Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 10:32 AM

3 posts, read 6,392 times

Advertisements

Raynham might be a decent option.

Small town close to highways, about a 10-15 minute ride to Brockton, shopping, 20 minutes down 44 to Plymouth beaches
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2016, 12:53 AM

6 posts, read 6,263 times
Yellowcub7! This is such a small world. I've lived in Foxboro and Newburyport. Foxboro has great schools if you're looking for that. Also a strong sense of community and lots of youth sports.

Walpole is also very family oriented and was in the Boston Globe Magazine a couple weeks ago as one of the most desirables towns in MA to live in. At 400k or less in these two towns you are looking at Capes or Ranches. There are 2 Capes for sale at 389k that look well cared for, well maintained, tidy.

I'd also recommend you look at Sharon, MA. There are currently 6 Ranch homes priced 330-399 with 3 BRs and 1 4BR.
I haven't been to Sharon lately but know several families who have moved there recently.
Once you narrow down your area, if you'd like a referral to a professional responsive realtor, let me know and I'll give you some recommendations.

Old 05-16-2016, 01:57 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,693,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthShoreMASS View Post
Yellowcub7! This is such a small world. I've lived in Foxboro and Newburyport. Foxboro has great schools if you're looking for that. Also a strong sense of community and lots of youth sports.

Walpole is also very family oriented and was in the Boston Globe Magazine a couple weeks ago as one of the most desirables towns in MA to live in. At 400k or less in these two towns you are looking at Capes or Ranches. There are 2 Capes for sale at 389k that look well cared for, well maintained, tidy.

I'd also recommend you look at Sharon, MA. There are currently 6 Ranch homes priced 330-399 with 3 BRs and 1 4BR.
I haven't been to Sharon lately but know several families who have moved there recently.
Once you narrow down your area, if you'd like a referral to a professional responsive realtor, let me know and I'll give you some recommendations.
Anything under $400k in Foxboro or Sharon will either be extremely small or in need of serious updating. And even if all looks fine in pictures there is usually some major issue(s) that you won't discover until later.

Old 05-16-2016, 01:15 PM

3 posts, read 9,985 times
Hi there, I currently live in Foxboro and I love it! Great location - lots to do. I'm originally from Medway, probably a bit too far from where you are trying to be. You should check out Stoughton, Easton, Mansfield...all decent school systems. Nothing spectacular. If you are thinking about the other side, Plymouth is a great option. Affordable, beautiful, lots to do. Pembroke/Abington/Marshfield may not give you what you are looking for in the $400's.

Last edited by CaseyB; 05-16-2016 at 02:05 PM.. Reason: no soliciting

Old 05-16-2016, 04:56 PM

434 posts, read 510,222 times
Sorry, I skimmed -- was Kingston mentioned? You can get something nice there for $400,000. Schools are solid (not 10s on greatschools or anything, but fine), it's on the water, and you could do back roads to Brockton. For example of what you could get there in your price range, look up 201 Parting Ways Road on Redfin.

Old 05-17-2016, 04:37 AM

374 posts, read 654,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jan0105 View Post
Sorry, I skimmed -- was Kingston mentioned? You can get something nice there for $400,000. Schools are solid (not 10s on greatschools or anything, but fine), it's on the water, and you could do back roads to Brockton. For example of what you could get there in your price range, look up 201 Parting Ways Road on Redfin.

How does this help the OP? Kingston would not be a quick drive. It would be 45 minutes to an hour each way.

bill

Last edited by CaseyB; 05-17-2016 at 04:39 AM.. Reason: rude

Old 05-17-2016, 04:39 AM

374 posts, read 654,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steephill2 View Post
Just an FYI lower taxes MAY correlate to why Whitman is ranked 10th LOWEST in per pupil spend 2013-2014 in terms of schools in the entire state. Im not saying they have bad schools but less taxes means less spending elsewhere. I will assume the other schools that have these astronomic taxes may have slightly better schools.

I am not a realtor. I actually scratch my head all the time how the industry pays by commission like the car sales industry, therefore encouraging quick high offer purchases/sales as well as high volume, which contradicts the supposed " in the best interests of the buy/seller. I do believe this industry is ripe for disruption. The only issue is its such a big transaction many people are scared.

What I do agree with you is the skew toward certain areas in this thread, its most definitely noticeable. Like people trying to fit a circle into a square. In fairness to the realtors, everyone who posts here has some sort of motivation. Its like a neverending back and forth with some people pushing whats better: urban vs suburban, walkabble vs large lots, metrowest vs nother/south shores, good vs bad schools, high vs low taxes, car vs train, etc.

Spending money on nothing does not equate to success. Their STEM program is actually better than the surrounding schools. They get every new toy such as 3D printers.
Their high school blueprint is recommended as a model to build plans for new high schools.

Old 05-17-2016, 04:54 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,693,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n1ey View Post
Spending money on nothing does not equate to success. Their STEM program is actually better than the surrounding schools. They get every new toy such as 3D printers.
Their high school blueprint is recommended as a model to build plans for new high schools.
Having toys means nothing if the students don't care. I'm actually surprised you haven't told the OP to live in Brockton yet since you rave about their schools being better than Newton lol.

Old 05-17-2016, 05:57 AM

434 posts, read 510,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n1ey View Post
How does this help the OP? Kingston would not be a quick drive. It would be 45 minutes to an hour each way.

bill
I'm not sure what I ever did to you, other than disagree with you when you stated that Rockland schools were better than Norwell (!!!), but I could say the sky was blue and you'd argue with me.

Kingston to Brockton would be about a 45-minute commute. If you refer to the original post, she said she was looking for a 30 to 45 minute commute. So....

Old 05-17-2016, 06:56 AM

317 posts, read 430,896 times
I was once looking at a job in that area, and Plymouth struck me as an interesting place. Relatively affordable (some nicer homes in your price range by comparison to other areas), beach access, a town big enough to have most things you'd need in the area. The school ratings were above average -

I didn't find any first hand commentary though, which is always helpful. The only downfalls are that you would be sort of 'cut off' from the rest of the Boston area due to the neverending summer traffic on rte 3 (unlike Foxboro, where you'd have better access to western and southern Boston areas). However, there is a commuter rail for occasional access to Boston if a weekend trip here or there is all you desire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts