've always thought Arlington was underrated. About 10-15 years ago I thought it would be an ideal place to live, but unfortunately it's location never really fit in well with where I needed to be and my commute. Glad to see it's finally getting some of the recognition I always thought it deserved.

Old 05-04-2016, 07:26 AM

15 posts, read 19,032 times
Arlington recently did a study on enrollment and projected out to 2025 or 2030. Over the next few years these are the main projects:
1.) Refurbish Stratton, the last of 7 elementary schools to be rebuilt or combined refreshed. Stratton has a low student/teacher ratio compared to the others so imagine that's part of the reason why it is last. Work is supposed to start in the fall.
2.) Addition to Thompson, another elementary school in town
3.) Reopen Gibbs School, a school building owned by the town currently leased by a private school and some other organizations. Plan is to have a single 6th grade similar to how they do it in Needham. Ottoson Middle School would be used for 7th and 8th grade.
4.) Rebuild the high school - The town has already gone through the initial steps with the state. I bet the timeline is 5-6 years away.

My wife and I live in town and have a 6 month old so I can't comment heavily on the schools. That said, I'm impressed that people in town recognize the importance of quality schools and have started looking at enrollment trends now.

Old 05-04-2016, 07:37 AM

204 posts, read 286,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I've always thought Arlington was underrated. About 10-15 years ago I thought it would be an ideal place to live, but unfortunately it's location never really fit in well with where I needed to be and my commute. Glad to see it's finally getting some of the recognition I always thought it deserved.
I agree. If money were no object, and if my partner didn't feel so strongly about having a larger lot and garage, Arlington would have been my top pick with Brookline a close second. I'd choose it over Belmont, Winchester, or Lexington. Although now that I've lived here for a bit I think I actually prefer being along the river. Watertown would be top of my list now if their schools keep trending up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts