Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2016, 07:56 AM

317 posts, read 431,362 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a gym in the area that focuses on weight loss and strength training in a group type setting, that is somewhat intense and offers a 'bootcamp' style training. I haven't had much luck to date, so am looking for suggestions from the forum.

Friends in other parts of the country have found, for example, a 'total transformation' gym, where you enroll in a class that meets most days for an hour or so for 6 - 8 weeks, with the goal being to make you lose 20 lbs in that timeframe. The workout was done as a class, but the specific exercises / weights etc. and a diet plan were specifically tailored for you, one-on-one. Your individual progress would be monitored weekly, and your plan adjusted as needed. After the initial 'bootcamp' period, you can still continue as a member with a tailored plan to continue physical improvement.

The closest thing I can find in my area are Crossfit classes, but that's not quite what I'm looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2016, 08:41 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
A lady friend of mine did Barry's Bootcamp and loved it, she lost a ton of weight and looks great. I don't know if there was a diet component.

Old 05-06-2016, 09:25 AM

204 posts, read 286,479 times
My boxing gym, Nonantum Boxing, offers a bootcamp fitness-style class called Boxygen. I think it's only 3 days a week, and it's not specifically tailored to the individual. But holy crap does it get you in shape and stronger. I'm pretty sure losing 15-20 lbs would sort of just happen if you went every class and pushed yourself. You wouldn't get hit – just do a lot of bodyweight and free weight exercises and hit a punching bag. I'd say it's physically as intense, but maybe socially(? culturally?) less intense than Crossfit.

Old 05-06-2016, 10:09 AM

779 posts, read 877,194 times
I take Les Mills classes at my YMCA. They offer Body Pump, Body Combat, Core workout, etc. and I love them. Plus the Y has a ton of classes, which is great if you need some flexibility.

(I think all the Ys in the area offer Les Mills classes?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts